TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

TRL Help Desk Car Write Off

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 From the South

From the South
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

My other half was involved in an accident a week last Sunday, some guy came straight across a Give Way line and smashed into the side of her car. Drivers side rear passenger door appears badly damaged and that and the driver's door will not open. Central locking also not working.
Insurance company took car away last week and she has a courtesy car "until her's is repaired and returned, or we have the cheque if written off".
She had a text today to say it is uneconomical to carry out the repair and therefore the insurance company will be sending her a cheque for the value of the car less her excess. I am not sure what category of write off this is.

My questions are:

What would be a reasonable valuation for a 2004 Honda Civic 5-door 1.6, in good condition, with about 80k mileage?

Can she offer to buy the car back from the insurance company, and how would this affect her HP agreement?

If she can buy the car back does she receive the payment for the valuation or does this go to the HP company?

Thanks in advance/

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Drivers side rear passenger door appears badly damaged and that and the driver's door will not open. Central locking also not working.

Sounds to me like the chassis is twisted. Safer to take the cash.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Car is probably worth 2-2.5k. Wouldn't bother trying to fix it yourself, would be worth the cost and you will find it hard to sell on.
Fides invicta triumphat

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,526 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

A few years ago, a local vicar (honest) ran into the side of me when he emerged from a junction too early. It was only a crappy old Corsa but they sent me a cheque for £1100 (he admitted blame) to cover the repair. I had to submit a genuine quote for repair, which might not apply in your case, but still, no questions asked... Plus I kept the car and still drove it, except with a big dent in it, for another year or so, then flogged it to some gypos for scrap for £150.

So don't assume it is knackered, even if it is.

#5 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

My previous car was written off as uneconomical to repair by the Insurer, although the damage was limited to the offside wing. I accepted the cash offer and managed to get it repaired by a friend in the car trade.

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

see http://www.pistonhea...pic.asp?t=78817 for discussion of write off categories. I think this may be important if you keep a written off car and want to use/insure it.

#7 From the South

From the South
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the replies, I have spoken to the insurers who've given me a breakdown of the repair costs, when I challenged this saying the local garage could do it for less they agreed if I could get a quote from them we could get the repair done there. Whether it is worth the hassle I don't know, will have a think. Thanks again