Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Leeds Rhinos are set to rename Monday 3rd December as Sir Kevin Sinfield Day in honour of their legendary captain, who will celebrate a decade as skipper next Monday.

Sinfield, who is called Sir Kevin Sinfield by Rhinos fans, was given the captain’s armband by then-Head Coach Daryl Powell on 3rd December 2002 when he became the youngster ever captain in the club’s history. In the intervening ten years, the Oldham-born star has led his side to 17 major finals, winning nine of them, including a record breaking six Grand Finals along with two League Leaders Shields. He is set for a huge year in 2013 as he leads the Rhinos in their defence of their Super League and World titles as well as another assault on the one trophy that has alluded him so far, the Challenge Cup, in which he has played in five Finals.

As well as club duties, this Autumn Sinfield successfully followed team mate Jamie Peacock as England captain and is set to lead his country into a home World Cup at the end of 2013. Sinfield also holds the record for most goals and points in a career at Leeds, along with the same title in Super League, and is currently ninth in the all time list of points scorers in Rugby League.

Commenting on the day, Media & PR Manager Phil Daly said, “It has been a privilege for all Rhinos fans to have seen Kevin Sinfield lead this team for the last decade. When you have people like BBC presenter Clare Balding describing Kevin as the most impressive sportsman she has ever seen, it shows the high regard in which he is held. However, perhaps the most impressive thing about Kevin is how modest he is about his own ability and his contribution to our recent success and it will be great to have a day when we can all say thank you to him.”

The club are looking to use the power of social media to increase awareness of the achievements of their record breaking captain. The Rhinos are asking fans on Twitter to mark a decade of Sinfield’s leadership at 1pm (13:00) on Monday by tweeting a message and including the hashtag

#SirKevDay.

Daly added, “What Kevin Sinfield has achieved in the last decade is remarkable and hopefully the best is yet to come. A big admirer of his is Manchester United star Wayne Rooney, who tweeted to his over 5 million followers after the Grand Final about how good Kevin is.

"However, it would be great to draw the attention of the wider public to Kevin’s contribution to sport in this country and if we can get the hashtag trending on Monday it would be brilliant."

Monday 3rd December is the Rhinos Early Bird Deadline for season ticket holders to renew their 2013 memberships and save, and with an influx of fans expected to the club this weekend it is a great chance to celebrate the captain’s achievements with the club.

Supporters will be able to sign a giant banner in the club shop from this Saturday to express their thanks to Sir Kevin which will then be presented to Sinfield, who is the longest serving and most successful captain in the club’s history.

In the shop and online at the official club retail store fans will also be able to grab a bargain with the new 2013 Leeds Rhinos shirt. This weekend and until 5pm fans will be able to have Sinfield or Sir Kev and his number 13 squad number printed on the new replica shirt at a bargain price.

And to cap Sir Kevin Sinfield Day, all 2013 members who have renewed 5pm on Monday 3rd December, will go into a draw to win a meal with Kevin Sinfield for themself and two friends.

The ticket office and club shop are open from 9am until 4pm this Saturday, closed on Sunday but open from 9am until 5pm on Monday 3rd December. Visit our official Facebook page and leave your message to Sir Kev.
http://www.facebook....srhinosofficial

Edited by Honor James, 28 November 2012 - 10:52 AM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Congratulations and well deserved. Whilst Sinfield may have his detractors on whether he is good enough to play for England let alone captain them there is no denying that he has been fantastic for Leeds and will be remembered as a legend long after he has finished playing. I also believe he has been a fine ambassador for Rugby League and from what I know of him and what people who I know who have had dealings with him he is also a true gentleman
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thoroughly deserved apart from the cynical marketing campaign.
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#4 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

One of the outstanding players of Super League and I think Leeds are doing a fantastic job in elevating a true champion!!!

Congrats to Kevin and the Leeds club

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,576 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Mind you, given Sinfield's old-school leftie convictions, I wonder how he feels about the unofficial knighthood. :unsure:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,956 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Sorry, but am I the only one who thinks this is just ridiculous?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

It's a marketing campaign,nothing more,nothing less.
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#8 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Well deserved. I have fantastic respect for him a player. Wish he was a Saint Kev instead of a Sir Kev ;)

Posted Image

#9 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

It's a marketing campaign,nothing more,nothing less.

Exactly.

Its a nice touch though.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Is it a Bank Holiday? Then I'm not interested.

Still, it's better than Lancashite day, which, quite rightly, swept past without any notice whatsoever.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thoroughly deserved apart from the cynical marketing campaign.

It is a marketing campaign and I hOPE Kevin sinfields permission was asked about this.Of course it may be a cheaper option for Gary to commissioning a statue

Mind you, given Sinfield's old-school leftie convictions, I wonder how he feels about the unofficial knighthood. :unsure:

We may see Kevins attitued to medals of Empire and Knighthoods when he gets offered a medal,if he hasn't already politely refused one,but Leeds City Council should take note of this publicity and award him the FREEDOM OF THE CITY
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#12 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Nope - I have so much respect for Sinfield and what he has achieved but this is just a bit of a cash in and unashamedly so. He deserves so much better than a half-hearted attempt to trend on twitter (an honour he'll be telling the grandkids about no doubt, along with his sackfull of Grand Final rings...!).

I don't object to the idea of a Sir Kev Day, but tie it in with a pre-season match or something and it wouldn't be a half bad event for fans. Unfortunately it's an idea with bags of potential wasted on selling a bit more kit and it comes across as a bit cynical.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Sunday would've been more appropriate.

They should have gone for 2.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Sunday would've been more appropriate.

They should have gone for 2.

It's on Monday because it ties in with him being given the captaincy on 03/12/02
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#15 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'm looking forward to celebrating "Sir Kevin Sinfield Day".

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 28 November 2012 - 03:59 PM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#16 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Wonder if I can claim a religious holiday for that, Im sure my Hull FC supporting boss will understand!

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

It's on Monday because it ties in with him being given the captaincy on 03/12/02

I think you missed the meaning behind Hindle's (poor even for him) zinger! :D

(Joking of course Hindle, the deuce bar one in AOB genuinely made me laugh before!)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#18 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,853 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Are Leeds just allowed to name a day?! Are they a country?!
Posted Image

#19 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,755 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Are Leeds just allowed to name a day?! Are they a country?!

Ssh, that particular press release is embargoed. Don't worry though, Honor will post it on here tomorrow.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#20 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,956 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Ssh, that particular press release is embargoed. Don't worry though, Honor will post it on here tomorrow.

Probably just after somebody else has.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users