League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#381 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Given that Wrexham holds around 13,ooo and Wigan 25,000 and Australia are in Englands group, I would hazard a guess that the BBC expect England to finish second.

It's not the BBC it's the organisers. I suggested a couple of weeks back that they should have gone with the '08 organisers approach of stating that the Aussies Semi Final would be at the SFS irrespective of whether they qualified for the 1st or 2nd semi.

The risk now is that England could play Wales at Wrexham with a small crowd if they get off to a flyer and beat Australia in Cardiff.

#382 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

It's not the BBC it's the organisers. I suggested a couple of weeks back that they should have gone with the '08 organisers approach of stating that the Aussies Semi Final would be at the SFS irrespective of whether they qualified for the 1st or 2nd semi.

The risk now is that England could play Wales at Wrexham with a small crowd if they get off to a flyer and beat Australia in Cardiff.

That certainly is one scenario. If it transpires, Im woukld expect a huge demand for tickets with many people being disappointed due to the small ground capacity.

Do you know if there are any plans to re open the closed terracing behind one of the goals.?

#383 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

That certainly is one scenario. If it transpires, Im woukld expect a huge demand for tickets with many people being disappointed due to the small ground capacity.

Do you know if there are any plans to re open the closed terracing behind one of the goals.?

I don't think it has been used for a while now, the capacity I believe is around 10k.

IMHO it would be a big mistake to 'reward' England for coming first by making them play an away game in the QF in a small ground, whilst staging an Australia v France at Wigan.

I hate being negative about this as I think they have done a fabulous job so far, but there are a couple of bugs in there imho.

#384 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Capacity at Wrexham's about 10500, the terracing's been closed for many a year due to safety issues.

#385 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Capacity at Wrexham's about 10500, the terracing's been closed for many a year due to safety issues.

It would be nowhere big enough for a crowd for an England quarter final. If I remember correcvtly they got 15,000 to headingley for a quarter final against Ireland and a couple of attendances above 20,000 for semi finals against Wales.

I think they hope England finish second and have a game at Wigan which should attract a decent attendance in the bigger stadium.

#386 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

It would be nowhere big enough for a crowd for an England quarter final. If I remember correcvtly they got 15,000 to headingley for a quarter final against Ireland and a couple of attendances above 20,000 for semi finals against Wales.

I think they hope England finish second and have a game at Wigan which should attract a decent attendance in the bigger stadium.

Yes - it would have been better had they just stated that England will be playing at Wigan, no matter who they play.

If England win that first game and go on to win the group, the buzz will be massive yet people who bought tickets for Wigan will miss out, and the tournament will miss out on a crowd which could be 20-25k.

#387 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Masters Rugby League festival planned for St Joseph's at Fartown when World Cup comes to Huddersfield.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#388 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

All If's and But's what if England finish 3rd? You can't mark out a route for any team even if some people think the tournament only has 3 good teams, Unfortunately for you guys Wales is a Co-Host so let us have quarter final at least.

Australia v Cook Islands at Wrexham :D spare a thought for us Welsh :O

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 26 April 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#389 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

All If's and But's what if England finish 3rd? You can't mark out a route for any team even if some people think the tournament only has 3 good teams, Unfortunately for you guys Wales is a Co-Host so let us have quarter final at least.

Australia v Cook Islands at Wrexham :D spare a thought for us Welsh :O

Actually you pretty much can. You can arrange games based on ranking.

#390 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

On a Saturday evening on terrestrial TV? 

Just how far is the number 2 button away from number 1 on your remote?

That's fine for dedicated fans but at 8pm on a Saturday night in November you're going head to head with X Factor and that Strictly thing. You and I might think they're turgid rubbish but I can't see many casual viewers pressing that 2 button you mention.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#391 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

That's fine for dedicated fans but at 8pm on a Saturday night in November you're going head to head with X Factor and that Strictly thing. You and I might think they're turgid rubbish but I can't see many casual viewers pressing that 2 button you mention.

indeed. Saturday evening games seem strange but hey they are there now.

#392 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

So, with kick-off times announced, has there been a surge in ticket sales ???

#393 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Ticket sales in Limerick have picked up a reasonable bit.

From what we can see via Ticketmaster's seat selector tool, we now have 1,922 seats sold + whatever has been sold in the two General Admission section.  With still plenty of days left till the match, we are on track for our biggest international crowd in Ireland...

Posted Image

#394 Ben_Ram

Ben_Ram
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

any idea on sales for england v aus game, (double header)

#395 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Ticket sales in Limerick have picked up a reasonable bit.

From what we can see via Ticketmaster's seat selector tool, we now have 1,922 seats sold + whatever has been sold in the two General Admission section.  With still plenty of days left till the match, we are on track for our biggest international crowd in Ireland...

Good positive stuff... but I still can't help calling him 'Edna' - LINK TO STORY

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#396 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Good positive stuff... but I still can't help calling him 'Edna' - LINK TO STORY

Isn't the Challenge Cup older?

I know we don't use the original any more, but we still have it!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#397 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Isn't the Challenge Cup older?

I know we don't use the original any more, but we still have it!

The Goodwill Trophy is also older, and there are probably other non-international trophies that pre-date it. It is the original (and best) Rugby World Cup, though! B)

#398 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

well I've bought two today for Cardiff on the strength of finally knowing the kick off time, got the best placed Cat2 tickets and we're off towards the end so I guess most of those have sold out already in the East Stand. I guess, without press releases, we'll only get an idea how things are going once they start opening up currently unavailable sections at the various grounds.

Oh, yes - nearly forgot, those Cardiff hoteliers are scalping swines. I wont be telling 'er indoors how much my room at the Ibis came in at ;-)

#399 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Oops! :D

#400 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

ha ha..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users