Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leeds Rhinos honour legendary captain with `Sir Kevin Sinfield Day'

Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Are Leeds just allowed to name a day?! Are they a country?!

YEP WE ARE or at least we are the best city in the country with our own set of rules . :)
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#22 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Question to the hull fans..... Who was the last player at Hull to play for ten years??

#23 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Sorry, but am I the only one who thinks this is just ridiculous?

No your not.

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have two chains of thoughts on this one.

Firstly - I like seeing any RL clubs make an effort with marketing so from an overall RL point of view then fair play to them.

Secondly - from a rival team supporter's point of view, I think it is way ott, as is much of the hero worship of Sinfield that is going round. Very good player, yes he's a Leeds legend, but one thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that he 'led' his team to 5th place for two years, and failed to lead his team to Cup glory in each of the last three years.

#25 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I have two chains of thoughts on this one.

Firstly - I like seeing any RL clubs make an effort with marketing so from an overall RL point of view then fair play to them.

Secondly - from a rival team supporter's point of view, I think it is way ott, as is much of the hero worship of Sinfield that is going round. Very good player, yes he's a Leeds legend, but one thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that he 'led' his team to 5th place for two years, and failed to lead his team to Cup glory in each of the last three years.

Carry on?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Carry on?

eh?

#27 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

eh?

You know what I meant,and I am not going to denigrate other good teams who have threatened but not won SL on numerous occasions.Look like Webby has stated its a marketing ploy by the SLEEVE to sell season tickets ,just like the by a brick for the north stand that may or may not be built.I bet Sinfield will feel a bit embarrassed by this,but if it sells another 2-3000 Season tickets then well done Gary.Kevin Sinfield has had a lot of unfair criticism from other clubs supporter's who dont watch him week in week out.He has been capt for 10 years,he has broken the clubs points and goal scoring record held by probably leeds greatest player Lewis Jones,he has led Leeds to 6 grand final victories,one runner up,he has led leeds to 2 leadership trophy's,he has led leeds to 5cc runners up,he he has led Leeds to 3 WCC ,and 2 losing challenges,he has made 436 appearances for his club and will make many more before he finishes.I fully expect LCC in the future to make him a freeman of the city.This sir Kev day is a club thing and by all means have a go,but dont slag down Sinfield when his achievements are there for all to see
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

You know what I meant,and I am not going to denigrate other good teams who have threatened but not won SL on numerous occasions.Look like Webby has stated its a marketing ploy by the SLEEVE to sell season tickets ,just like the by a brick for the north stand that may or may not be built.I bet Sinfield will feel a bit embarrassed by this,but if it sells another 2-3000 Season tickets then well done Gary.Kevin Sinfield has had a lot of unfair criticism from other clubs supporter's who dont watch him week in week out.He has been capt for 10 years,he has broken the clubs points and goal scoring record held by probably leeds greatest player Lewis Jones,he has led Leeds to 6 grand final victories,one runner up,he has led leeds to 2 leadership trophy's,he has led leeds to 5cc runners up,he he has led Leeds to 3 WCC ,and 2 losing challenges,he has made 436 appearances for his club and will make many more before he finishes.I fully expect LCC in the future to make him a freeman of the city.This sir Kev day is a club thing and by all means have a go,but dont slag down Sinfield when his achievements are there for all to see

Firstly - I didn't have a clue what you meant by 'carry on' (and still don't really!).

I acknowledged that this was a marketing idea and should be applauded on that front, I also acknowledged that he is a very good player and a Leeds legend - what more do you want? :rolleyes:

#29 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Firstly - I didn't have a clue what you meant by 'carry on' (and still don't really!).

I acknowledged that this was a marketing idea and should be applauded on that front, I also acknowledged that he is a very good player and a Leeds legend - what more do you want? :rolleyes:

Well winning SL from 5th has not been overlooked neither has CCfinal runners up 5 times.I think it still addsto his achievements,by no means a disaster
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#30 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Well done Leeds for a great bit of marketing and to a player who certainly deserves it.
Its also probably illegal!!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

The Dark Knight Rises comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray on Monday too if anyone's interested.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Can't believe anyone would knock this, a day for Leeds fans to acknowledge one of their heroes and do a bit of marketing too. How many fans of other clubs wish that such a day could even be considered (or justified) for their captain? I know I do.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Can't believe anyone would knock this, a day for Leeds fans to acknowledge one of their heroes and do a bit of marketing too. How many fans of other clubs wish that such a day could even be considered (or justified) for their captain? I know I do.

To be fair, it could for many players.

#34 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Can't believe anyone would knock this

I can, unfortunately.

I think it's a good way of combining a celebration of a club stalwart and successful captain, while also garnering a bit of publicity.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#35 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Quite impressed with the whole thing really!

You can download Kevin Sinfield face masks from the club website, and then send pictures of yourself to the clubs facebook or twitter accounts. Prizes for the best.

Tweet using #sirkevday on monday to try and get it trending.

Fans can sign a banner at the club shop to be presented to him, and its the early bird deadine day for season tickets too!

Finally, discounts on getting his name and number on the back of your shirt if you buy one this weekend!

To be fair, other clubs could do the same with a player reaching their testimonial seasons, or their captains etc. Leeds did something last year where every week in the lead up to the season, and maybe during the season (I cant remember!), a certain player was featured and discounts on names and numbers on shirts were given and other associated discounts relating to that player for that week. Its just clever marketing, no doubt this will increase sales in the club shop and possibly season tickets.

#36 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Its download your SIR KEV mask now.I think this is going to get very entertaining in next few days :D
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#37 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

To be fair, it could for many players.

Like who? who has captained a team to so much success over such a long period whilst breaking records for his club? I certainly can't think of anyone currently playing who's list of honors is as long as Sinfields, maybe Farrell or Scullthorpefrom recent past.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Like who? who has captained a team to so much success over such a long period whilst breaking records for his club? I certainly can't think of anyone currently playing who's list of honors is as long as Sinfields, maybe Farrell or Scullthorpefrom recent past.

I don't want to get too bogged down with a negative over what is essentially a fun Leeds publicity stunt, but you could make a great press release for many players still in the game now, Adrian Morley, Paul Wellens, James Graham, Gareth Ellis, Sean O'Loughlin etc.

That's me finished on this, I'm off to download my mask.

#39 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

When it comes to smugness and hubris, Leeds are the new Wigan.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#40 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Question to the hull fans..... Who was the last player at Hull to play for ten years??

Kirk Yeaman is currently enjoying his testimonial this year.

Does that answer your question, or would you rather it was somebody from ages ago, which would probably better suit your agenda.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg