Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad Numbers 2013

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

When will our squad numbers be announced ? Halifax are the first in the championship to announced theirs,hope we are not too silly and have them too high like last time we had them.

#2 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'll try and find out for you today.

#3 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Tell them we don't want squad number. They have not worked before and will not now. Useless waste of resources. Useless.

1 to 17 should be used for the players, it's positions that count not names. In my book 14 & 15 should be used for the substitute backs and 16 & 17 for the forwards. It should be a rule/law that only two of each backs and forwards can be used.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#4 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Tell them we don't want squad number. They have not worked before and will not now. Useless waste of resources. Useless.

1 to 17 should be used for the players, it's positions that count not names. In my book 14 & 15 should be used for the substitute backs and 16 & 17 for the forwards. It should be a rule/law that only two of each backs and forwards can be used.

Don't like squad numbers myself, but you'd have a job with enforcing the substitution law - half of our squad are listed as backrow or centre, and our first choice halfback is listed as half back or hooker. I believe young aaron brown has played stand off, loose forward, second row and hooker.

#5 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Tell them we don't want squad number.

I'm flattered, but I don't think I have that much influence!

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

So when the full back packs down at the back of the scrum we have to wait for him to swap jerseys with the loose forward ? :mellow:

It's 1-17 that's not working. That's why it's been dropped after a season.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,843 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

So when the full back packs down at the back of the scrum we have to wait for him to swap jerseys with the loose forward ? :mellow:

It's 1-17 that's not working. That's why it's been dropped after a season.

Think you will find it's been 1-17 a lot longer than squad numbers.

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Not in the top division. Think you'll find they've never had 1-17. But thanks for the sarcasm. :lol:

But seriously .....

Jerseys are a lot closer fitting today. That's the difference.

#9 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,843 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Not in the top division. Think you'll find they've never had 1-17. But thanks for the sarcasm. :lol:

But seriously .....

Dewsbury are not in the top division. lol

But seriously .....

Edited by Spanish Knight, 28 November 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#10 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Well said Spanish Knight. Who cares what those in the "Top" division use. In my experience anything that that lot introduce is generally bo***cks and this is no exception.
I grew up with numbers 1 - 13 and I cant remember it causing any problems. Even those girlie Union boys have realised that 1-15 works best. You dont see them running out at Twickers with a number 38 on their back.....

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Works well ? :lol: :mellow:

There was one week in July this year when just five teams used jersey numbers 1-17 in both divisions of the CC - and two of those didn't start with 14-17 on the bench. <_<

Just browse through the back issues of League Express and look at those big, 20+ jersey numbers and then tell me whether it's working or not.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

:mellow:

#13 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Griff, it's just something I'd like to see, along with 3 points for a try and 2 for any type of goal - it's not going to happen!
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Ah, now that's another story.

I don't think we've gained anything from four points for a try. Has it ever turned a defeat into a win ? :huh:

#15 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Ah, now that's another story.

I don't think we've gained anything from four points for a try. Has it ever turned a defeat into a win ? :huh:

Dont get your point Griff. I think what us old timers remember is that for year after year teams used shirts numbered 1 - 13 and 14 and 15 for the subs. Match programmes contained the names of the players so you knew who everyone was and what position they were playing. It was simple and worked well. What you are talking about when suggesting I read the back pages I have no idea. I just know I preferred what I have desribed above. I dont know why we changed to squad rather than position numbers, but it sucks....

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Dont get your point Griff. I think what us old timers remember is that for year after year teams used shirts numbered 1 - 13 and 14 and 15 for the subs. Match programmes contained the names of the players so you knew who everyone was and what position they were playing. It was simple and worked well. What you are talking about when suggesting I read the back pages I have no idea. I just know I preferred what I have desribed above. I dont know why we changed to squad rather than position numbers, but it sucks....

Firstly, players don't stick to their positions like they used to (if they ever did ...).

Secondly, jerseys aren't one size fits all any more. They're much more tight fitting to stop "jersey grabbers". Ask your kitman how many jerseys he used in 2012 - I bet it won't be 17. Some of the numbers will have been duplicated So, are you really saving money ? No..

Thirdly, because of the size problem, more than half the clubs in the league aren't keeping to the rule anyway, so it's all a complete shambles.

Fourthly, a smart commercial manager will find it easier to sell player sponsorship if he can offer a gameworn shirt with the player's name and number on. As opposed to a shirt that he and maybe several others might have worn. So, are you missing a business opportunity ? Yes.

Finally, I don't get this number = position business. I know who's playing prop or centre or whatever by the place they stand on the field. I'm sure you do too. Anyone who doesn't ... well, he doesn't have sufficient understanding of the game yet for it to matter to him.

Squad numbers are the future. The fact that we've reverted once and then abandoned 1-17 after only one season should tell you that.

Times change. We have to move along.

#17 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Apparently it's all to do with the new, tight fitting spandex shirts that reduce the chance of you being tackled. If you have to wear a shirt that doesn't fit tightly, then the opposition are at an advantage. Of course, if they ever bring in the concept of tackling round the legs, then they'll have to bring in tight fitiing shorts as well. One presumes that the shirts are individually taylored to fit the player at the beginning of the season - which must have been a problem for big james walker, who went from dress size 30 to size 18 as the season progressed. Shirts are expensive, so you can't have two or three different sizes in numbers 1-17, instead you have individual shirts numbered 1 to whatever, although I think under WJ at one point it was 1 to 58 - which must have worked out more expensive. Those of us who still live in the dark ages, yearning for the days when blokes trotted out in ill fitting shirts, and when there was no such thing as a utility player, are going to have to put up with innovative ideas like squad numbers I'm afraid. :huh:

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Apparently it's all to do with the new, tight fitting spandex shirts that reduce the chance of you being tackled. If you have to wear a shirt that doesn't fit tightly, then the opposition are at an advantage. Of course, if they ever bring in the concept of tackling round the legs, then they'll have to bring in tight fitiing shorts as well. One presumes that the shirts are individually taylored to fit the player at the beginning of the season - which must have been a problem for big james walker, who went from dress size 30 to size 18 as the season progressed. Shirts are expensive, so you can't have two or three different sizes in numbers 1-17, instead you have individual shirts numbered 1 to whatever, although I think under WJ at one point it was 1 to 58 - which must have worked out more expensive. Those of us who still live in the dark ages, yearning for the days when blokes trotted out in ill fitting shirts, and when there was no such thing as a utility player, are going to have to put up with innovative ideas like squad numbers I'm afraid. :huh:

Sorry - griff has already beaten me to the reply.

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

What you are talking about when suggesting I read the back pages I have no idea.

Back issues, not back pages.

League Express print the numbers of the jerseys that the players wore. See for yourself how few teams stuck to 1-17, with 14-17 starting on the bench.

#20 landy13

landy13
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

I think the driver is the Commercial side as mentioned earlier, and Kids want replica shirts with their favorite players names and numbers on the back

but to add to that list of benefits

Squad numbers also help spectators (especially for people new to the game, who we have to attract if the game is to grow) identify who players are from both teams

Clubs can print the full squad list in the programme, rather than guessing who the 17 will be only for it to inevitabley be wrong, or even worse not providing them at all

(slight aside but i'd like to see a small number on the front of the shirt too)
www.matchdayphotography.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users