Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#421 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

WC in Avignon yesterday. Present at schools rugby event in the city. Giant Haka with 800 participants! Good stuff. Video below.

http://www.citylocal....com/avignon/20 ... st-benezet

That's fantastic!  What a great way to get people engaged with the world cup! 

#422 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Looks like you can buy tickets in the lower West Stand for the Opening Ceremony. The blocks are still coloured grey on the map but you can click and purchase.

I've yet to see a single advert for the world cup at a national level.  I don't know what the world cup team hope to achieve without promoting this comp nationally: on TV, in print and online.

#423 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

I've yet to see a single advert for the world cup at a national level.  I don't know what the world cup team hope to achieve without promoting this comp nationally: on TV, in print and online.

Few events advertise on TV to be fair. It is a very expensive for of advertising and not always that succesful. Same goes for Press ads. They may be having far more success using the channels they are - they are certainly getting plenty of free PR. 

I wouldn't be suprprised if they did use TV or Press in the lead up, but certainly not at this stage.

#424 Scuuba

Scuuba
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

You'd certainly expect the broadcasters providing the WC coverage to ramp up the advertising as the opening kick-off rolls draws closer.

At present the only time you read about the WC is through the common RL media channels, so it's only targeting those who'd normally be attending. Granted it sounds like it has been quite successful so far, but if they want to get new fans interested then they need to start getting more attention.

Also, is there a conflict of interest for TV companies to advertise this far in advance, as it would mostly get people buying tickets rather than watching on TV?

Is the amount of on-air advertising time something that gets negotiated into the viewing rights between the tournament host and the media?

#425 dkgfd

dkgfd
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Tickets must be selling well at the millenium. Or the websites rubbish!

I've just bought mine and i couldnt get a family ticket except for the top 2 price brackets.

errr.........is it scaramanga?

#426 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

I dont want to get negative on such a positive feed and its superb to see but ....My Uncle went to buy tickets today from Scotland for their world cup games, after one look he thought nope your ok and changed his mind, have to say I dont blame him, this is for a rugby league world cup game, really? this is what you see from the RLWC2013 website, view from your seat? Shocking

area.794.jpg

area.795.jpg

#427 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Maybe your uncle would like to go to some other games? Or was he just keen on Scotland?

and yes, the stadium does look a bit … underwhelming

#428 Mr Frisky

Mr Frisky
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Maybe your uncle would like to go to some other games? Or was he just keen on Scotland?

and yes, the stadium does look a bit … underwhelming

They have just spent £450K on Derwent Park so it is looking a lot better than most lower league grounds and with a 10,000 capacity as well.

The fences shown in the photos are actually in place for a speedway meeting – (they pay rent to Town to use the stadium) these fences are lowered for Rugby games so the view is normally pretty good.

#429 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Perhaps they should put photos on the ticket website without these fences etc

My Uncle was onyl really interested in watching Scotland but is going to the final :D

#430 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

They have just spent £450K on Derwent Park so it is looking a lot better than most lower league grounds and with a 10,000 capacity as well.

The fences shown in the photos are actually in place for a speedway meeting – (they pay rent to Town to use the stadium) these fences are lowered for Rugby games so the view is normally pretty good.

Edited by shaun mc, 16 May 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#431 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

I dont want to get negative on such a positive feed and its superb to see but ....My Uncle went to buy tickets today from Scotland for their world cup games, after one look he thought nope your ok and changed his mind, have to say I dont blame him, this is for a rugby league world cup game, really? this is what you see from the RLWC2013 website, view from your seat? Shocking

You wouldn't see that view from a seat. There are no seats where those pictures are taken from. The first is from the enclosure, a small terraced area at the foot of the grandstand. The second is from the banked open terracing at the town end of the ground.

Also, as somebody else has mentioned, those are safety fences for the speedway and they are removed on rugby game days. Plus the fact that they were obviously taken prior to any of the refurbishment work that's taken place as the grandstand is shown with the old seats in it.

#432 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Having trouble posting but.....

The RLWC website 'view from my seat' photos are totally inaccurate for 2 out of the 3 sections of tickets.

#433 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

You wouldn't hire that photographer to sell your house, I realise the ground is not the KC or Langtree Park but I'm sure a better 'view' can be found.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#434 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Think the photographer must have been from Whitehaven!!

#435 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Perhaps they should put photos on the ticket website without these fences etc

My Uncle was onyl really interested in watching Scotland but is going to the final :D

Send him to the USA vs Scotland match at Salford. Could be one of the best matches of the tournament and a rare chance to see the USA on British soil.

#436 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Send him to the USA vs Scotland match at Salford. Could be one of the best matches of the tournament and a rare chance to see the USA on British soil.

This is one of the matches I'm hoping to see as I'd like to watch the American contingent (while being aware that some of them may have an Aussie twang to their accent!). 

#437 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I contacted the RLWC site through Facebook earlier today, to advise that the view from seat photos were inaccurate and were putting people off buying tickets for the 2 games at Workington.

I've had a reply tonight to say that now the work has been finished, they will send someone up to take better photos. This is about 3 months too late, and may have put many purchasers off already by the terrible photos.

#438 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

I contacted the RLWC site through Facebook earlier today, to advise that the view from seat photos were inaccurate and were putting people off buying tickets for the 2 games at Workington.

I've had a reply tonight to say that now the work has been finished, they will send someone up to take better photos. This is about 3 months too late, and may have put many purchasers off already by the terrible photos.

Good on you for telling the RFL

#439 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'll be attending this one, along with a recent RL convert originally from Glasgow. He is already overexcited as its the first time he'll see Scotland play RL. Should be a great game!

#440 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

You can't buy two tickets together in the Cat 4 or Cat 5 seats for Cardiff anymore. Only L4, L5 and L14 available in the Cat 2 seats too. I might end up having to get tickets up in the top tier at this rate.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users