Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What are the RFL trying to do?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I think its unbelievable that the RFL could lay this one on us knowing how we are struggling with the cash situation and our current flooflights WTF? :angry:

THE RAIDING PARTY: A FIXTURE SHAMBLES FOR BARROW RAIDERS

Last updated at 18:12, Tuesday, 27 November 2012

THE full Championship fixture list was released by the RFL on Monday and was met with astonishment by myself and no doubt many others connected with Barrow.

Firstly, despite having informed the powers-that-be some time ago that Barrow AFC have a home fixture on Easter Monday, we were paired at home to York on the very same day and, according to the respective fixture lists, we will both kick-off at exactly the same time.
If we are forced to both play on the same day at the same time, it will be a logistical nightmare as the two clubs have the same doctor and many of the stewards cover both clubs. Economically, it will obviously have an adverse effect on the attendances at both Craven Park and Holker Street and will be particularly disappointing for the many people who support both teams.
I am only guessing here, but the police and emergency services may well have a say in whether this situation is allowed to happen.
Secondly, and much more worrying in my view, is the fact our home match on Thursday, February 21 against Batley Bulldogs is to be televised by Premier Sports.
Now, every man and his dog with even a passing interest in Barrow Raiders knows the biggest single issue facing the club in 2013 is raising £100,000 so that we can install suitable new floodlights by the end of the year.
If we are forced to play the match against Batley on the Thursday night to suit the television company, we will have to hire in additional lights at a cost of circa £13,000 (based on the costs last time this happened).
That money will need to be found from somewhere and it is infuriating, when budgets have been set and plans for raising money established, to suddenly discover we are now chasing even more cash.
It is really nice to know some people are trying to help us in our hour of need – NOT!
I fully understand compiling a fixture list to suit all is virtually impossible, but it strikes me that both the above scenarios could have been avoided with just a little bit of intelligence and a smattering of commonsense.
At a time when our great sport is trying to expand and grow, it strikes me that sometimes we really do nothing to help ourselves.
However, we at Barrow are made of stern stuff and will struggle on regardless.
One day we will be financially solvent and with a ground to be proud of. We will achieve those aims in spite of what others do to hinder us. We have survived since our formation in 1875 and it will take more than a flawed fixture list to deflate this club and its supporters.
Saturday gives our supporters a chance to get together at the Raiders Bar for a quiz night and a question-and-answer session with the board. The fun starts at 7pm and no doubt before and after the quiz there will be much discussion regarding the squad assembled for 2013 and the more controversial matters mentioned above.
In my opinion, we don’t have enough informal gatherings and it is to the credit of the Supporters Club committee that they have taken the time to arrange this one.
Everybody is more than welcome to attend what promises to be a good night among like-minded people.
Always remember – the future is bright; the future is blue and white.

Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

#2 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't know how this works and I'm someone out will put me right if I'm wrong. Surely if the RFL want us to play on a Thursday night, knowing fine well that our lights aren't up to scratch, we could refuse to play. Or at the least get some kind of financial help off the TV company or the RFL to go ahead.
As for the the Easter weekend game. Could we not move ours to the Sunday. Don't know the rules about playing on an easter sunday but I'm sure the football does.
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#3 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I don't know how this works and I'm someone out will put me right if I'm wrong. Surely if the RFL want us to play on a Thursday night, knowing fine well that our lights aren't up to scratch, we could refuse to play. Or at the least get some kind of financial help off the TV company or the RFL to go ahead.
As for the the Easter weekend game. Could we not move ours to the Sunday. Don't know the rules about playing on an easter sunday but I'm sure the football does.

You can't refuse to play the fixture unless you would pay the fine the RFL send you and the deduction of points that would occur through missing the fixture also any other points the RFL would like to deduct too. Also Easter Sunday as far as I know is a no go and doubt the RFL will change that too. But to be honest I know where you guys are coming from the RFL are and have been well aware of your floodlight situation for a long time so you would think they would of made the fixtures to compensate this or not of let you get promoted. I know the 2nd would be harsh but they should of had a plan by now but we all know the RFL don't care about anything else other than SL.

#4 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

There is a very good article in this weeks Rugby Leaguer about the fixtures compiled for SL and Championship. It's worth a read. Maybe somebody can put a link to it on here.

As for a fixture clash with the soccer this has happened before. Why could we not have a KO at say 6.00pm.

Posted Image

#5 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

absolute joke and typical of the RFL.

Like has been said they couldnt give a stuff about us minnows outside the gym monkey league.

They were supposed to be helping us out of the mess despot dessie left us in, or so Ralph Rimmer said ? Then this .... joke.

Sorry for the rant.

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#6 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

I think its unbelievable that the RFL could lay this one on us knowing how we are struggling with the cash situation and our current flooflights WTF? :angry:

THE RAIDING PARTY: A FIXTURE SHAMBLES FOR BARROW RAIDERS

Last updated at 18:12, Tuesday, 27 November 2012

THE full Championship fixture list was released by the RFL on Monday and was met with astonishment by yself and no doubt many others connected with Barrow.
Firstly, despite having informed the powers-that-be some time ago that Barrow AFC have a home fixture on Easter Monday, we were paired at home to York on the very same day and, according to the respective fixture lists, we will both kick-off at exactly the same time.
If we are forced to both play on the same day at the same time, it will be a logistical nightmare as the two clubs have the same doctor and many of the stewards cover both clubs. Economically, it will obviously have an adverse effect on the attendances at both Craven Park and Holker Street and will be particularly disappointing for the many people who support both teams.
I am only guessing here, but the police and emergency services may well have a say in whether this situation is allowed to happen.
Secondly, and much more worrying in my view, is the fact our home match on Thursday, February 21 against Batley Bulldogs is to be televised by Premier Sports.
Now, every man and his dog with even a passing interest in Barrow Raiders knows the biggest single issue facing the club in 2013 is raising £100,000 so that we can install suitable new floodlights by the end of the year.
If we are forced to play the match against Batley on the Thursday night to suit the television company, we will have to hire in additional lights at a cost of circa £13,000 (based on the costs last time this happened).
That money will need to be found from somewhere and it is infuriating, when budgets have been set and plans for raising money established, to suddenly discover we are now chasing even more cash.
It is really nice to know some people are trying to help us in our hour of need – NOT!
I fully understand compiling a fixture list to suit all is virtually impossible, but it strikes me that both the above scenarios could have been avoided with just a little bit of intelligence and a smattering of commonsense.
At a time when our great sport is trying to expand and grow, it strikes me that sometimes we really do nothing to help ourselves.
However, we at Barrow are made of stern stuff and will struggle on regardless.
One day we will be financially solvent and with a ground to be proud of. We will achieve those aims in spite of what others do to hinder us. We have survived since our formation in 1875 and it will take more than a flawed fixture list to deflate this club and its supporters.
Saturday gives our supporters a chance to get together at the Raiders Bar for a quiz night and a question-and-answer session with the board. The fun starts at 7pm and no doubt before and after the quiz there will be much discussion regarding the squad assembled for 2013 and the more controversial matters mentioned above.
In my opinion, we don’t have enough informal gatherings and it is to the credit of the Supporters Club committee that they have taken the time to arrange this one.
Everybody is more than welcome to attend what promises to be a good night among like-minded people.
Always remember – the future is bright; the future is blue and white.

I am unsure who wrote this article but I trust it was not a member of the BOD. The RFL hand out substantial amounts to clubs each year to be used wisely on the likes of training Doctors and improvements to the ground. If the £100k had been raised during 2012 that had been announced at the AGM then the 2013 hand out from the RFL could have been used to pay for the Floodlights.
Due to the failure to raise funds in 2012 the club was again facing certain trouble and yet again the RFL stepped in and assisted (otherwise we would not have a club). So knocking the RFL publicly for fixtures is one thing but we cannot knock them for not helping the club financially. We have 9 months to raise £100k and the time for idle talk has gone. Lets hope the BOD are ALL proactive and start giving a regular update of how much of the required £100k has been raised each month. Otherwise some may be sat with red faces in 9 months time saying "were did it all go wrong".

The club can ill aford another 9 months of raising diddly squat.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#7 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Don't all clubs see the fixture before the public do and they can then ask to move games round?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#8 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I am unsure who wrote this article but I trust it was not a member of the BOD. The RFL hand out substantial amounts to clubs each year to be used wisely on the likes of training Doctors and improvements to the ground. If the £100k had been raised during 2012 that had been announced at the AGM then the 2013 hand out from the RFL could have been used to pay for the Floodlights.
Due to the failure to raise funds in 2012 the club was again facing certain trouble and yet again the RFL stepped in and assisted (otherwise we would not have a club). So knocking the RFL publicly for fixtures is one thing but we cannot knock them for not helping the club financially. We have 9 months to raise £100k and the time for idle talk has gone. Lets hope the BOD are ALL proactive and start giving a regular update of how much of the required £100k has been raised each month. Otherwise some may be sat with red faces in 9 months time saying "were did it all go wrong".

The club can ill aford another 9 months of raising diddly squat.

I wrote the article Neil as I ALWAYS put my name to anything I say or write. Not once in the article did I criticise the RFL for their financial help.

Posted Image

#9 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

The RFL hand out substantial amounts to clubs each year to be used wisely on the likes of training Doctors and improvements to the ground.

Thats all well and good Neil but to all intents and purposes the RFL are forcing us to spend circa £13k on extra lighting to play a thursday televised match so early in the season, when they are fully aware of our floodlights problem. This is not money, (provided by the RFL), wisely spent. It really doesnt make sense to me it really doesnt !

Now I know they can turn round and say that you knew about the floodlights many moons ago but if thats the case they shouldnt have let us up this season should they...sorry but it just looks to me like a total lack of forethought from the schedulers at Red Hall/Premier Sports !

So in reality it means we need to raise £113k for floodlighting this season doesnt it ??

Lee

Lee Morton

#10 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

I wrote the article Neil as I ALWAYS put my name to anything I say or write. Not once in the article did I criticise the RFL for their financial help.

Not you Keith, just D11 stirring it up again, Soss will be on the job soon (or has he quit the forum, cant remember if he has or hasnt)

#11 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I dont care whos stirring what Rooster...if there are problems that need sorting I for one want to know whats being done to sort them out !

Lee Morton

#12 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

The silence is deafening Lee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#13 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Rooster you might do well to listen what is said on here instead of just looking for ways to have a dig at me, you might even pick up a bit of knowledge so you know what your talking about instead of spouting a load of ######.

It is the owner of the broadcasting rights that have the say on who they want to feature and on what day not the RFL...

Edited by soss, 29 November 2012 - 11:14 AM.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#14 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Rooster you might do well to listen what is said on here instead of just looking for ways to have a dig at me, you might even pick up a bit of knowledge so you know what your talking about instead of spouting a load of ###### like you best mate....

It is the owner of the broadcasting rights that have the say on who they want to feature and on what day not the RFL...

Mike dont the RFL have to ratify the televised fixtures tho ?? Just asking as I dont know!

Lee Morton

#15 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

The RFL can only advise the company, it's like someone renting your house, paying the rent each month and you saying you can't move in as a bulb has blown. They pay the money so unless there is a good reason for changing the venue I'm afraid the RFL have to agree. I will stand corrected on this but that's how I understand it. If that means we have to bring in additional lighting to give us the 300 lux who's problem is that? Not the RFL and certainly not the broadcasters as we are supposed to have this in place.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#16 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

The RFL can only advise the company, it's like someone renting your house, paying the rent each month and you saying you can't move in as a bulb has blown. They pay the money so unless there is a good reason for changing the venue I'm afraid the RFL have to agree. I will stand corrected on this but that's how I understand it. If that means we have to bring in additional lighting to give us the 300 lux who's problem is that? Not the RFL and certainly not the broadcasters as we are supposed to have this in place.

Ok mate but I still think a little correspondance and common sense should prevail ?

Lee Morton

#17 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Correspondence and common sense...this is professional rugby league we are talking about...lol

#18 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

ha ha ha

Lee Morton

#19 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

The RFL have already comented with suprise Keith. All I will say is your article lessens any chance of going back to the RFL cap in hand when things go bad.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#20 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Rooster you might do well to listen what is said on here instead of just looking for ways to have a dig at me, you might even pick up a bit of knowledge so you know what your talking about instead of spouting a load of ######.

Jeez your touchy :D No wonder you quit, come back again, quit, come back again :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users