League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#61 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

I called the RFL a few days ago to buy an Xmas present for the old man. I asked what hospitality packages for the world cup final they had available as I wanted to make it a little bit special (something like club wembley.) All I was told was that they'd have to ask Paul when he got in after the holidays as no one knew.

Less than a year out and things like that aren't even organised, an utter shambles but why should I be surprised with the muppets at the top running the game into the ground. The rah rah are already promoting their World Cup in 2015, do you think that less than a year out they wouldn't have the corporate side organised? That is the difference between the two sports. I pray for a successful World Cup but I'm also a realist.

#62 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

France isn't on sale yet which is surprising, but that said the two French games will possibly be two of the easier games to sell in the whole tournament.

http://ffr13.billett...spx?wId=FFRXIII

rldfsignature.jpg

#63 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

I called the RFL a few days ago to buy an Xmas present for the old man. I asked what hospitality packages for the world cup final they had available as I wanted to make it a little bit special (something like club wembley.) All I was told was that they'd have to ask Paul when he got in after the holidays as no one knew.

Less than a year out and things like that aren't even organised, an utter shambles but why should I be surprised with the muppets at the top running the game into the ground. The rah rah are already promoting their World Cup in 2015, do you think that less than a year out they wouldn't have the corporate side organised? That is the difference between the two sports. I pray for a successful World Cup but I'm also a realist.

Yep - I must admit this is my big frustration so far with this tournament. There have been so many positives, but there are still some basics that are not quite there yet.
I've put my name down for hospitality, but at the moment I am buying tickets for games, so tbh they could quite easily be losing money from me.

#64 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,079 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'll bow to others knowledge in the corporate area but in Dec 1999, to have sold so many tickets and as much promotion for the 2000 WC, would have seemed like dreamland.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#65 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Going from completly inept to slightly inept shouldn't be the bench mark we expect from people our sport pays huge salaries too. By now even the RFL should realise that sport is a business, the fans no matter how fickle are also the most loyal and will always come no matter what.

#66 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Looking at the website it would apperar that the area on sale is very restricted

https://www.eticketi...px?itemref=9325

Still I got my ticket for the final as the offer of a free RLWC beanie was too much to resist and along with my Stobart Super League Model truck getting this before Xmas provoked Gangnam style celebrations in the Rooster household.

That said it's the only tickets I have got so far, I will go to the game at Bristol between the USA and the Cook Islands which should be an even championship style encounter and will be buying a Wembley ticket for when the serious stuff starts at Semi-Final stage.

And that's one of two main problems for the RLWC.

Firstly all games involving the "big 3" nations prior to the semi-finals are basically placing games where the result is not in serous doubt and as our Irish poster in this thread has pointed out a clobbering from the Kangaroos for the Irish XIII at Thomond Park will not be getting too many munstermen and women hooked on the game.

The second point being , I suppose we are all waiting for the freebies, Perhaps a signed Kevin Sinfield England shirt for anyone attending New Zealand v PNG at Headingley or maybe just waiting for the £ 5 a ticket final offer in The Manchester Evening News as in 2000. One reason why Union WC tickets go faster than league is that perhaps unlike league the fan base has not been conditioned to expect something for nothing.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#67 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

The second point being , I suppose we are all waiting for the freebies, Perhaps a signed Kevin Sinfield England shirt for anyone attending New Zealand v PNG at Headingley or maybe just waiting for the £ 5 a ticket final offer in The Manchester Evening News as in 2000. One reason why Union WC tickets go faster than league is that perhaps unlike league the fan base has not been conditioned to expect something for nothing.

Or that their fanbase does not largely comprise of insular, negative moaning idiots who are more excited about the possibility of failure and an opportunity to put the sport down rather than supporting a major event.

#68 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Bought four tickets for the final on the 21st Dec and was told they would arrive at least one week before the final - I hope so !!

#69 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Here's a good idea: why don't they release the kick-off times??

I've bought tickets for (iirc) 4 matches. But I can't buy any tickets for midweek matches, or Sunday matches, or matches in Northern England because they haven't released the damn times.

Some people will be looking at train times, hotels, work times etc so even though the RFL have clearly improved I think the fact that there are no times out is a little bit shambolic.

#70 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

I've bought tickets for (iirc) 4 matches. But I can't buy any tickets for midweek matches, or Sunday matches, or matches in Northern England because they haven't released the damn times.

Some people will be looking at train times, hotels, work times etc so even though the RFL have clearly improved I think the fact that there are no times out is a little bit shambolic.

Or the fact that they don't want to announce a bunch of times only to have to change them when the broadcast deal is finalized.

#71 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

Decent bet that midweek games will be evening kick offs mate.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#72 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Decent bet that midweek games will be evening kick offs mate.

Aye, I'm working on the assumption of 20:00 for midweek matches
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#73 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Just spoken to Chris in the RLWC2013 office and he says they're hoping for them to be sorted by the end of January, a TV deal must be imminent...
Posted Image

#74 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I am really excited about this - got 2 tickets for the opening ceremony, semi's and final for Christmas. Plan on going to at least another 4/5 games, including Bristol.

Funny thing though, when I've asked non Rugby following mates/family if they want to go with me, as soon as they hear it is a 'World Cup' game, they are interested. They don't give two figs about P&R, the RFL or RL in general, they just want to go to an 'event'.

Each and everyone has said "£20 - that's bloody cheap". I swear it's only (hopefully only a vocal minority) of RL Fans who would bemoan an event like this and complain about ticket prices. With the reaction I've had about the WC, I would be surprised if there are many empty seats - and there is still 9 months to go.

Bring it on!

#75 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Spot on Gruff, this is RL's big opportunity to introduce itself to a sports mad British public which is largely ignorant of the game. The olympics show that people will turn out in large numbers to watch sports they are unfamiliar with, in order to be part of an event. If most fans of RL buy a ticket for at least a couple of games and take some friends with them, that will go a long way towards creating the major event atmosphere. All RL clubs stand to benefit from having a greater potential fan base and from having youngsters who could become inspired to be the next Sam Tomkins or Ryan Hall.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#76 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

We tried to book six seating tickets for the match at Bristol and all sit together but we cannot even get three sets of two seats together such is the demand so we have opted to stand and watch the game for a change !

#77 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,581 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

We tried to book six seating tickets for the match at Bristol and all sit together but we cannot even get three sets of two seats together such is the demand so we have opted to stand and watch the game for a change !

Wow! That's very promising indeed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#78 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

The last couple of comments have been great and is exactly the attitude the RL community needs to adopt to create an inviting atmosphere for non RL fans to attend the event.

I would just like to mention one thing in regards to advertisment coming from Cardiff there isn't a thing about the city welcoming a world cup event this year around the place. Although it is early in the year i was disapointed not to see any mention of this tournament around the stadium or around the city centre during the rugby union autumn internationals and the RFL would be insane not to capaitalise on the six nations event.

The RFL needs to work with the Welsh Rugby Union, Council and Millenium Staduim to get advertisment around the city and millenium stadium during the rugby union six nations. The adverts for this world class tournament would be seen by 75,000 people on 3 occasions inside the stadium and the thousands upon thousands of people within the city centre during this time.

The RFL needs to target this event and the thousands of rugby fans and members of the public out and about during this period, if you advertise well in Cardiff for such an event you will get the crowds I promise, but i suspect the RFL will miss the oppurtunity again.

For example the annual Speedway event at the millenuim stadium is advertised throughout the city well and people start talking about it and what happens they get a crowd of 50,000 for speedway Il say it again Speedway...

RFL pull your socks up if you do the Millenium Stadium will be sold out :D

#79 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

I don't know if there is something wrong with the website or demand is massive, but you cannot even buy single adult tickets for Cat 1 and Cat 2 for this match - only for Cat 3. Have they been released??

#80 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

The last couple of comments have been great and is exactly the attitude the RL community needs to adopt to create an inviting atmosphere for non RL fans to attend the event.

I would just like to mention one thing in regards to advertisment coming from Cardiff there isn't a thing about the city welcoming a world cup event this year around the place. Although it is early in the year i was disapointed not to see any mention of this tournament around the stadium or around the city centre during the rugby union autumn internationals and the RFL would be insane not to capaitalise on the six nations event.

The RFL needs to work with the Welsh Rugby Union, Council and Millenium Staduim to get advertisment around the city and millenium stadium during the rugby union six nations. The adverts for this world class tournament would be seen by 75,000 people on 3 occasions inside the stadium and the thousands upon thousands of people within the city centre during this time.

The RFL needs to target this event and the thousands of rugby fans and members of the public out and about during this period, if you advertise well in Cardiff for such an event you will get the crowds I promise, but i suspect the RFL will miss the oppurtunity again.

For example the annual Speedway event at the millenuim stadium is advertised throughout the city well and people start talking about it and what happens they get a crowd of 50,000 for speedway Il say it again Speedway...

RFL pull your socks up if you do the Millenium Stadium will be sold out :D

TBF to the RFL - they have advertised Magic Weekend for the last few years at the grounds that the games are to be played at. I remember seeing animated ads at Murrayfield during the 6N, and also at Man City last year during the Manchester derby.

I agree that Cardiff needs to be pushed really hard, but then all signs so far are that the WC organisers are doing a good job, and I'm sure they have plans in place to target Cardiff at the right time for the right price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users