Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#601 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Apparently a crappy little digital channel.

just read the other thread and the suggestion is that its a decent secondary channel, but ultimately again we have rights to what should be our premier comp being sold to non-prime channels.

#602 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Apparently a crappy little digital channel.

That 7 also show other minor sports like AFL, Wimbledon, US Open, Australian Open on... it's not as secondary as people are saying... and it has far more reach than Pay TV in this country...

Posted Image

#603 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

That 7 also show other minor sports like AFL, Wimbledon, US Open, Australian Open on... it's not as secondary as people are saying... and it has far more reach than Pay TV in this country...

I think 7mate is a bit like ITV4 - free to air, and with a lot of sports content. Good news for the Aussies though as all the games will be on free to air TV. If Channel 9 had got the rights, they would've only shown the Australia games and then most likely on delay.

#604 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Exactly, deluded pom. It's a real win for fans in Australia.

I think it's great news and will be interested in seeing who 7 recruit to commentate the games.

Also, 7mate is easily my favourite secondary channel already.

#605 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Only seen one World Cup game in my life, Australia vs Russia at the Boulevard. Not many tries in that game!
Posted Image

#606 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Good news about the TV deal down under. It would be great now if there were a few other deals elsewhere in the Middle East and North America to show matches. I saw the SL play-offs in 2011 in Oman via their satellite network so I hope this can be sorted for the World Cup. The US would be a perfect market to 'entice' sponsors to get involved.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#607 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

If I read this correctly, Channel 7 will televise ALL 2013 RLWC matches on its digital free-to-air channel, 7mate ... if so, that is a FANTASTIC result – although I'd have preferred Channel Nine (or one of its digital channels) to televise it, as then the Ch 9 boys would be promoting it for the rest of the season ... the only downside of 7/7mate is that it may get a bit "lost" and lack a bit of promotion

But if someone can actually confirm that Channel 7 will 100% televise ALL 2013 RLWC matches on its digital free-to-air channel, 7mate, that would be grand ...

And I wonder if Ch 7 paid any $$$ for this???

#608 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

More confirmation:

Seven to show World Cup comp in entirety

Every match at this year's Rugby League World Cup will be shown live on free-to-air television under a deal with the Seven Network.

In a move that will have a network other than Nine broadcast league for the first time in more than 20 years, the Rugby League International Federation has awarded the rights for the 14-nation tournament to Seven.

It is the first time the World Cup rights have been sold separately to the premiership, State of Origin and Test matches. Seven chief executive Tim Worner said the network had also secured the online and mobile rights.

Worner said the tournament would be broadcast on 7mate.

Advertisement

''It is an extraordinary event and fits perfectly with our portfolio of major sports events that we can drive across our broadcast television platform and our emerging and developing online and mobile content platforms,'' Worner said.

''Live events define our business and we are delighted that rugby league will be on Seven's broadcast platform. It is also fitting that we are entrusted with the Rugby League World Cup 2013 - it is 50 years this year since the late, great Rex Mossop joined Seven after an extraordinary playing career in league and union, and through his commentary and passion, defined league television coverage in Australia.''

Seven's league coverage is headed by Pat Molihan, and the network also employs NSW coach Laurie Daley and Maroons greats Shane Webcke and Trevor Gillmeister.

''It is great news for the tournament that Seven will be showing every game and on so many platforms,'' tournament director Nigel Wood said.

The tournament will feature more than 100 NRL players representing Australia, world champions New Zealand and a variety of other nations, including Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Italy and England. It is understood Fox Sports were interested only in Australia's matches against England, Fiji and Ireland, the quarter-final, the Wembley semi-final and the final. Nine chief executive David Gyngell said: ''We weren't interested because the time period they come in on means there is no money to be made.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2X2iWxRTI

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2X2iNTK00

#609 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

"Nine chief executive David Gyngell said: ''We weren't interested because the time period they come in on means there is no money to be made.'"

Well, sod you !!!!

#610 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Good news. Sounds like the equivalent of ITV2/3/4 in the UK: I'm sure we'd be delighted in the UK if that were the case.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#611 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Looking on Wikipedia, this appears to be an E4 type of channel here in the UK.

Does have some focus on sports, including AFL. I think if they do show some games on Seven then it could be a good deal, but there is no indication of that.

The depressing read is that, rather like over here, there seemed to be very little interest in broadcasting the comp fully.

#612 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Good news. Sounds like the equivalent of ITV2/3/4 in the UK: I'm sure we'd be delighted in the UK if that were the case.

We would over here as it would be a step up from our current coverage, as it is personally I think it is a step down for the Aussie TV market, but hey ho, at least every game is on I suppose.

#613 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I live in Cardiff and I've seen nothing. I hope by the start of October at the latest a few billboards or bus ads will be about.

That would be useful, yes !

#614 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

It's on free-to-air and they are showing EVERY game; that is a bloody good result.

I was bracing myself for Kangaroos games + the semis and final only on free-to-air .... hopefully the Kangaroos games will be on Seven's main channel ... that would increase promotion

Also, being on 7mate possibly means it will be on right around Australia, and not just NSW and Qld

#615 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Totally correct … it has FAR more reach than pay TV ... it's a good result for the RLWC !

#616 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Good news. Sounds like the equivalent of ITV2/3/4 in the UK.

As a Brit who now lives in Oz, I'd say that it's exactly like ITV having the UK rights - with most games being on ITV2/3/4.

Edited by faz'_nose, 23 June 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#617 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

We would over here as it would be a step up from our current coverage, as it is personally I think it is a step down for the Aussie TV market, but hey ho, at least every game is on I suppose.

Just to be clear, in parts of Australia the NRL and even Origin is shown on GEM, Nine's digital sister station. Also because of how Australia did its analogue switchover the sister stations are in HD while the main networks are only in SD so it can be seen as a step up.

#618 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

This definitely isn't a step down for Aussie TV. No international rugby league tournament has had this amount of FTA coverage for as long as I've known. This is very exciting news.

#619 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Great news. Looking forward to the seeing England lifting the WC with the Aussies stood in the background with faces like smacked bumms.

#620 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Great deal, pretty much everyone with a TV in Australia gets access to 7 and 7mate. I imagine they will play the big games on the main channel (Kangaroos games, semis & final). I would also hope they replay done if not all of the games at a more convenient timeslot
https://au.dryjuly.c...e/kabramudcrabs

Support myself & team Mudcrab during our Dry July 2013 challenge. Proceeds going to Cancer Support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users