Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Super League Champions Leeds Rhinos are turning back the clock as they look to build for the future by re-instigating supporters clubs across the city and further afield to help spread the word about the club.

The Rhinos, who are reigning World Champions as well as six-time Super League Champions, are hoping to utilise the feel-good factor around volunteering following the London Olympics to engage an army of supporters to encourage friends, relatives and work colleagues to come along and support the club.

The idea has been instigated by Chief Executive Gary Hetherington who hosted an evening for interested parties last week at Headingley Carnegie. He revealed, “I remember back in the 1960s and 70s there were Supporters Clubs across the city who used to organise trips to away games and Cup Finals and where fans used to meet up before and after home games to travel together to matches. It was a simple format but one that really helped spread the word about the club and gave people a sense of their own community.

“We put an appeal in our season ticket brochure for anyone who was interested to get in touch with me personally and I was delighted by the response. One gentleman is a regular at Harehills WMC. He went to the Grand Final last October and came back to club to find it packed with people who had done likewise which started him thinking why they hadn’t gone altogether! We have had responses from school teachers, business owners, factory workers and pub landlords from places as wide spread as Skipton and Doncaster. We are putting in place a team based at the Rhinos to support the ambassadors with marketing material and ticket booking facilities. We saw how powerful volunteers can be at the Olympics last year as their passion for their club is often the greatest advert you can have and we are hoping to capitalise on that spirit to spread the word about the club and our gameday experience. We have set ourselves the target of attracting 10,000 members by the start of the season in February and for that we need to bring in around 1,000 new members between now and then and this is a key part of our awareness drive,” added Hetherington.

Fans interested in more details about how they can become an ambassador should contact Amy Herrison on 0113 2033285 or email amy.herrison@leedsrugby.com

The Rhinos begin preparations for the new season on Boxing Day when they entertain Wakefield Wildcats in the annual Heatshot Festive Challenge at Headingley Carnegie, kick off 11.30am.

Phil Daly
Media and PR Mana
ger

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Do not many other clubs make press releases? It seems like every one is Leeds related!

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Do not many other clubs make press releases? It seems like every one is Leeds related!

Unfortunately for your club this kind of thing will drive a backlash.

Wendall had a very annoying style, but often he was simply posting press releases on here about Wire and it quickly became an issue.

In general, I'm not convinced some new grass is that interesting to the RL population.

#4 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Wendall had a very annoying style, but often he was simply posting press releases on here about Wire and it quickly became an issue.

In general, I'm not convinced some new grass is that interesting to the RL population.

Correct its getting very boring now.

#5 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Its Honor that keeps putting them on!

I just put a picture on the New pitch thread, and dont expect many to be interested but there may be some that wanted to have a look. I certainly wouldnt have started a new thread about it!

#6 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Very Unofficial Press Release on behalf of the London Broncos
The London Broncos are looking to set up Supporters Clubs to encourage more people to come to away home games. So if you have a supporter or two tucked away on your sofa, please give generously now. It might not seem very much, but believe me it could make a big difference to a lonely millionaire this spring. ;)
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Its Honor that keeps putting them on!

I just put a picture on the New pitch thread, and dont expect many to be interested but there may be some that wanted to have a look. I certainly wouldnt have started a new thread about it!

I know mate, it wasn;t a criticism of you at all!

I find some of the press releases interesting, but this board would be taken over if all clubs' releases were put on here. I wish HJ would show some quality control.

I think the win a bike with Leigh post is the best yet though.

#8 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

These are the press releases as they come in to us here at LPL (and to all other rugby league related media publishers, I imagine).

If there are a lot from some clubs and very few from others that's because very few are being sent out. Every club is different and that is their individual choice.

I do not discriminate for or against any club media release. I just post them on here. Surely, if some of them are of more interest and others of little or no interest to some forum members, it should be possible for the uninterested simply to ignore them.

How difficult can it be just not to click ........ that's all it takes. Or you could use the facility that allows you to blank out an individual poster completely.

Blank me out.

After all, one man's news is almost always going to be another man's yawn.

:-)

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

These are the press releases as they come in to us here at LPL (and to all other rugby league related media publishers, I imagine).

If there are a lot from some clubs and very few from others that's because very few are being sent out. Every club is different and that is their individual choice.

I do not discriminate for or against any club media release. I just post them on here. Surely, if some of them are of more interest and others of little or no interest to some forum members, it should be possible for the uninterested simply to ignore them.

How difficult can it be just not to click ........ that's all it takes. Or you could use the facility that allows you to blank out an individual poster completely.

Blank me out.

After all, one man's news is almost always going to be another man's yawn.

Interesting. Does this mean that you don't get stuff from Wire, Wigan, Saints etc - from memory I can't recall any realeases from these clubs for a while?

#10 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Interesting. Does this mean that you don't get stuff from Wire, Wigan, Saints etc - from memory I can't recall any realeases from these clubs for a while?

I had one come in to loverugbyleague.com towers from St Helens last week, entitled: Stadium cladding update.

I nearly fell out of my chair with excitement.
Posted Image

#11 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

If they haven't been posted on here since I offered to take on this task, then no - we don't get any.

Or at least, if those clubs are sending out press releases they are not coming in to me. I would be delighted if they were (email honor@totalrl.com) because it has occurred to me as well that the releases seem enormously `Rams & Rhinos centric' .

However, the ones that do come in are all news about what's going on in the game. And what else should be posted on a rugby league forum if not news about what's going on in the world of rugby league?

I don't know if you have noticed, but the items not many people are interested in drop off the bottom here like hot cakes off a buttered baking sheet.

#12 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

That reminds me, its nearly lunch!

#13 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Wendall's post's were not just about Warrington Wolves,which I could accept.A lot of them were about whats going on in the town,what was being built etc
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Just had a look mate, it's fantastic, so green and rectangular shaped.

Any chance of uploading a video so we can watch it grow as well?

;)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#15 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I am a Saints fan and in Leeds's defense, they are miles ahead in terms of marketing and getting information out into the public domain.

I'm always getting text or email updates about the goings on at Headingley and to be honest I find it informative and refreshing to know one club in SL has a clue how to market a business. Leeds also use their noddle when it comes to pulling in punters. A few years back shortly after moving to Yorkshire I bought tickets for the WCC at Elland Road, never having been to a Rhinos home match (for obvious reasons). A few weeks later, got a call from the ticket office to say we notice you bought a ticket for the WCC but you've never been to Headingley, and they did me a great deal on two tickets for the Saints match that season. Got me into the Headingley 'Experience' and will occasionally pootle along for the Boxing Day match or bigger SL fixtures that don't involve Saints.

Saints on the other hand are generally rubbish at PR/ marketing to the Saints diaspora and worse than rubbish most of the time. Sad to say.

#16 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I am a Saints fan and in Leeds's defense, they are miles ahead in terms of marketing and getting information out into the public domain.

I'm always getting text or email updates about the goings on at Headingley and to be honest I find it informative and refreshing to know one club in SL has a clue how to market a business. Leeds also use their noddle when it comes to pulling in punters. A few years back shortly after moving to Yorkshire I bought tickets for the WCC at Elland Road, never having been to a Rhinos home match (for obvious reasons). A few weeks later, got a call from the ticket office to say we notice you bought a ticket for the WCC but you've never been to Headingley, and they did me a great deal on two tickets for the Saints match that season. Got me into the Headingley 'Experience' and will occasionally pootle along for the Boxing Day match or bigger SL fixtures that don't involve Saints.

Saints on the other hand are generally rubbish at PR/ marketing to the Saints diaspora and worse than rubbish most of the time. Sad to say.

Wonderful!and Danny McGuire and Kevin Sinfield are both very good players who would walk into any other SL team :D
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Just had a look mate, it's fantastic, so green and rectangular shaped.

Any chance of uploading a video so we can watch it grow as well?

;)

They'll spoil an interesting video though in a few months when they put the team out on it.
:D

Although you'll probably see the grass grow quicker. <_<

Edited by Padge, 30 November 2012 - 09:26 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#18 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

any truth that wigan have been booted out of there ground this summer so it can be reseeded for the new soccer season ?
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#19 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

any truth that wigan have been booted out of there ground this summer so it can be reseeded for the new soccer season ?

Aye, that happens every season.
Posted Image

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

A price worth paying to see the whole game unobstructed, in comfort and with a roof.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users