League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rebranding, merging and relocations....the eternal sin? Why not Salford City Reds to Manchester Reds?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Mergers, Rebranding and club relocations are not as bad and evil as certain Rugby League fans suggest and can actually go along way towards revitalising a sport in a specific area.
One of the main arguments that a fan of a said club will use not to Merge/Rebrand/Relocate is 'tradition', well history has proved that some of the top sporting clubs in England have done one of the three prior to becoming bigger sporting entities, examples.....

Newcastle United
Started as Stanley Football Club, Was renamed Newcastle East End, Merged with Rosewood FC of Byker, Merged with Newcastle West End their biggest North East rivals to then become Newcastle United.

Manchester United
Started as Newton Heath, playing in green and gold was taken over by a local consortium and then became Manchester United

Arsenal
Started as Dial Square playing in Woolwich, South London, was renamed Royal Arsenal and then Woolwich Arsenal. Afterwards moved to North London and finally became the Arsenal that we see now.

Liverpool FC
Was initially called Everton Athletic and then eventually Liverpool F.C.

Rugby League success story: Catalan Dragons
Born out of a merger between X111 Catalan and St.Esteve, two local rivals

My point.....that mergers, relocations and rebranding is a part of the history of british sport, the 4 biggest sporting enitities have each gone through this process and rugby league clubs shouldn't be afriad of this......
Now Salford area proud club with a proud tradition but they have been poorly managed and have missed out on the opportunity to maximise opportunities from the stadium move and now look like being overshadowed by Sale, what they need is for a new investor to come in spend money on the club and rename them Manchester Reds, they have great potential but a lack of vision is there....nothing wrong with a name change or two......from a London Broncos( Harlequins RL, Crusaders) supporter.

#2 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Brilliant!

We could put Fev, C*s and Wakey all together and call it "Calde..........KABOOM!!

<_<

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Weren't Sale called Manchester Sale for a season or two. Didn't seem to do them any good and not sure just sticking Manchester on the front will cure the problems.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Brilliant!

We could put Fev, C*s and Wakey all together and call it "Calde..........KABOOM!!

<_<

Don't see that merger working at all for any of the clubs involved.

#5 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

Here we go again ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Boring, boring, boring!

#7 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Boring, boring, boring!

Why bother posting on this thread then? Bog off!!!

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

All the examples of success in the UK were in the 19th or early 20th century and involved moving from one part of a city to another part (if there was a move at all).

Examples of a successful move to a different city in the 21st century are thin on the ground.

MK Dons / AFC Wimbledon spring to mind. They are almost in the same division these days.

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

All the examples of success in the UK were in the 19th or early 20th century and involved moving from one part of a city to another part (if there was a move at all).

Examples of a successful move to a different city in the 21st century are thin on the ground.

MK Dons / AFC Wimbledon spring to mind. They are almost in the same division these days.

So there is no evidence that it would be a massive failure to try it now, interesting. Thanks for your perspective.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

were'nt sale going to call themselves the north west sharks at one point?

and i kinda liked the oldham bears....just a shame the logo was done by a 12 year old which did'nt help the rebranding of the club..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#11 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

Every year someone posts this, must admit it is usually an aussie.

Can anyone show that the "Manchester" tag would be any better?

Manchester Giants

Manchester Storm

Manchester RUFC

All massive crowd pleasers, with massive crowds???

2 of the 3 went bust, the other live in the shadow of Sale.

Salford need to provide a consistant winning side playing attractive Rugby.

I hope that the Peel takeover will provide the bussiness accumen behind the scenes to grow the product and market it professionally.

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

don'nt the manchester storm & giants own british record attendances for their respective sports while they existed in the last 1990's?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#13 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

As a traditionalist I have a fear that adoption of the Manchester moniker may well be considered by Peel Holdings if/when they get full ownership and control. Some might say it would be progress, but not in my view.

While a name change certainly won't happen whilst Salford City Council has any say in the matter, a massive reason why the current mess has arisen is a flawed safe-seat political dynamic, mixed in with a big dose of incompetence, egotism and short-sightedness of a handful of key individuals. They have got carried away with themselves and lost touch with reality. The end result may yet be deeply ironic.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#14 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

don'nt the manchester storm & giants own british record attendances for their respective sports while they existed in the last 1990's?

Possibly, but then both were unable to maintain the crowds and they crashed and burnt.

There is so much wrong with the idea that a simple name change will attract crowds and investment.

#15 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

There is a club within the walls of Manchester - Salford. End of.

I agree with rebranding in certain instances but not this.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

So there is no evidence that it would be a massive failure to try it now, interesting. Thanks for your perspective.

Aside from Mansfield, Blackpool Borough, Liverpool City, Cardiff Blue Dragons, Crusaders RL, Southend Invicta, Shuddesfield, Gateshull.....?

No, none at all.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,900 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Maybe some dramatic changes are needed to attract a new dynasty of fans.What's in a name? Salford, Manchester..whatever.
Its Money - fans - success - Money - fans - success - Money - fans - success - Money - fans - success - Money - fans - success - Money - fans - success.

#18 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Salford should just stay as they are, Salford city reds. As its already been stated success breads fans but in the mean time Salford should continue working with various schools in and around Manchester like they do with St. Peters in places like hulme, moss side, longsight, Trafford etc.

#19 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Salford have already changed their Name and Merged Thank you :- Cavendish Football Club to Salford Football Club , , about 113 years ago I think.
Then merged two years Later with Crescent Football Club , , We adopted the ' Reds ' Moniker on the Advent of Super League in 1995 & added 'City ' four years later.

Name changes ultimately count for little unless partnered with a big marketing exercise and plenty of dosh, and risks alienating more fans than may be attracted by any brand changes .
Salford's periods of success have been at times when they have had the funding to attract the best players and/or the best coaching .

Recently we've had some good players but duff managers , and now we've got a good coaching team and are scraping the RL barrel for playing staff , at no time have we had good management , Players and enough cash to successfully promote , if we had all three , the name would be immaterial .

#20 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Weren't Sale called Manchester Sale for a season or two. Didn't seem to do them any good and not sure just sticking Manchester on the front will cure the problems.

They were made to revert back to Sale after our friends Manchester RFC got a bit cheesed off.
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users