Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#561 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

There has been zero promotion in Australia. I would go as far to say that less than half of all rugby league fans would even know the World Cup is on this year, and of the other half most of them don't care. Sad, but shows how much respect the international game has here.

#562 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

Yes, but OZ RL authorities have hardly helped that matter by their woeful non-dedication to international RL over the decades, and not a single World Cup in Oz for 31 years from 1977 to 2008 !!!

This attitude may hopefully change with the new Australian RL Commission, whose members are making the right noises in this regard.

#563 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

It'd be nice for an official update press release.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#564 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Interesting article in this weeks League Express which claims that the delay in awarding overseas TV rights is putting potential sponsors off.

#565 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Cor blimey, doesn't sound good … do u have a link for that ???

And why the delay ???

#566 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

I'll apologise for the negative tone of this post in advance, as I am as excited about this World Cup as anybody, having booked a handful of tickets and planning a couple of weekends away.

I am starting to see quite a few worrying signs for this tournament though.

1 - Lack of sponsors. I mean real sponsors - the website has partners like Marriott, Hertz, Ticketmaster, Steeden, Gullivers etc, but these are all logistical sponsors providing services and I assume little cash if any. We haven't seen anything from a sponsor who simply wants their name associated with our tournament.

2 - Ticket Sales - whilst it would appear that sales are going well, the fact that this has gone quiet worries me. I think that the estimates on here will be far too high, as ultimately blocks will be shown as sold when in fact they are probably just out with partners, agents, clubs and reserved for potential sponsors. Where are the updates on individual games? Some games should be close to selling out now.

3 - Promotion - in general I'd argue this has been very good, and the social media side is well worth following and gets some good stuff on there, but then they have also started certain things and don;t appear to see them through.

The Trophy Tour is excellent and appears to be getting quite a lot of coverage - from looking at the website it would appear it is in Edinburgh at Parliament this Friday. Can I find any details of time or when I can go to have my picture taken? Nope. I hate it when they do things half-hearted, and there are a few things like this that worry me.

Where is this large ball pass thing that was going to be touring the country? I assume it is part of the Trophy Tour - but it was launched with a bit of noise, and then never mentioned again.

4 - TV rights - we are 4 months off the start of the comp - all rights should now be confirmed, certainly in the major League playing nations. It's all well and good sorting out twitter accounts etc. but the real nitty gritty of sponsors and broadcast partners are the real meat and bones of a tournament like this.

On the flip side, there are plenty of things that have been done well so I don't want to be too harsh, but a lot of the good work will be undone if ultimately the grounds are less than half full and no sponsors or major broadcast partners are in place.

#567 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Have you emailed your concerns to tom.coates@rlwc2013.com...?

And just on point 1, other than the Lincoln World Cup in 2000, when have we ever had a sponsor for the tournament? Do Football and Union have a title sponsor for their comps? A title sponsor takes away a bit of prestige in my opinion, although official partners sure, lets get as many as possible on board!

Posted Image

#568 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'll apologise for the negative tone of this post in advance, as I am as excited about this World Cup as anybody, having booked a handful of tickets and planning a couple of weekends away.

I am starting to see quite a few worrying signs for this tournament though.

1 - Lack of sponsors. I mean real sponsors - the website has partners like Marriott, Hertz, Ticketmaster, Steeden, Gullivers etc, but these are all logistical sponsors providing services and I assume little cash if any. We haven't seen anything from a sponsor who simply wants their name associated with our tournament.

2 - Ticket Sales - whilst it would appear that sales are going well, the fact that this has gone quiet worries me. I think that the estimates on here will be far too high, as ultimately blocks will be shown as sold when in fact they are probably just out with partners, agents, clubs and reserved for potential sponsors. Where are the updates on individual games? Some games should be close to selling out now.

3 - Promotion - in general I'd argue this has been very good, and the social media side is well worth following and gets some good stuff on there, but then they have also started certain things and don;t appear to see them through.

The Trophy Tour is excellent and appears to be getting quite a lot of coverage - from looking at the website it would appear it is in Edinburgh at Parliament this Friday. Can I find any details of time or when I can go to have my picture taken? Nope. I hate it when they do things half-hearted, and there are a few things like this that worry me.

Where is this large ball pass thing that was going to be touring the country? I assume it is part of the Trophy Tour - but it was launched with a bit of noise, and then never mentioned again.

4 - TV rights - we are 4 months off the start of the comp - all rights should now be confirmed, certainly in the major League playing nations. It's all well and good sorting out twitter accounts etc. but the real nitty gritty of sponsors and broadcast partners are the real meat and bones of a tournament like this.

On the flip side, there are plenty of things that have been done well so I don't want to be too harsh, but a lot of the good work will be undone if ultimately the grounds are less than half full and no sponsors or major broadcast partners are in place.

I tend to agree with all of that  - especially regarding TV rights ! When are they going to be announced for Oz, for XXXX's sake?!

The 2008 RLWC managed to get TV coverage in a LOT of countries around the world, though I suspect it was given away for free in most places by the RLIF.

#569 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

And just on point 1, other than the Lincoln World Cup in 2000, when have we ever had a sponsor for the tournament? Do Football and Union have a title sponsor for their comps? A title sponsor takes away a bit of prestige in my opinion, although official partners sure, lets get as many as possible on board!

I messaged the RLWC twitter account yesterday and got no response. I don't have contact details for Tom, and nor should I be expected to.

On your second point, I never mentioned title sponsor.

#570 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Re ticket sales, for 2008 RLWC we were getting regular updates on ticket sales on another Oz-based RL forum, and pre-sales seemed to be excellent, but I remember when the event actually came around, many games had quite disappointing (but still not too bad) crowds.

The final, of course, was a sell-out - and a great match !

#571 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

What's his role with RLWC 2013?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#572 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

He deals with spam emails

Whoa only kidding

#573 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

What's his role with RLWC 2013?

He is the Communications & PR Exec the RLWC2013 team.

Nice bloke too!

Posted Image

#574 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

Cor blimey, doesn't sound good … do u have a link for that ???

And why the delay ???

Just in case you didn't see the other thread with the link to the article, here it is:-

http://www.totalrl.c...s-strengths-r94

#575 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Agree with your sentiments on title sponsors, but just to clarify, the 1995 WC was sponsored by Halifax BS, and the 1992 Final was sponsored by Stones Bitter. Even going back as far as 1970, the tournament was sponsored by Vehicle & General Insurance, with the V&G trophy as the prize.

#576 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Agree with your sentiments on title sponsors, but just to clarify, the 1995 WC was sponsored by Halifax BS, and the 1992 Final was sponsored by Stones Bitter. Even going back as far as 1970, the tournament was sponsored by Vehicle & General Insurance, with the V&G trophy as the prize.

Well every day is a school day!

Posted Image

#577 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

nz320x240_zps070fbfd5.jpg

Now over 8000 for Avignon!
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#578 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Great news! It's looking like a sell-out could well be on the cards.

#579 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

I know it's anecdotal but in a turn up for the books it turns out my scouse boss is actually from Warrington - free travel and accommodation for the final! To quote him "I don't even like rugby league but I'm taking a whole bunch of people along cuz it's an event". He's going to the opening ceremony as well for the same reasons. Result!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#580 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Got my ticket! Great atmosphere there last time, which I think was when Jack Read made his debut for England?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users