Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#501 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Don't worry, the feeling will soon pass. ;)

I'll just have to drink some more happy juice then. I think it's going to be a great tournament and would be superb if England could actually win it.

#502 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Was planning my world cup itinerary on Saturday. Should manage to get to 24 of the 28 matches. The first week after the opening ceremony weekend is quite exciting as there is a trip to Rochdale Monday, Workington Tuesday, Bristol Wednesday, then Eurostar to Avignon for the match on Friday before flying back home Saturday morning in time for the England v Ireland game at Huddersfield on Saturday afternoon, before shooting down the M62 to watch the Aussies v Figi at St Helens Saturday evening, then off to Wrexham on Sunday for Wales v USA.

Best pop into work on the Monday before the PNG v Samoa game at Hull KR on Monday evening & Tonga v Cook Islands on the Tuesday. Heaven knows what I'll do on the Wednesday evening as there aren't any games. Suppose I can always watch them again on Premier Sports.

Can't wait!!

#503 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Was planning my world cup itinerary on Saturday. Should manage to get to 24 of the 28 matches. The first week after the opening ceremony weekend is quite exciting as there is a trip to Rochdale Monday, Workington Tuesday, Bristol Wednesday, then Eurostar to Avignon for the match on Friday before flying back home Saturday morning in time for the England v Ireland game at Huddersfield on Saturday afternoon, before shooting down the M62 to watch the Aussies v Figi at St Helens Saturday evening, then off to Wrexham on Sunday for Wales v USA.

Best pop into work on the Monday before the PNG v Samoa game at Hull KR on Monday evening & Tonga v Cook Islands on the Tuesday. Heaven knows what I'll do on the Wednesday evening as there aren't any games. Suppose I can always watch them again on Premier Sports.

Can't wait!!

Haha brilliant! :D

I have just bought two tickets for the final!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#504 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Tell us more!

At the risk of boring people here goes.

It was the 1960 World Cup in England and the teams taking part were Great Britain ( a good thing too because it meant we could pick Billy Boston, he of Hall of Fame and Wembley statue fame  who was ,of course Welsh ), France, Australia and New Zealand. There was no Welsh team or any other teams. There were no other RL international teams anywhere in the world, which shows how far the game has developed internationally.

The venues were all on the M62 corridor and were Odsal, Headingley, Swinton and Wigan. The only decent ground was Headingley and maybe Central Park. Swinton was old and decaying and Odsal was indeed the odslum of ridicule. Cinder bankings, old rotting railway sleepers for terracing, a perimeter fence around the pitch which was wooden clapboards and has once been painted white. The dressing rooms were at the top of the depression and the teams had to walk about 400 yds downhill through the crowd to get to the pitch. I think the referee, especially Eric Clay still wore blazers on the pitch. No video ref either.No interchanges either. Contested scrums so the forwards had to have another set of skills not needed today.

I was 14 and a bunch of similarly aged mates from Keighley took the long, slow bus ride to Bradford bus station and the Bradford City Corporation relay busses up the long uphill slog to Odsal, each bus being packed to the gills.

I saw my first international and 1st world cup game GB v NZ. There were 20,000 there to see a GB victory and there were some great players in that team, Eric Ashton, Alex Murphy, Mick Sullivan, Vince Karalius, Frank Myler, The pack was awesome, Jack Wilkinson, another Welshman at hooker, Tomy Harris, That great ball playing prop, a lost art, in Brian Mctigue, Derek Turner,Johhny Whitely and the afore mentiond Karalius, the wild bull of the pampas. A very talented and very tough bunch.

GB won23 to 9.

I also saw Australia play NZ at Headingley where the famous Aus centre partnership of Wells and Gasnier was on display but the NZ squad lost narrowly 21 to 15. this was unexpected as NZ were the runt of the litter in international League in those days.

I also saw the final game at Odsal in pouring rain and a muddy bog of a pitch where 32000 saw us beat the Aussies to take the cup. The two great wingers of the era, Mick Sullivan and Billy Boston scored our tries.

That was my experience of the 1960 WC but in other games, Australia barely manged to beat France 13 to 12 before 20,000 at Wigan and GB destroyed to same French team at Swinton  33 to 7 before 23,000.

The referee for the deciding game was a French official and I don't remember any whinging from the Aussies.

I hope I didn't bore anyone but that was my first World Cup and hooked my on international RL for life.

let's hope we get a similar result this time for England, who will, of course have no Welsh help this time around.

#505 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Can't wait!!

I'm doing exactly the same with the exception of the Avignon game. If the crowd at Wrexham is not too big, I will the  old geezer wearing a Cougars shirt and waving the stars and stripes in order to preserve domestic harmony. I hope there is no traffic jam on the M62 whilst trying to get from Huddersfield to St Helens in time for the kick off or else it could be a close shave as to whether I get there for the kick off.

It's the rugby trip of a lifetime for me.

#506 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

It was the 1960 World Cup in England and the teams taking part were Great Britain ( a good thing too because it meant we could pick Billy Boston, he of Hall of Fame and Wembley statue fame  who was ,of course Welsh ), France, Australia and New Zealand. There was no Welsh team or any other teams. There were no other RL international teams anywhere in the world, which shows how far the game has developed internationally.

The venues were all on the M62 corridor and were Odsal, Headingley, Swinton and Wigan. The only decent ground was Headingley and maybe Central Park. Swinton was old and decaying and Odsal was indeed the odslum of ridicule. Cinder bankings, old rotting railway sleepers for terracing, a perimeter fence around the pitch which was wooden clapboards and has once been painted white. The dressing rooms were at the top of the depression and the teams had to walk about 400 yds downhill through the crowd to get to the pitch. I think the referee, especially Eric Clay still wore blazers on the pitch. No video ref either.No interchanges either. Contested scrums so the forwards had to have another set of skills not needed today.

I was 14 and a bunch of similarly aged mates from Keighley took the long, slow bus ride to Bradford bus station and the Bradford City Corporation relay busses up the long uphill slog to Odsal, each bus being packed to the gills.

I saw my first international and 1st world cup game GB v NZ. There were 20,000 there to see a GB victory and there were some great players in that team, Eric Ashton, Alex Murphy, Mick Sullivan, Vince Karalius, Frank Myler, The pack was awesome, Jack Wilkinson, another Welshman at hooker, Tomy Harris, That great ball playing prop, a lost art, in Brian Mctigue, Derek Turner,Johhny Whitely and the afore mentiond Karalius, the wild bull of the pampas. A very talented and very tough bunch.

GB won23 to 9.

I also saw Australia play NZ at Headingley where the famous Aus centre partnership of Wells and Gasnier was on display but the NZ squad lost narrowly 21 to 15. this was unexpected as NZ were the runt of the litter in international League in those days.

I also saw the final game at Odsal in pouring rain and a muddy bog of a pitch where 32000 saw us beat the Aussies to take the cup. The two great wingers of the era, Mick Sullivan and Billy Boston scored our tries.

That was my experience of the 1960 WC but in other games, Australia barely manged to beat France 13 to 12 before 20,000 at Wigan and GB destroyed to same French team at Swinton  33 to 7 before 23,000.

The referee for the deciding game was a French official and I don't remember any whinging from the Aussies.

I hope I didn't bore anyone but that was my first World Cup and hooked my on international RL for life.

let's hope we get a similar result this time for England, who will, of course have no Welsh help this time around.

Fantastic stuff Keighley, thanks !

The first EVER rugby league match I went to was a World Cup game, Australia v England at the SCG as part of the 1975 World Cup. There was a big crowd (33,000) and it was an exciting match (10-10); I can still remember Australian centre Mark Harris going off with a massive broken nose or some such face injury after only about 10 minutes; plus I remember there was a very loud Pommy supporter in the crowd who kept standing up and shouting things, and I was fascinated!  I'd never seen a Pommy before! :-)

I was 11 years old and I've been hooked on international RL ever since; a passion that was reinforced when I lived in the UK from 1990 to 1993 and went to such games as GB v Australia at Wembley and Old Trafford during the epic 1990 Ashes series (when are they coming back??!!)

Thanks to the idiotic scheduling/lack of support for RL World Cups, I didn't get to see another World Cup on Australian soil until 2008  - a 33-year wait !!!!!

Would love to be at the 2013 RLWC. I reckon it'll be brilliant - and I don't care who wins as long as it's not the arrogant Aussies !

#507 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

Can't wait!!

Impressive! By my calculations, it's actually impossible for an individual to attend more than 24 full games during the tournament. I guess that you've already worked that out though.

Edited by faz'_nose, 12 June 2013 - 03:54 AM.

#508 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

I'm doing exactly the same with the exception of the Avignon game. If the crowd at Wrexham is not too big, I will the  old geezer wearing a Cougars shirt and waving the stars and stripes in order to preserve domestic harmony. I hope there is no traffic jam on the M62 whilst trying to get from Huddersfield to St Helens in time for the kick off or else it could be a close shave as to whether I get there for the kick off.

As with South Wakefield Sharks, it's great to see such genuine enthusiasm for the tournament as a whole. I'll be going to all of the England games and 'one or two' others so I feel like a 'part-timer' in comparison.

#509 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Can't wait!!

Well done that man - and all those like him !

#510 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well done Mr Keighley !

#511 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

GB won23 to 9.

We're the same era. I travelled over the Pennines from Widnes on the Yates coach for that game against Australia in the rain at Odsal which decided the outcome of the tournament. No Final in those days. Frank Myler was our hero.The first international I can remember in Chemics colours although I had a real soft spot for Wires Bobby Greenough a spring heeled stand off who played on the wing against the Kiwis. I remember too huddling around our wireless set listening to commentary on the Monday after the Aussie game when GB played & beat the Rest of the World Select also at Odsal under floodlights before 3,908 spectators.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#512 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

My first World Cup was 2000.

And that didn't do me any harm.

:wacko:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#513 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

1992 and I was distraught

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#514 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

My first World Cup was 2000.

And that didn't do me any harm.

:wacko:

It was grim though wasn't it!

Saw some great games in 2000, but it was hard keeping the enthusiasm up. Thank God for Wales' first half performance in the semi-final against the Aussies.

#515 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

So I reckoning about 20,000 tickets have been sold as a minimum for the semi-final so far.

That doesn't sound very encouraging. 

#516 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

First World Cup was 1995. Tonga-NZ at Wilderspool. Awesome. That tournament probably made me an RL fan for life.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#517 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

First World Cup was 1995. Tonga-NZ at Wilderspool. Awesome. That tournament probably made me an RL fan for life.

Same here - just had to check I hadn't been to one of the 1990/1 World Cup games.

Always have a soft spot for Tonga after that game, which was an absolute classic and came from nowhere.

#518 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Of all the matches in that tournament, that was the one I didn't see that I regret missing the most.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#519 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

That doesn't sound very encouraging. 

There is still four months to go remember (plus it is my lowest guestimate!). I'd hope that between RL fans around the country, they are well on the way to shifting enough tickets to fill both the lower tier AND the Club Wembley section (there was a deal for Exiles and Semi-Final tickets, which is in that section). If England do well, I can see plenty of tickets being shifted from the general public having watched the competition on the BBC. I can't see Wembley being filled, but I can see a 70,000 crowd if all goes well.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 13 June 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#520 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Of all the matches in that tournament, that was the one I didn't see that I regret missing the most.

The match I regret missing was the 1995 WC semi between New Zealand and Australia which went to extra time. I didn't go to Huddersfield because the RFL put up the sold out posters. The official attendance was 16,608  :angry:

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users