League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#681 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

10,000 barrier reached for Avignon. Fantastic! Apparently only stands behind the posts available & all sponsors packages sold. Allez le Treize!

Excellent stuff from the French. It's looking like Avignon could well be the first 'sold out' venue.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#682 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,388 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Excellent stuff from the French. It's looking like Avignon could well be the first 'sold out' venue.

Yep - great news, they had some decent crowds in 2000 and decent games, yet they were not broadcast anywhere, fortunately we have Premier Sports this year!

#683 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yep - great news, they had some decent crowds in 2000 and decent games, yet they were not broadcast anywhere, fortunately we have Premier Sports this year!

Are Bein Sports showing the games in France?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#684 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Saw the games at Albi v South Africa around 5,000 from what I remember & at Carcassonne v Tonga which drew 10,000. Willie Mason played that day too & the Tricolours won. The statue of Puig Aubert was inaugurated that day. Not too many at Stade Charlety in Paris where France lost to PNG.They made the quarters in 2000 losing to NZ at Castleford. They've a bigger mountain to climb this year. They'll need to win one game & be competitive in the others to avoid missing out. Big ask.

Still haven't heard anything about French TV coverage. Bein Sport covered the European Nations last Autumn so you would assume be interested. Like to think they're talking to Zalduendo about a range of issues hopefully with Toulouse & SL as well as WC.

Edited by audois, 02 July 2013 - 10:22 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#685 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,388 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Saw the games at Albi v South Africa around 5,000 from what I remember & at Carcassonne v Tonga which drew 10,000. Willie Mason played that day too & the Tricolours won. The statue of Puig Aubert was inaugurated that day. Not too many at Stade Charlety in Paris where France lost to PNG.They made the quarters in 2000 losing to NZ at Castleford. They've a bigger mountain to climb this year. They'll need to win one game & be competitive in the others to avoid missing out. Big ask.

According to Wikipedia:

v PNG (Paris) - 7,498

v South Africa (Albi) - 7,969

v Tonga (Carcassonne) - 10,288

Compared to England's 5,736 against Russia and 10,052 against Fiji, and the Welsh crowds against Cook Island (5k) and Lebanon (1500) then the French crowds were very good.

Unfortunately we didn;t see any of this on our tv screens, we just saw the empty grey stadiums in Britain!

#686 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

According to Wikipedia:

v PNG (Paris) - 7,498

v South Africa (Albi) - 7,969

v Tonga (Carcassonne) - 10,288

Compared to England's 5,736 against Russia and 10,052 against Fiji, and the Welsh crowds against Cook Island (5k) and Lebanon (1500) then the French crowds were very good.

Unfortunately we didn;t see any of this on our tv screens, we just saw the empty grey stadiums in Britain!

They showed brief highlights of the French based games on the Sky World Cup Update programmes.

rldfsignature.jpg

#687 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,388 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

They showed brief highlights of the French based games on the Sky World Cup Update programmes.

Yeah, I think we may also have had brief BBC highlights, but no live games from France at all.

#688 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, I think we may also have had brief BBC highlights, but no live games from France at all.

I went to a sports bar in Sydney and saw the entire France v Tonga game on some obscure cable channel ... commentary in English ... IMHO, it was the best game of the 2000 RLWC !

#689 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

More Sydney Morning Herald coverage today (it gets a very good spread on an inside page) of the Women's RLWC, thanks to the ever-admirable Greg Inglis.

Women's World Cup bid gets boost from GI

When the women's match at this season's All Stars clash was bumped from the main curtain-raiser to the first game of the day, Greg Inglis led a protest by asking the players on to the field after full-time in the main event.

Now Inglis wants a women's match to be played before an NRL game in next season's Women in League round.

Inglis publicly raised the idea on Tuesday as he helped NRL chief executive Dave Smith farewell the Australian Jillaroos on their trip to the Women's World Cup in England.

''We have these breast cancer rounds and these Women in League rounds, but we really need to showcase the talent on the night and I would like to see the women perform before one of our matches,'' Inglis said.

Advertisement

A sign of how strongly the South Sydney star feels about the women's game is that he attended the function at Sydney Airport on his day off to offer support to the players for a second time within months.

After initially being listed as the main curtain-raiser to the NRL All Stars match at Suncorp Stadium in February, the women's game was demoted when officials decided the under-16s clash should be the penultimate fixture - a move that angered Inglis.

''I just felt that you do all this stuff in the NRL but then we don't do anything to embrace and promote their talent on the big stage,'' he said. ''It is the first game of the season for the NRL so there is no better way to do that than put them before the All Stars game instead of pushing them back to early in the day when there is only 20 people in the grandstand. I wasn't trying to shove it in the NRL's face but I just wanted them to be aware that I was here to support the girls no matter what and that is why I grabbed the girls after our game and took them out on to the field.''

Smith agreed more needs to be done to support the women's game but the players in the Jillaroos squad were appreciative that for the first time their trip to the World Cup was fully funded. ''The support that we have got from the NRL means that finances haven't come into it and this time we are able to take our best squad because girls haven't pulled out for those sort of reasons,'' Jillaroos captain Karyn Murphy said. ''The preparation has been great, we have had quite a few camps now and I am very confident.''

Vice-captain Tahnee Norris said New Zealand were the team to beat after winning all three previous World Cups but the Jillaroos' focus was on their opening match against England at Dewsbury on Friday. ''They are going to be tough because they are playing on home soil so we just need to concentrate on that and then we come up against the Kiwis about a week after that,'' Norris said.

Smith, who will attend the Jillaroos' second match against France at Featherstone next Monday, said women and girls had the fastest-growing participation rates in the game.

''I think it is a really important part of our game and we want to get the foundations right so that we have got pathways for women, for girls, for coaches, for referees - we want wider participation,'' he said.

''We want wider participation and we are very committed to that. Greg Inglis made the comment after talking to the other [NRL] players about how committed everybody is to making sure that our girls are a success, and to see our women go off and represent us in the World Cup and hopefully bring back the World Cup is phenomenally exciting.''

Meanwhile, Souths veteran Roy Asotasi has announced he will leave the NRL at season's end to join English club Warrington. The 31-year-old front-rower had signed a two-year deal with the Wolves from 2014, Souths said on Tuesday.

Asotasi has played 206 first-grade games since making his NRL debut in 2002 - 122 for South Sydney. Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson said Asotasi kick-started the club's ''revolution'' when he arrived in 2007.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2XwNjEbE8

#690 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

And better news re Gareth Widdop:

Widdop in push for World Cup berth

Stricken five-eighth Gareth Widdop has told England coach Steve McNamara he is a genuine hope of playing in the World Cup - and finishing the NRL season with Melbourne Storm.

Brett Finch has again been named as Widdop's replacement in the side to play Brisbane on Friday at AAMI Park, after the Englishman dislocated his hip nine days ago.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy on Tuesday described last Saturday's 22-4 loss to Wests Tigers as their worst performance of the season and as being full of "very poor signs".

Last year the Storm lost five matches in a row during the state-of-origin series; it has now dropped two on the trot.

Advertisement

But while Widdop is expected to miss the rest of the campaign before joining St George Illawarra next year, McNamara told Fairfax Media: "He's a chance and he's a in a real positive frame of mind."

Asked if Widdop would play without any club games between now and the tournament kick-off, McNamara said: "We'd have to really look at that. That would be difficult, but never say never.

"He thinks he's a chance of being back to play some games before the end of the year and if that happens, he's a great chance."

Captain Cameron Smith is back from an eye injury while seven players have been bracketed on the bench against the Broncos.

Storm: Slater, Waqa, Chambers, Blair, O'Neill; Finch, Cronk; Hinchcliffe, Proctor, Hoffman, Norrie, Smith ©, Bromwich. Res: McLean, Harris, Vave, Griffin, Moors, Glasby, Hampton (three to be omitted).

Broncos: Norman; Hoffman, Hodges, Reed, Maranta; Prince, Wallace; Parker, Gillett, Glen, McGuire, McCullough, Thaiday. Res: Hunt, Hala, Dodds, Lui.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2XwOc9aeJ

#691 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

Perhaps not fully O/T but preparations at my school in Wales for the RLWC are well underway with a full term of RLWC activities for the entire Year 7 with a particular focus on literacy and lumeracy.

Using the education resources provided by RLWC as an outline, the member of staff in charge of the Year 7 CORE Curriculum has spent the last month updating and improving them to produce an entire unit of work for the pupils that is all about the RLWC.

Well done that man !

#692 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Forgot to attach pic !

#693 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,898 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

capacity ls about 17,000 I think. Met Audois there once, about 10 years ago,  IIRC, when Dennis Betts was in charge of Ingerland.

#694 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

So, with 114 days to go, any ticket sales updates?

Or, even better, any RLWC general promotions out there?

#695 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

capacity ls about 17,000 I think. Met Audois there once, about 10 years ago,  IIRC, when Dennis Betts was in charge of Ingerland.

John was that the trip when you where contemplating riding up Mount Ventoux! Low key affair that afternoon. Did Danny McGuire score four tries? See the Tour returns to MV this year too.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#696 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Four more bays open at Huddersfield in the Britannia Rescue Stand. They haven't coloured out the boxes yet though.

I think all the lower tiers are open at Wrexham for the first game there too... However, you seem to be able to get tickets in the upper tiers (not coloured) but not the lower tiers (coloured). Wondering if that is a mistake?!

Edited by GeordieSaint, 03 July 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#697 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

John was that the trip when you where contemplating riding up Mount Ventoux! Low key affair that afternoon. Did Danny McGuire score four tries? See the Tour returns to MV this year too.

Totally O/T, but my girlfriend and I rode up Mt Ventoux in 2011 on a windless June day. Tres fantastique!

Edited by Jim from Oz, 04 July 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#698 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

At Perpignan, Tribune Bonzoms is about 50% allocated, whilst both Tribune Quest & Tribune Guasch-Labodre are about 30% allocated.  

Limerick is now at around 2,300 seats allocated.  

Posted Image

#699 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

I noted that 909 had a phone-in the other morning about the selection for the final Lions test. I just hope the said station is happy to hold on come September/October on who should start at stand-off for England but I won't hold my breath. If I can get a job sorted and have some money coming in, I'll try and get to at least one game in England as it's just as convenient as going down to Limerick.

#700 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

It's my birthday on Tuesday. I've basically just given a list of matches and said that any number of tickets for these is fine.

After that, I'll book the rest of them myself

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users