Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#581 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Imagine if SBW plays

#582 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

I know it's anecdotal but in a turn up for the books it turns out my scouse boss is actually from Warrington - free travel and accommodation for the final! To quote him "I don't even like rugby league but I'm taking a whole bunch of people along cuz it's an event". He's going to the opening ceremony as well for the same reasons. Result!

Just to be clear, if he's from Warrington he's not a Scouser. Or, if he's a Scouser, he's not really from Warrington.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#583 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Imagine if SBW plays

In reference to the France v New Zealand game or just in general? I'm not really keeping a close eye on things but I thought Samoa was his current rep team of choice?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#584 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Just to be clear, if he's from Warrington he's not a Scouser. Or, if he's a Scouser, he's not really from Warrington.

You're all the same to me.

rldfsignature.jpg

#585 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

his family are from Liverpool but he is aware that he is a wooly back or whatever it's just that these finer points mean ###### all in South Wales. Sorry about that
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#586 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

it's just that these finer points mean ###### all in South Wales. Sorry about that

Or the rest of the country come to that. :hi:

rldfsignature.jpg

#587 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Has there been much actual promotion in WALES for the double header opener?

I live in Cardiff and I've seen nothing. I hope by the start of October at the latest a few billboards or bus ads will be about.

#588 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Went along to my local, the Junction in Otley, ready to put 6 names down for their fun bus trip to Old Trafford, but too late, it filled up within the week

Looks like Id better get some tickets pronto...

#589 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Like a previous post of mine the opening ceromeny in Cardiff is huge for this tournement n it's sad to hear there's been no promotion in the city. This isn't a bashing by all means but the orginisers of the tournement hav to put a massive effort and emphasis on selling the opening game out and build the game up as a massive event because this game will b the catalyst of the rest of the tournement. games at the likes of Avignon, in hull ect will be decent crowds anyway but we've got 3 massive events the opener, semis and final with the final looking at been a sell out the opener is now got to b priority of promotion, marketing any giveaways ect to get this tournement of to great start and you won't need to worry about the other games as the momentum from the opener will carry right through the tournement.
hopefully Sally Bolton and the team are reading this haha

#590 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

In reference to the France v New Zealand game or just in general? I'm not really keeping a close eye on things but I thought Samoa was his current rep team of choice?

No. The Samoa thing was just one of his mates who wanted SBW to play alonside him for Samoa. More wishful thinking than fact I suspect. SBW actually made himself available for NZ for the Anzac test, but unfortunately the Roosters decided that he needed a week off after aggrevating a knee injury. Oddly enough, he played for the Roosters in the week before and the week after the Anzac test. Strange how many Kiwis develop injuries when there's a test match in the offing...

Latest rumour is that he's going to postpone his off season boxing commitments to play for the Kiwis in the World Cup. Whatever people may think of that, I hope he does play as he's playing really well for the Roosters.

#591 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

No. The Samoa thing was just one of his mates who wanted SBW to play alonside him for Samoa. More wishful thinking than fact I suspect. SBW actually made himself available for NZ for the Anzac test, but unfortunately the Roosters decided that he needed a week off after aggrevating a knee injury. Oddly enough, he played for the Roosters in the week before and the week after the Anzac test. Strange how many Kiwis develop injuries when there's a test match in the offing...

Latest rumour is that he's going to postpone his off season boxing commitments to play for the Kiwis in the World Cup. Whatever people may think of that, I hope he does play as he's playing really well for the Roosters.

Rock n roll. Ta for clearing it up. Doesn't matter who he plays for, each Burgess will sit him on his ###### this time!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#592 emigrated roughyed

emigrated roughyed
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

How good is this all matches to be shown live on 7mate in Australia, they will probably show Aus matches on its main channel.

http://au.sports.yah...world-cup-2013/

#593 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

Well why people debate over how good IMG's deal in the UK was, they've done a good job in Australia, with Channel 7 winning the rights for the tournament.

Just to give some context, Channel 7 is currently the top rating network in Australia, and it's digital channel, 7mate is the top rating secondary channel often beating the likes of 10 and ABC (primary TV channels).  Whilst not explicitly mentioned in the article Kangaroos Tests and the World Cup final will be shown on their primary channel as well as per the anti-siphoning laws.

Anyway in terms of public access this is the best any sporting World Cup has received in this country with all other sporting World Cups (previous RL + RU, Cricket, Soccer, etc) shared between FTA and PayTV.

The Seven Network is the home of Rugby League World Cup 2013.

http://au.sports.yah...world-cup-2013/

Seven has secured exclusive broadcast rights to the 2013 Rugby League World Cup following an agreement with IMG Media.

Seven will broadcast all RLWC2013 matches - which runs from October 26th- November 30th - live on 7mate as part of an all-encompassing agreement covering broadcast and subscription television rights, IPTV, interconnected TV, catch-up TV, HbbTV, pay per view, video on demand and digital rights, including online and mobile.

RLWC2013 - which is organised by the Rugby League International Federation - will be the fourteenth staging of the Rugby League World Cup tournament and will be hosted by England and Wales with matches also to be held in France and Ireland.

Fourteen teams will contest the tournament: Australia, England, New Zealand, Samoa, Wales, Fiji, France, Papua New Guinea, Ireland, Scotland, Tonga, Cook Islands, Italy and the United States. New Zealand is the defending champion, having defeated Australia in the 2008 Rugby League World Cup final. It is Italy and the United States' first Rugby League World Cup.

Today’s agreement adds further depth to Seven’s leadership in sports television.

“Seven is delighted to have secured this agreement that will see us as the home of rugby league and the Rugby League World Cup 2013 across October and November," Tim Worner, CEO of Seven West Media, said.

“It is an extraordinary event and fits perfectly with our portfolio of major sports event that we can drive across our broadcast television platform and our emerging and developing online and mobile content platforms. A key to this agreement is our ability to deliver this amazing event across multiple platforms in formats that meet the demands of our audiences. This approach is a cornerstone for our future development as a broad-based audience company.

“Live events define our business and we are delighted that rugby league will be on Seven’s broadcast platform. We are investing in and building our three channels and 7mate is key to our development, in particular its increasing presence in live sports television and extending its leadership in key male demographics.

“It is also fitting that we are entrusted with the Rugby League World Cup 2013 – it is 50 years this year since the late, great Rex Mossop joined Seven after an extraordinary playing career in league and union, and through his commentary and passion, defined league television coverage in Australia.”

“It is great news for the tournament that Seven will be showing every game and on so many platforms. Sports fans in Australia know they can rely on Seven’s experience of covering not just domestic and international Rugby League but other world class sporting events too," Nigel Wood, RLWC2013 Tournament Director, said.

“We know we’ll be staging the best Rugby League World Cup to date, with competitive matches in front of passionate fans. The tournament now has a compelling broadcast offer in both hemispheres.”

Posted Image

#594 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,108 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

Seems a good result? ?

#595 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

Really positive read, Channel 7's comments on winning are so positive  B)

It seems the usual suspects Sky & Ch 9 have missed a fantastic opportunity to me. I for one won't miss Eddie & Stevo.

I'm reading that Fox will be showing many games in Aus, and we have the BBC showing all the England ones (is that right still? Maybe they'll pick up more yet)

Lets hope the sponsors all come on board now

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#596 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

I'm surprised to see 7 broadcasting all of the WC games. Usually Aussie TV companies tend to concentrate solely on the Kangaroos and a couple of the other big games

rldfsignature.jpg

#597 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

"in terms of public access this is the best any sporting World Cup has received in this country" 

Love reading that Yakstorm

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#598 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

That sounds positive - is 7mate a crappy little channel though?

#599 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

That sounds positive - is 7mate a crappy little channel though?

Apparently a crappy little digital channel.

#600 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Really positive read, Channel 7's comments on winning are so positive B)

It seems the usual suspects Sky & Ch 9 have missed a fantastic opportunity to me. I for one won't miss Eddie & Stevo.

I'm reading that Fox will be showing many games in Aus, and we have the BBC showing all the England ones (is that right still? Maybe they'll pick up more yet)

Lets hope the sponsors all come on board now

will Fox be showing games in Oz? Thought this was an exclusive deal for 7.

The BBC have already confirmed they'll show Wales v Italy at Cardiff so fingers crossed for more.