Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#321 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Rugby anecdotes from local people will be featured in a play written to celebrate the Rugby World Cup's arrival in Workington later this year.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#322 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Rugby anecdotes from local people will be featured in a play written to celebrate the Rugby World Cup's arrival in Workington later this year.

Good stuff. Another way to give the World Cup and RL a cultural presence.

#323 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Regardless of your thoughts on the World Cup, the 40,000 is a great achievement. 

When you consider that 44,000 is the biggest international crowd we've had in this country in the last 18 years, to have sold 40,000 6 months prior to the game is outstanding. I'd feel better if it was the first game though. I don't want to put a dampener on anything but the 44,000 in 2000 was scant consolation to what had gone previously.

Is it worth pointing out that if they sell another 33,000 tickets then we are looking at a World record international RL crowd? It's items like this that they should be shouting from the rooftops, to try and create a feel-good factor. It's even starting to get me excited, and I'm the ultimate RLWC cynic! 

#324 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Any news on sales for other games?

#325 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

As mentioned before, whilst it's great over 40,000 tickets have been sold for Old Trafford, and that well over 100,000 tickets have been sold for the tournament it is important that we ensure we kick start the tournament with a big crowd at Millennium Stadium.

Going off what we can see on the Ticketmaster site:

• Category 1 - Bay 7 & 11 have been majority filled.
  • Category 2 - Bays 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12 have been majority filled.
  • Category 4 - Bays 1, 2, 3, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 have been majority filled
  • Category 5 - Bays 1, 2, 3, 15, 16, 17 have been majority filled
  • Category 6 - Not sure if this is not on sale, or if it has been filled..  will consider not on sale yet.
  • Category 7 - All Bays in the lower bowl are now down to single seats only (16 part bays)

And taking some guesstimates of how many tickets have been sold for the venue. The lower bowl fits 23,500 and we have so far filled 12 of 42 bays, that equates to  roughly 6,700 tickets.  The middle tier holds 18,000 and we have filled 11 of 38 which equals 5,200.  There is then those middle bays L9, M8, M9, M10 which aren't on sale despite being in prime position.  It's relatively safe to assume that the reason for this would be because they are sponsor/comp/partner allocations, which adds in another 2,000 tickets.

That means there should be at least 14,000 sold based upon what bays we know are filled.  Of course we don't know how many other people are scattered across the venue, and we don't know yet if anyone has bought in the upper tier, and of course not all bays are the same size at Millennium, and we also haven't taken into account the Category 7 seats in the lower bowl, because they only take up part of a bay, so there will be some give and take and the truer number is most likely larger.

On the plus side, the largest international crowd we've ever had at Millenium Stadium is 17,612, which we are well on track to beat.  The down side is we still have a lot of tickets to sell to the match which will realistically set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

It's no surprise that 1995 got off to a good start due to 41K turning up at Wembley and a strong England performance, 2000 got off to a bad start after 3,000 rocked up in Belfast for the first match, followed by a half empty Twickenham where we got 33K and England just looked out of the hunt. 

Posted Image

#326 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Well, I've sent for my ticket for the final - not sure how I'll get back if it's an evening ko but it's the World Cup Final and I'VE GOT TO BE THERE!!!!

#327 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have my final ticket but everything apart from Wembley and the game in Bristol for me is in doubt until we get an answer on Kick off times.
Of course I could just be waiting for the freebies, discounts and upgrades which have already secured my attendance at the final, SL grand final and CC final..

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#328 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Regarding kick off times, I just hope there's some daytime goes on TV, don't like night games.

If the rumours are true, it's going to
be the BBC and Premier Sports broadcasting the World Cup. If it is them, I can't see many of the weekend games kicking off later than 3pm.

#329 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

be the BBC and Premier Sports broadcasting the World Cup. If it is them, I can't see many of the weekend games kicking off later than 3pm.

Dunno about that - it's not unusual for the BBC to show early evening games now - probably pushed to BBC 2 though.

I would expect a key game at 2-3pm each weekend day, but I also expect an evening game there too.

#330 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I read somewhere that the England V Australia game is to be the first game at Cardiff as it suits Aussie TV better. If that's true, I suspect we'll see Australia's group games played early afternoon, but there's no reason why the other weekend games won't be spread out across the afternoon and evening slots.

#331 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Premier sports is a disappointing choice, an add on subscription channel only available on satellite not cable, but if sky and espn were not interested beggars can't be choosers.

#332 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Premier sports is a disappointing choice, an add on subscription channel only available on satellite not cable, but if sky and espn were not interested beggars can't be choosers.

Yes - I suppose these are just rumours and the fact that nothing has been announced suggest it's not locked down yet.

I think Sky are important for our game internationally - they have a large audience, even just in pubs, and BBC having core games with Sky having everything else would be the perfect solution for me.

I worry that we will end up with a small number of games being televised - the aim should be for every game live.

#333 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Premier Sports having the majority of World Cup matches would be disastrous. In fact I'd go as far as to say that it would ruin the tournament.

Edited by Evil Homer, 09 April 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#334 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Would certainly exclude cable customers and those who can't afford an extra channel. If Sky are not going to be involved I would seriously worry that they may dump Super League in a similar fashion to their almost total withdrawal from the boxing market a few years back.

#335 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

TV coverage is absolutely crucial … we can't have a repeat of 1995 when only the tiniest minority of games were televised in the UK !

#336 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Derby City sold their purchase of 50 tickets for the World Cup final inside a month and the players were not back until last Tuesday! We agreed at a meeting Tuesday evening to buy 50 more.

Looks like we will need two coaches to get there - all good news  B)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#337 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Are the teams who are hosting games selling tickets? Are Leeds, Warrington, St Helens, etc. working with their season ticket holders?

I'm just curious whether they are or not, rather than whether they should or shouldn't!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#338 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Are the teams who are hosting games selling tickets? Are Leeds, Warrington, St Helens, etc. working with their season ticket holders?

I'm just curious whether they are or not, rather than whether they should or shouldn't!

I can safely say that so far St Helens are doing sod all. 

But that would be nothing new!

#339 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I can safely say that so far St Helens are doing sod all. 

But that would be nothing new!

I suppose we should give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a strategy to get Magic out of the way, and then on the back of the Exiles game when the kick off times are announced for the WC games go with a big push by the RFL and all member clubs on the World Cup.

#340 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

And why are we/the RFL even bothering with the magic week end when their every penny and second should be spent on the World Cup? (Unless the magic week end is somehow a money spinner for them I suppose...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users