Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad Numbers 2013

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Maybe - but at our club, the driver was definitely the kitman. :rolleyes:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Finally, I don't get this number = position business. I know who's playing prop or centre or whatever by the place they stand on the field. I'm sure you do too. Anyone who doesn't ... well, he doesn't have sufficient understanding of the game yet for it to matter to him.

So when a winger moves in to the middle of the pitch to take the first ball from dummy half you know what position he plays due to where he’s stood?

With all players moving around for the game you can’t justify this one.

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

So when a winger moves in to the middle of the pitch to take the first ball from dummy half you know what position he plays due to where he’s stood?

With all players moving around for the game you can’t justify this one.

In that case, neither can you justify jersey numbers matching positions.

Easily solved by the winger swapping jerseys with the hooker before he takes up the dummy half position. ^_^

#24 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Apparently it's all to do with the new, tight fitting spandex shirts that reduce the chance of you being tackled. If you have to wear a shirt that doesn't fit tightly, then the opposition are at an advantage. Of course, if they ever bring in the concept of tackling round the legs, then they'll have to bring in tight fitiing shorts as well. One presumes that the shirts are individually taylored to fit the player at the beginning of the season - which must have been a problem for big james walker, who went from dress size 30 to size 18 as the season progressed. Shirts are expensive, so you can't have two or three different sizes in numbers 1-17, instead you have individual shirts numbered 1 to whatever, although I think under WJ at one point it was 1 to 58 - which must have worked out more expensive. Those of us who still live in the dark ages, yearning for the days when blokes trotted out in ill fitting shirts, and when there was no such thing as a utility player, are going to have to put up with innovative ideas like squad numbers I'm afraid. :huh:

Thanks Grumpy. That's a far better, more eloquent answer. I think I get it now. thanks. Still think we should go back to winter rugby though.....

#25 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Griff, you seem to forget that we need to bring the youngsters to watch our game, but at the moment, it would seem the older end might be in the majority. Therefore we should keep the 1-17 numbers; they are much larger than names on the back of a player's shirt. Some of us have eyesight that varies in quality and names are harder to read, especially as they are not D.D.A. compliant in using all upper case lettering.

When the majority of fans swings to the youth of the day, then squad numbers could be considered.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Griff, you seem to forget that we need to bring the youngsters to watch our game, but at the moment, it would seem the older end might be in the majority. Therefore we should keep the 1-17 numbers; they are much larger than names on the back of a player's shirt. Some of us have eyesight that varies in quality and names are harder to read, especially as they are not D.D.A. compliant in using all upper case lettering.

When the majority of fans swings to the youth of the day, then squad numbers could be considered.

All the more reason to use bigger numbers.

I don't get your point, really. If you can't read the name, you've still got a number.

Edited by Griff, 03 December 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Maybe we could be the first club to use a cunningly devised set of hieroglyphs to denote the players name, starting position and utility value. These could also be scanned by fans using smart phones to also provide pen pictures, details of favourite meals, best films, details of sponsor, minimum signing on requirements etc. One for you Tom I reckon!

I don't think I'd have to spend any more time than at present in scouring the programme to identify the opposition players (and probably our own for half of the season).
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

All the more reason to use bigger numbers.

I don't get your point, really. If you can't read the name, you've still got a number.

It is you who doesn't seem to get the point. Larger numbers are not necessary and will not help you know the player's position when used as a squad number. It's easier to remember that the scrum half is (e.g.) Smith. than no. 23, Smith is a scrum half.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#29 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

(and probably our own for half of the season).

Do not fear BSJ. Unlike the last three seasons, when we have been more likely to know the oppo's players than our own, I confidently predict that this year we will have more or less the same team every week and even my Dad will know who one or two of the players are. hes spent the last three years saying "who's he again"...except Austin of course...

#30 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

It is you who doesn't seem to get the point.

No, that's what I said. :huh:

#31 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Do not fear BSJ. Unlike the last three seasons, when we have been more likely to know the oppo's players than our own, I confidently predict that this year we will have more or less the same team every week and even my Dad will know who one or two of the players are. hes spent the last three years saying "who's he again"...except Austin of course...

I am NOT NickD's father in case anyone is wondering, but I do suffer from the same problem.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#32 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Familiarise yourself ahead of Boxing Day

Gallagher and Cosgrove photos to come, plus I'm hoping to get the heights and weights of all the players in there too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users