TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#301 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

I dont think you can be dismissive of where Samoa get their players from. Their people emigrate to New Zealand in large numbers, who are we to say that they are no longer Samoan. We need the pacific islands for the future growth of RL, I dont think it's a big deal if their players live in Samoa or live in New Zealand - as long as they're identifiably Samoan in ethnicity,language,culture etc then who gives a hoot?

#302 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

I notice Joel Monghan has turned down the opportunity to play for Ireland. He says it wouldn't have felt right playing against Australia after playing for them a couple of times.

#303 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

I dont think you can be dismissive of where Samoa get their players from. Their people emigrate to New Zealand in large numbers, who are we to say that they are no longer Samoan. We need the pacific islands for the future growth of RL, I dont think it's a big deal if their players live in Samoa or live in New Zealand - as long as they're identifiably Samoan in ethnicity,language,culture etc then who gives a hoot?

Correct, but I think there should be some sort of development going on in Samoa itself.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#304 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Correct, but I think there should be some sort of development going on in Samoa itself.

no argument from me on that score

#305 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Agree. I thought Nigel Vagana was the man who was going to kick start RL in Samoa after he gathered plenty of ex Kiwis for the 2008 WC qualifiers. What's been done in Samoa since?

rldfsignature.jpg

#306 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

40,000 tickets sold for the final apparently.

http://www.rlwc2013....final-boost-for

#307 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Great going is that! Not got mine yet, really need to get myself sorted!!!

#308 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Ha, ner ner RFU. We can play at Old Trafford.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#309 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

Good progress.

#310 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Ha, ner ner RFU. We can play at Old Trafford.

One shouldn't gloat, but :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#311 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Has there been anything recently on kick-off times for any matches? I've still got a few matches where I'm waiting on kick-off times before I purchase tickets.

#312 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Has there been anything recently on kick-off times for any matches? I've still got a few matches where I'm waiting on kick-off times before I purchase tickets.

I think the kick off times are all tied in with television rights aren't they? And that's all in the hands of IMG.

#313 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

I think the kick off times are all tied in with television rights aren't they? And that's all in the hands of IMG.

I think that's right, but presumably IMG are going to have to conclude TV deals some time! I'm a bit surprised that RLWC2013 didn't require IMG to sort kick-off times out in good time. I guess IMG & the TV companies are both playing hard ball, but it's of no benefit to rugby league, as we've got our money now, we just need good TV coverage and decent kick-off times.

#314 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Great going is that! Not got mine yet, really need to get myself sorted!!!

me neither. Need to sort accommodation as well. Best suggestions for near old Trafford appreciated
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#315 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I think that's right, but presumably IMG are going to have to conclude TV deals some time! I'm a bit surprised that RLWC2013 didn't require IMG to sort kick-off times out in good time. I guess IMG & the TV companies are both playing hard ball, but it's of no benefit to rugby league, as we've got our money now, we just need good TV coverage and decent kick-off times.

I think you'll find any extra money IMG is able to get out of the TV negotiations will come back to us in some form. Generally with these types of deals, a company like IMG will underwrite the TV contracts to a certain value, which of course is our minimum guarantee of revenue. If however they are able to achieve above and beyond that, which it would be a first if IMG doesn't get above their underwrite (which is usually set at a conservative rate), we get a share of those extra dollars as well.

It's just generally the more over IMG goes, the greater their % of the total pot is. Ie. If they underwrote the TV rights for $5 million, that is what they have to guarantee us, however for every dollar they earn between $5 - $10 million, it maybe split 50:50, but for every dollar above that $10 million mark, IMG might collect 70:30.

So it would be unsurprising that in the Australian, French, UK and NZ markets IMG would be fighting pretty hard to get a good pay day.
Posted Image

#316 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

yes, that's all well and good, but when are we going to get some TV (and kick-off time) announcements?

Yours
Impatient !

#317 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

The difference with the Final at Old Trafford 2000 alone is already immense. They were desperately trying to get a crowd out last minute back then with MEN giving them away I think. What did we finish up with 45,000 or so?
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#318 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Already having sold 40,000 tickets,means it is very likely to sell out - another 35,000 - over the next 6 months.Some people will be disappointed in England get there! Well done the RFL,forward planning.

#319 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Regarding kick off times, I just hope there's some daytime goes on TV, don't like night games.

Edited by YCKonstantine, 04 April 2013 - 04:45 PM.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#320 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

A much shortened version of the press release was printed in bold under an imposing rugby league picture slap bang in the middle of the rugby union pages of The Times today. Sounds like the withdrawal of Old Trafford has caused the rugby union authorities a bit of a panic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users