RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Warrington Wolves Sign Telford Raiders Starlet

More expansion good news!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

http://www.midlandsr...raiders-starlet

Warrington Wolves have just signed Telford Raiders junior Joe Furlong.

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Lets hope he can go the distance!

#3 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Great stuff and good luck to the lad - sounds like he has talent and the right attitude

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

Note to the naysayers. Another SL player produced from a non SL area. Oh my.

#5 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Exactly. Telford Raiders have done a fine job with their juniors, last year three of them played as full Youth internationals and they also have a number of players on scholarships elsewhere and I think a couple at Sheffield Eagles on academy. Who says you have to be northern!

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,595 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Indeed, this is clearly a big lie since the MIdlands has no SL team and therefore kids don't play for Telford Raiders.

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Exactly. Telford Raiders have done a fine job with their juniors, last year three of them played as full Youth internationals and they also have a number of players on scholarships elsewhere and I think a couple at Sheffield Eagles on academy. Who says you have to be northern!

You don't and I certainly have never said it.

I look forward to Telford's grass roots growth as a club, and the sponsorship and support that will bring. From that the club can grow further and obtain a ground, which the good people of Telford will fill. From that Telford can start their ascent through the CC's to Superleague.

On that day I will run naked like Schoey from posts to posts for the delight of Keighley and Northern Sol.

Good luck Telford, good luck MRL.

#8 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I look forward to Telford's grass roots growth as a club, and the sponsorship and support that will bring. From that the club can grow further and obtain a ground, which the good people of Telford will fill. From that Telford can start their ascent through the CC's to Superleague.

On that day I will run naked like Schoey from posts to posts for the delight of Keighley and Northern Sol.

I don't think Telford have ambitions to be in Super League, but they will be moving into a brand new facility for the 2014 season, one that will guarantee them primacy of tenure on a state of the art 3G pitch and the chance to have somewhere to call "home" without being the tenant and at the mercy of a Rugby Union landlord.

There is no reason why Telford cannot become a comfortable Tier 3 Community Club in the coming years and put even deeper roots down for the game in the area.

#9 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 937 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

That M5/ M6/ M40 'triangle' is starting to look good. All Golds, Wolverhampton, Oxford, Coventry, Telford, a fairly decent coverage across the levels.

I'm sure there must be room for semi pro rugby around Stoke, after all by all accounts they like a physical game of footy at the Britannia! Maybe there needs to be an on the road game in the Potteries some time.

#10 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Be careful what you wish for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users