Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#281 Chafford

Chafford
  • Coach
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Does seem strange as your understanding is how I have always known TV rights to work.

Doesn't really make sense tbh as if the RFL had no say then surely they could just name the ko times and tell the broadcasters to suck it up.

Whoever is responsible, they need to pull their finger out and finalise TV arrangements and match times. RLWC were tweeting at the beginning of February that they were about to announce a TV deal.

#282 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Well I have started to get my act together; 2 x World Cup Final tickets bought for my parents.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#283 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Not sure how the tickets are going for Fiji v Ireland - supposed to be played at Spotland but the RLWC site has a photo of Cheserfield FC on the Rochdale webpage.

How the hell can the numpties at the RFL allow this to happen? After all they are part owners of Spotland Stadium - you would think they would know what it looks like - or could check with somebody who does.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a 'contact us' link on the RLWC2013 site to inform them of the cock-up.

I suppose to those numpties anything that doesn't host super league games looks the same!

Answers please RFL. How did this happen - who is responsible for finding photos, checking webpages etc and how did they come to get a picture of Chesterfield FC's ground?

I am not holding my breath while I wait for answers.

#284 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thats quite a rant there, may I suggest a nice cup of tea and a sit down?
Posted Image

#285 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Id be happy if it was at Chessy! Tesco shopping, World Cup Match and home 20 mins after final whistle.

#286 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

England v Italy in a warm up match - hearing Doncaster as the venue.

#287 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

England v Italy in a warm up match - hearing Doncaster as the venue.

If true I assume it will be the actual Italy WC squad players, i.e. Minichello and other Italian Aussies playing?

rldfsignature.jpg

#288 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

If true I assume it will be the actual Italy WC squad players, i.e. Minichello and other Italian Aussies playing?

I would assume that would be the case as it would also be a warmup for them.

As per some of the other conversations previously, I'd prefer them to play this abroad somewhere - rather than in an area where we are looking to sell tickets for WC games. I assume costs will dictate what happens here though.

#289 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yeah it will be just before the world cup so should be strong teams, guess it depends on grand finalists and when exactly the game is planned to take place.

#290 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hear that the main grandstand at Parc des Sports in Avignon now sold out for Kiwi game. 4000 sold in total. Unreal for the game here so many months in advance..
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#291 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

50% of tickets for final gone when I asked today whilst purchasing two more....

#292 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hear that the main grandstand at Parc des Sports in Avignon now sold out for Kiwi game. 4000 sold in total. Unreal for the game here so many months in advance..

It is impressive news to read, also great to see the FFRXIII put out in the same statement that their VIP packs for the game are almost sold out as well.

The other French game in Perpignan is starting to get a move along as well. Large chunks of Tribune Guasch Laborde, Tribune Bonzoms, Tribune Quest appear to have been sold.

Any chance we can move PNG v France from Craven Park to somewhere in France as well?
Posted Image

#293 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Any chance we can move PNG v France from Craven Park to somewhere in France as well?

I don't suppose there is, but the decision to stage this game in Hull while the other 2 games are to be played in France always did seem to me to be rather odd and arbitrary. Is Stanley Gene's playing connections to the city really a strong enough reason to forgo a match played at another French venue - with all the colour and partisanship that could provide as a backdrop?

#294 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

For those still wondering why they bothered with mascots

Posted Image

where is this pic taken? what school etc? Looks great !

The Rofft School/Ysgol y Rofft, Marford (north-east of Wrexham)
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#295 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

It is impressive news to read, also great to see the FFRXIII put out in the same statement that their VIP packs for the game are almost sold out as well.

The other French game in Perpignan is starting to get a move along as well. Large chunks of Tribune Guasch Laborde, Tribune Bonzoms, Tribune Quest appear to have been sold.

Gilbert Brutus is only 12,000 capacity. Its inconceivable isn't that they will not fill it. Monday 11th November is Armistice Day & a public holiday in France. NZ is on a Friday night I presume in Avignon. But the Parc des Sports has succeeded in pulling impressive crowds in recent time against Ireland and England even if lots of freebies have been issued. To imagine near 30,000 watching rugby league in France in the space of a few weeks is like a journey back in time.
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#296 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Just realised that the 1st November is also a public holiday here - All Saints (Toussaints) so may be afternoon start. But anyway makes it that much easier to get a crowd out.

#297 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

I reckon both of those games will be absolute crackers … and the Samoan team looks as strong as the Kiwi team:

Matai to miss Test after pledging allegiance to Samoa

Kiwi centre Steve Matai has ruled himself out of this month's Test match against Australia to play for the Steve Price-coached Samoa in the World Cup later this year.

Matai informed Kiwi officials last Wednesday of his decision to make himself ineligible for New Zealand and, barring injury, will line up for Samoa against Tonga at Centrebet Stadium on April 20.

''I spoke to the Kiwis on Wednesday and said I was going to make myself available for the Samoan side,'' Matai said.

''I want to play for them at the end of the year. It might be my last World Cup, so I want to represent my parents. My parents were born in Samoa.

''I rang Tony Iro and spoke to him. He said everything is fine and he is happy for me to do that. I just thought it was a courtesy thing to do. He was happy and very grateful I made the call.

''The last World Cup I played for the Kiwis, but two years ago I said to Nigel Vagana, who is running it all, 'I want to play the World Cup for Samoa'. He said, 'Wait to see how you feel'. At the start of the year I made the decision I wanted to play for Samoa.''

Dragons coach Price was confirmed on Monday as coach of the Samoan team, while Jeff Lima, Roy Asotasi, Junior Sa'u and David Fa'alogo have all also confirmed their allegiance.

Matai's withdrawal from the Kiwi side and Krisnan Inu's pending suspension have left coach Stephen Kearney with a selection quandary in the centres for the Test in Canberra on April 19.

Shaun Kenny-Dowall is guaranteed to be one centre, but Gerard Beale, Dean Whare, Jerome Ropati and Konrad Hurrell are all fighting it out for the one position.

With Sonny Bill Williams returning to the Kiwi side, Kearney could be tempted to shift skipper Simon Mannering to the centres, given he still has Adam Blair, Frank Pritchard and Jeremy Smith in the second-row.

Edited by Jim from Oz, 01 April 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#298 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

The Samoan team will basically be nz A, there won't be anyone actually from Samoa playing.

#299 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

The Samoan team will basically be nz A, there won't be anyone actually from Samoa playing.

Same sort of thing will probably apply with Italy, which will be a passport fiddle team largely made up of NRL players.

#300 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

You mean rather like the England cricket team and the England RU team or the Fiji RU side etc,etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users