- - - - -

Traditional grounds to be dropped?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

The NRL is considering pushing clubs to drop traditional suburb grounds in favour of just the big stadiums that can hold more fans with the idea of lifting the average attendance figures.

If the early thoughts are anything to go by that might mean all the Sydney clubs playing their home games at ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium - which would become the home away from home for those nine clubs.

I'm all in favour of a big following for our game, but I'd hate this. I want to see clubs with their own grounds and traditions with separate bases in, or as near as possible, to their communities.

Massive stadiums are great for massive crowds. I hate seeing 80,000 seater stadiums with 20 or 30,000 people in them - no atmosphere is generated and a good attendance is made to look sparse.

I hope this idea dies a death!

Edited by G Las D, 30 November 2012 - 10:14 AM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Yes an absolutely crazy idea and another example of how the game is being taken away from the people who matter the most-the fans.

#3 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

'The Fans' have not mattered to the NRL for quite some time !
Yes I know they keep blabbing about how they want to keep passionate fans going to games & how they are feeding the grass roots.
BUT THEY'RE NOT - It's corporate & media driven 100%
corporate suites/boxes are usually on the same side of a mega stadium as the cameras,so Joe public gets to sit on the opposite side and thereby lessen the emptyness of the stadium.

What happened to the ARLC talks of 'upgrading' the remaining suburban stadiums ?
Ah yes ? The new media deal :rolleyes:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Sad to hear that, and I agree I hope it doesn't happen. Just as a matter of interest, of these grounds that I remember from first watching NSW premiership videos back in the early 80s, how many are still used or still exist?

Belmore (Canterbury)

Redfearn (Souths)

N.Sydney Oval

Leichardt (Balmain)

Campbelltown (Wests)

Brookvale (manly)

Endevour Field (Cronulla)

Kogarah (St.George)

Wollongong (Illawarra)

Henson Park (Newtown)

A Fev Blog

#5 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

AFAIK - Belmore - Nth Sydney & Henson Park are no longer active for fist grade,(NRL) games,though Henson is still the home ground of The Newtown Jets.
Think the other grounds you listed still have some NRL games during the season.

Edited by Bourbon Rat, 01 December 2012 - 05:16 AM.

#6 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

When we used to get footage of NRL in the eighties on VHS (remember that?) I always thought that North Sydney Oval looked a smart place to play.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#7 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Belmore (Canterbury) - former home ground of Canterbury Bulldogs. , Now it's used by NSW Premier League team Sydney Olympic.

Redfearn (Souths) - Souths stopped using Redfern in the 80's sometime. It was later upgraded substantially. Souths now us it as a training ground and as far as I know have played exhibition and pre-season games there.

N.Sydney Oval - Souths have played one or two games there in the past, North Sydney Bears use it now. AFAIK it is used for reserve grade, Toyota Cup games etc.

Leichardt (Balmain) Still used by Wests Tigers

Campbelltown (Wests) Still used by WestsTigers

Brookvale (manly) - Brookvale Oval still used by Manly

Endeavour Field (Cronulla) - Now called Toyota Stadium and still used by the Sharks as their home ground.

Kogarah (St.George) - WIN Jubilee Stadium at Kogarah still used by Dragons

Wollongong (Illawarra) WIN Stadium Wollongong - still used by Dragons

Henson Park (Newtown) - AFAIK Newtown Jets still play there though now they are a feeder club for the Roosters

That's the best I can do Mark

Edited by G Las D, 01 December 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Great. Interesting that the old grounds though not used for NRL are still sports arenas/facilities. In the UK all the old grounds are car parks, supermarkets and housing estates. I'd love to go to Sydney and visit Henson Park, Redfearn and the likes.

A Fev Blog

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Great. Interesting that the old grounds though not used for NRL are still sports arenas/facilities. In the UK all the old grounds are car parks, supermarkets and housing estates. I'd love to go to Sydney and visit Henson Park, Redfearn and the likes.

You and me too.
Likewise I'd like to visit Brookvale - from shots of it I've seen on TV coverage it looks homely and has a great location being pretty close to the Tasman Sea!
Naturally first port of call would have to be Melbourne to see Aami Park and the old Olympic Stadium.

#10 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Olympic Park Stadium. - GONE ! Bulldozed to make way for Collinwood's new training ground :angry:
And I think 'taxpayers' are footing a large part of the cost <_<

#11 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Olympic Park Stadium. - GONE ! Bulldozed to make way for Collinwood's new training ground :angry:
And I think 'taxpayers' are footing a large part of the cost <_<

Bah! I'll have to make do with my televisual memories them. Hope they put a plaque or monument there to mark the memories of the place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users