Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#621 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

I hope 7 don't put Bruce McAvaney and Sandy Roberts as the commentators though
Posted Image

Posted Image

#622 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

The 2008 World Cup had some games on Channel 9. They treated in disgracefully, delayed coverage and were only interested in a couple of games so I am not upset to see them without it.

It is good for Aussie fans that all games will be FTA, but my one concern is that even the biggest games may be tucked away on a channel with a small market share (2-3%) - whilst the 2008 tournament may have had the majority of games on Fox with a very low available market share they did at least have some of the bigger events like the Opener, Aussie Semi and Final at least on Channel 9 at Prime Time.

If Seven Network announce that they will stage key games live on 7, then I will retract any kind of negative comment. They haven't done that and people shouldn't assume it will happen.

EDIT: Final point - the 2008 World Cup had games shown on a channel with 8 times the reach that 7mate has.

Edited by Dave T, 23 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#623 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

I hope 7 don't put Bruce McAvaney and Sandy Roberts as the commentators though

Surely it couldn't be worse than having to listen to Ray Warren and Phil Gould bickering about whether to have the commentary box window open or not - could it?

#624 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Surely it couldn't be worse than having to listen to Ray Warren and Phil Gould bickering about whether to have the commentary box window open or not - could it?

Clearly you've never heard Bruce reach orgasm over Cathy Freeman
Posted Image

Posted Image

#625 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

Kangaroos Test Matches and the RLWC final have to be shown on a primary channel as per anti-siphoning laws, so expect these to be syndicated on both channels.  

Posted Image

#626 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Kangaroos Test Matches and the RLWC final have to be shown on a primary channel as per anti-siphoning laws, so expect these to be syndicated on both channels.  

Just seen a discussion regarding this on some random thread and apparently it isn't that difficult to get an exemption for this.

It would have been nice if they had said they were showing the key games on Seven - the fact that they haven't makes me suspect they are not planning on doing so if they don't have to.

#627 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

This is not correct, Kangaroos matches including the RLWC are classified as 'Tier B' events on the anti-siphoning list, meaning that they must be on FTA networks but can be premiered on digital multi-channels (i.e. 7mate).

However, most Australians seem to think that this is a better than expected result regardless of whether or not the games are shown on the primary channel.

Edited by Evil Homer, 23 June 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#628 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

Good news about the TV deal down under. It would be great now if there were a few other deals elsewhere in the Middle East and North America to show matches. I saw the SL play-offs in 2011 in Oman via their satellite network so I hope this can be sorted for the World Cup. The US would be a perfect market to 'entice' sponsors to get involved.

Fox sports extra shows the NRL and SL and I watched the Exiles game on it the other week so I think Fox got some minor rights in this Tv deal and so could and hopefully will show some WC games,including the US games.

#629 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

The only downside I can see is that Ch9 commentators for the rest of the season will likely not promote the RLWC

if it had been on Ch9 or one of its digital offshoots, we'd have loads of promotion for the rest of the season, and on the Footy Show, Sunday Footy Show etc

Ch9 are stupied; they could have used the RLWC coverage to continually promote the 2014 NRL season, too

Very short-sighted ...

Steve Mascord has written this in today's SMH:

5. The game they play on Seven

Channel Seven’s signing of an agreement to cover the World Cup is tremendous news and follows a similar deal in Britain, where regular league broadcaster Sky Sports lost out to upstart Premier Sports in rights negotiations.  Rugby league has often lacked the confidence to share TV broadcasting rights around. International rugby league is essential for the sport to go to the next level commercially and, in the case of the broadcasters we already have, familiarity has bred contempt. You could argue it is in the interests of our domestic broadcasters for rugby league to remain a local, affordable commodity. They don’t care about international football and in that circumstance, we can either dance to their tune or go out and find someone who does care. Thankfully, we’ve done the latter. It could be a milestone decision.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2X5f4gpZ2

#630 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Trying not to make even more threads I've put this here

Gareth Widdop has a suspected broken hip - ambulance on way and doctors from both teams attending to him

Edited by amh, 24 June 2013 - 10:49 AM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#631 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Good news. Sounds like the equivalent of ITV2/3/4 in the UK: I'm sure we'd be delighted in the UK if that were the case.

Well I for one would be seeing as I have Virgin and can't even get premier sports.

It's time to park the camels.

#632 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well I for one would be seeing as I have Virgin and can't even get premier sports.

It's not a perfect solution, but you can get an online subscription and an HDMI cable.

#633 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Fox sports extra shows the NRL and SL and I watched the Exiles game on it the other week so I think Fox got some minor rights in this Tv deal and so could and hopefully will show some WC games,including the US games.

The RLWC rights were sold seperately to any other rights, so FSE showing the Exiles match will have no bearing on the WC

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#634 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

It's not a perfect solution, but you can get an online subscription and an HDMI cable.

Have a cable, would already be able to watch it online free somewhere in the dark depths.. How's the quality?

#635 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Have a cable, would already be able to watch it online free somewhere in the dark depths.. How's the quality?

Watched part of Thursday's Championship match on my laptop when the signal on TV went. Perfectly good. Have now realised that I've got a lot more flexibility where to watch Premier Sports and am not banished now to the back room TV that's got the Premier Sports subscription on.

#636 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Watched part of Thursday's Championship match on my laptop when the signal on TV went. Perfectly good. Have now realised that I've got a lot more flexibility where to watch Premier Sports and am not banished now to the back room TV that's got the Premier Sports subscription on.

Ahh, something to think about then! Thought I was gonna have to go round to the inlaws to watch it!

#637 Thegreatestgameofall

Thegreatestgameofall
  • Facebook
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

You can add two Aussies for the Opening game and an Aussie and two Irish for the Final for ticket sales.

• amh likes this

#638 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

The RLWC rights were sold seperately to any other rights, so FSE showing the Exiles match will have no bearing on the WC

I am just basing this on post #599 where the poster states that Fox will be showing some of the WC games. If this is correct then thet mar retransmit them on their US outlest as they have done with NRL and SL.

I understand that the World Cup TV rights have bben sold separately but if Fox have a minor piece of that then what i suggested may ensue. I hope so. the exposure to the US marketis needed for the nascent US game especially seeing as how RU is really taking off over there.

#639 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Great news. Looking forward to the seeing England lifting the WC with the Aussies stood in the background with faces like smacked bumms.

I'd prefer it even more if England are lifting the WC with the Kiwis stood in the background with faces like smacked bums.

rldfsignature.jpg

#640 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

I must say, unfortunately, having Gareth Widdop  out for the season  to me means the Poms' chances of winning the RLWC have dived big time: you have top forwards and good outside backs but your halves are ordinary  ( No 1 halfback pick is now a kiwi: Rangi Chase, who's ordinary!)

Sorry, i want the Poms to win, but Widdop injury is a huge loss ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users