Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

CHAMPIONS TURN BACK CLOCK FOR BRIGHT FUTURE

Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

I'd have thought a reversion to the 60s and 70s would be a case of turning the clock forwards in West Yorkshire.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#22 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

A price worth paying to see the whole game unobstructed, in comfort and with a roof.

I once got wet through at the DW.Now I realise you have to sit up at the top of the stand to stay dry
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#23 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,655 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

I once got wet through at the DW.Now I realise you have to sit up at the top of the stand to stay dry

I often get soaking wet at Headingley.

Now I realise you have to go there when it doesn't rain to stay dry.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#24 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Yes,getting wet at Headingley is different than getting wet at the wonderful DW stadium,its not supposed to happen there.Its good we have this banter to pass on the off season :rolleyes:
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#25 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

A price worth paying to see the whole game unobstructed, in comfort and with a roof.

your opinion .
for me its standing and watching a game in a vibrant standing area with a couple of pints and watching the poor sods of away fans getting soaked

any games been played at widnes this season or will they make do with the short trip to st helens for wigan home games
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Do not many other clubs make press releases? It seems like every one is Leeds related!

There was a period when it was all Dewsbury press releases. Now it's Leeds. It'll be another club soon enough

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#27 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

It's a great place to stand when it's sunny though.

If you don't want to stand there, buy tickets for a different stand

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#28 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,655 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

If you don't want to stand there, buy tickets for a different stand

I sometimes go with a disabled pal so I have to sit down on those occasions.

Trouble is, there's all these bloody posts obstructing our view...(cue Padge :D )

And off we go round again! :rolleyes:

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#29 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,655 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hmmmm.....

#30 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

How many fans of other SL clubs would have loved to have had the option to stay at their own traditional grounds and redevelop them? A lot I suspect - Leeds and Widnes are the only ones who have achieved it; Leeds the only one without any council or or sugar daddy help. Since redevelopment usually requires a third party, the end result is that Leeds and Saints and Warrington are the only clubs in Super League who have both the rewards of ownership of their main asset and the modern facilities that generate the revenue to stay in business. The rest either own but haven't got the money-generating facilities or are tenants of occasionally unsympathetic landlords who may have conflicting interests.

So Leeds are unique in staying and spending big money updating the ground their fans love; that process is a lot more difficult to finance than selling out or starting anew although the amount of cash spent by Leeds on Headingley in the past 20 years is up there with the amounts other clubs have spent on brand new stadia. And that means pretty much the only thing you can see from inside the ground now that dates back longer than 20 years is some of the terracing at the back of the South Stand, the North Stand upper wing seats and the floodlights.

Truthfully, how many Wiganers would not still rather be at a modernised Central Park?

#31 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,655 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Truthfully, how many Wiganers would not still rather be at a modernised Central Park?

They would probably all love to be at a modernised Central Park, but obviously that would be pie in the sky (geddit?) when you consider the money they received from Tescos and the considerably cheaper option of sharing a brand new stadium with the Latics.

What you have to consider these days is the income from the away supporting fans. At Headingley, most away fans stand on the Western Terrace. You are talking about a modernised Headingley, well try standing on the Western Terrace on a cold, rainy Friday evening and see how you feel about "modernised" Headingley.

#32 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

They would probably all love to be at a modernised Central Park, but obviously that would be pie in the sky (geddit?) when you consider the money they received from Tescos and the considerably cheaper option of sharing a brand new stadium with the Latics.

It got them out of the financial hole they were in, but it has crippled the Wigan club - they could be as financially strong as Leeds had things turned out differently.

What you have to consider these days is the income from the away supporting fans. At Headingley, most away fans stand on the Western Terrace. You are talking about a modernised Headingley, well try standing on the Western Terrace on a cold, rainy Friday evening and see how you feel about "modernised" Headingley.

If you want to look at it cold heartedly, away fan income is frankly immaterial in the overall scheme of things. Whilst their concerns (and moreover those of Leeds W Terrace season ticket holders) are not to be dismissed, there is never going to be a roof built above that end of the ground - the club would never get planning permission. They struggled to get permission for the fairly conservative South Stand project which fronts onto a main road; the W Terrace backs onto private houses.

I had the chance to speak to the club's architect during the South Stand public consultation and he discussed distant plans for the W Terrace which would involve it being raized and rebuilt with a concourse beneath (but no roof). That is project three of three, after South and North so you could be waiting some time. However, other areas of the stadium remain available if you prefer.

Edited by M j M, 01 December 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#33 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

The KC is in my opinion the best stadium in RL,notice I didn't mention "ah but you share with soccer".Headingley up to the 1970s-80s was allways regarded as the best,but as bad as some people seem to be making out,the corporate hospitalty etc still make Leeds the best run club in SL.MjM summed it up perfectly about the western terrace.In an area like Headingley getting planning permission for the stadium is nigh on impossible,unlike the cricket side where the media centre monstrocity sailed through because the council didnt want to lose test cricket for the city.The club will not relocate.What would they get for the rugby side attached to a cricket ground?Then find a suitable site in north Leeds.If association football clubs have difficulty building new grounds in this financial climate what ?Headingley will be fine,fit for purpose,but it will take time and Gary Hetherington will not plunge this club into heavy debt
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#34 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

i keep reading all these comments from supporters of other clubs about headingley been a dump and not fit for purpose which is fine if that is there honest opinion but its rather strange never to see any leeds fan make similar comments about headingley which leads me to belive that leeds supporters dont have a problem with the ground which i would have thought is really all that matters in the end .
i mean who wants an allseater stadium that looks pretty much like all other grounds apart from the colour of the seats. i much prefer grounds that look individual such as of course headingley or indeed featherstone or castleford but not the lumps of concrete that get built from what seems an off the shelf plan in recent years with only minor differences between them for the size of the project
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#35 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

i keep reading all these comments from supporters of other clubs about headingley been a dump and not fit for purpose which is fine if that is there honest opinion but its rather strange never to see any leeds fan make similar comments about headingley which leads me to belive that leeds supporters dont have a problem with the ground which i would have thought is really all that matters in the end .
i mean who wants an allseater stadium that looks pretty much like all other grounds apart from the colour of the seats. i much prefer grounds that look individual such as of course headingley or indeed featherstone or castleford but not the lumps of concrete that get built from what seems an off the shelf plan in recent years with only minor differences between them for the size of the project

we only started hearing these comments about Headingley after they left their old grounds which really were that bad
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users