Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#781 Mr Frisky

Mr Frisky
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

It was actually Whitehaven and Copeland council who put the original Cumbrian bid in but the new stadium fell through, Town and Allerdale council stepped in - spent £450K on the ground and took the games to Workington.

Would have been a crime to have a UK world cup and not have any games in Cumbria

#782 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

It was actually Whitehaven and Copeland council who put the original Cumbrian bid in but the new stadium fell through, Town and Allerdale council stepped in - spent £450K on the ground and took the games to Workington.

Would have been a crime to have a UK world cup and not have any games in Cumbria

So hosting a couple of Scotland games there in the World Cup helped secure £450k worth of investment in a RL ground? Doesn't sound too bad to me.

#783 Mr Frisky

Mr Frisky
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Correct - everyone's a winner................ apart from the Jam eaters of Haven.................

#784 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

facebook-timeli.jpg

World Cup Family Stand tickets almost gone

Rugby League World Cup organisers in Neath are delighted to announce that the Family Stand at The Gnoll has virtually sold out for the Wales v Cook Islands match on Sunday 11th November (kick-off 2pm).

Just 22 tickets remain for this stand, the cheapest price bracket in regards to seating, but they are no longer available from the Rugby League World Cup website. These can only be bought from the official Neath RFC and South Wales Scorpions websites.

This news comes less than two weeks before the actual World Cup trophy arrives in Neath as part of the UK-wide trophy tour.

The Family Stand tickets have been snapped up mainly by school parties following a surge of interest as news of the trophy coming to The Gnoll escalates.

Phil Davies, chairman of South Wales Scorpions and Neath RFC, said: “We’re delighted that the Family Stand for Wales v Cooks Islands is close to selling out. It shows that popularity for the World Cup in Neath is increasing, especially amongst schools.

“As a result of this, sales in other areas are also increasing, The Town End ‘shed’ terrace behind the goal is going well and there are just 415 tickets available in the Grandstand.

“We are confident that we will have a sell out before the day of the match and we advise all fans to buy their tickets sooner rather than later.

“In the meantime, if you want to have your photo taken with the actual World Cup trophy, please turn up at The Gnoll on Sunday 28th July for South Wales Scorpions’ match against Gateshead Thunder which kicks off at the earlier time of 1pm. We’re expecting a big interest so you can book your photographs for free on our website www.scorpionsrl.com.”

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 July 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#785 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

facebook-timeli.jpg

World Cup Family Stand tickets almost gone

Rugby League World Cup organisers in Neath are delighted to announce that the Family Stand at The Gnoll has virtually sold out for the Wales v Cook Islands match on Sunday 11th November (kick-off 2pm).

Just 22 tickets remain for this stand, the cheapest price bracket in regards to seating, but they are no longer available from the Rugby League World Cup website. These can only be bought from the official Neath RFC and South Wales Scorpions websites.
This news comes less than two weeks before the actual World Cup trophy arrives in Neath as part of the UK-wide trophy tour.
The Family Stand tickets have been snapped up mainly by school parties following a surge of interest as news of the trophy coming to The Gnoll escalates.
Phil Davies, chairman of South Wales Scorpions and Neath RFC, said: “We’re delighted that the Family Stand for Wales v Cooks Islands is close to selling out. It shows that popularity for the World Cup in Neath is increasing, especially amongst schools.
“As a result of this, sales in other areas are also increasing, The Town End ‘shed’ terrace behind the goal is going well and there are just 415 tickets available in the Grandstand.
“We are confident that we will have a sell out before the day of the match and we advise all fans to buy their tickets sooner rather than later.
“In the meantime, if you want to have your photo taken with the actual World Cup trophy, please turn up at The Gnoll on Sunday 28th July for South Wales Scorpions’ match against Gateshead Thunder which kicks off at the earlier time of 1pm. We’re expecting a big interest so you can book your photographs for free on our website www.scorpionsrl.com.”

I know the main stand at Neath sits around 2000 and the family stand 1000.

So 1,585 + 1,000 + 200 (random guess for terraced standing tickets bought) = 2,785 sold for Neath. I think the capacity is 5-7k. Would personally love to see the place packed to the rafters.

#786 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

One of the few matches I can't get to this. Am going to Tonga v Italy at Halifax instead. Am expecting they will have the Wales game on the big screen at the Shay.

#787 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Games bought so far;

Opener - taking 3 novices/non regulars with me

Bristol - taking Father in Law

Semi  - taking Bruv, Sis, and Father, who are all twickers regulars so keep trying to convert them

Final - Taking a mate

Games to buy;

Eng vs Ireland - Huddersfield - 2 of us

Tonga vs Italy ( i think that's who's playing) at the shay - 2 of us

QF - will wait to see who is playing where - will know after opening games really

Maybe one other - thinking one at Salford.

Might go to the England Italy game at Salford as well

#788 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Games bought so far;

Opener - taking 3 novices/non regulars with me

Bristol - taking Father in Law

Semi  - taking Bruv, Sis, and Father, who are all twickers regulars so keep trying to convert them

Final - Taking a mate

Games to buy;

Eng vs Ireland - Huddersfield - 2 of us

Tonga vs Italy ( i think that's who's playing) at the shay - 2 of us

QF - will wait to see who is playing where - will know after opening games really

Maybe one other - thinking one at Salford.

Might go to the England Italy game at Salford as well

Just bought tickets to the Hudds and Halifax games.

£35 for 4 of the best available tickets.

Ridiculously cheap - a bit too cheap....

#789 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Allerdale and Copeland both originally put in the bid to stage World Cup games in West Cumbria.
As the (now defunct) Pow Beck stadium proposal came along then it was decided that Pow Beck would stage the games and Allerdale would host the teams.
Pow Beck developed further as an idea only then Copeland and Whitehaven started to want the World Cup solely in their region i.e getting greedy.

Then Pow Beck became dead in the water and Workington stepped in to offer Derwent Park. Things had to move quick to secure the games in West Cumbria, and the Energy Coast offered £400k to upgrade Derwent Park and Allerdale Council chipped in £50k. Not a huge amount but its spruced up the ground and the 10k capacity is possible once again. It has resulted in slightly fewer grandstand seats though - these are sold out.

In hindsight Pow Beck stadium wouldn't have been big enough as ticket sales are going well - so it was good for Town that Copeland Council, Haven and the Miners completely stuffed up Pow Beck through their incompetence. PB was due to have around 3,200 permanent capacity with temporary seating to take it up to approx 5k or so.

No doubt wise old sage Keith T will correct anything here, but thats the background.

#790 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Get yourself along pal, I promise you won't be disappointed!

My point was though, being someone who,s been too 800+ matches why have Internationals not appealed to me?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#791 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

My point was though, being someone who,s been too 800+ matches why have Internationals not appealed to me?

They don't appeal to most rugby league fans. Most of whom don't care about anything other than their local team.

It's a curious problem for our sport.

#792 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

They don't appeal to most rugby league fans. Most of whom don't care about anything other than their local team.

I was at Elland Road for the last four nations final and I can assure you that the level of support and passion for the England team was terrific. Once again though the play on the field disappointed.

#793 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

But I have been to a whole host of random games not involving my side and worked volutarily at another!!!

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#794 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Only you can answer that.

Posted Image

#795 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

So with around the grounds:

• Avignon, both grandstands are now sold out (Tribune Baranka & Tribune Jean Rey), with only behind the goals still available.
  • In Perpignan around a third of the venue is now sold. 
  • In Limerick 2,289 seats have been sold. With GA's we would be looking at around 2,500+ for this game now.
  • As mentioned before Neath is around half sold.
  • Huddersfield - The remaining bays in the Britannia stand are now on sale (just not coloured in

Posted Image

#796 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

So with around the grounds:

• Avignon, both grandstands are now sold out (Tribune Baranka & Tribune Jean Rey), with only behind the goals still available.
  • In Perpignan around a third of the venue is now sold. 
  • In Limerick 2,289 seats have been sold. With GA's we would be looking at around 2,500+ for this game now.
  • As mentioned before Neath is around half sold.
  • Huddersfield - The remaining bays in the Britannia stand are now on sale (just not coloured in

Whilst Limericks sales are promising, I do fear that Thomond Park is big enough to drown it out. Isn't the capacity 26,000?

I hope sales go upto around 8-10k for this game.

#797 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

The RLWC is being co-hosted by Wales and England, yet there are 2 games in France and 1 in Ireland. I am all for those games in these countries but should 1 of the Scotland games in Workington have taken place in Scotland (scotstoun or Firhill)? For this reason plus i don't beleive 1 venue should hold more than 1 group game, which also means that 1 of the Craven games (i beleive) should have been held at the Keepmoat

The organisers did the right thing this time by inviting applications from those parties interested in staging games, ie, clubs, local authorities, stadium companies. Scotland is, at this time, a small and relatively poor rugby league community. While local authorities and the public sector as a whole have been supportive of the game here, there just isn't the awareness of the sport, nor the financial backing, that would justify taking a game from a rugby-mad area like West Cumberland just to play it in front of a small, albeit enthusiastic, crowd at Scotstoun. And I think everyone concerned would rather have any help/backing/support from outside bodies directed at the coal-face of the sport in Scotland: schools, youth and genuine grassroots development.

This world cup belongs to the hosts of the tournament - England and Wales - and I can think of no finer and more appropriate venue than Workington, especially as they stepped in when problems arose. Especially when the RL communities and personalities in that part of the world helped establish the game north of the border in its early days.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#798 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

It seems from this that Scotland will play PNG in a World Cup warm up game.

http://www.rugbyleag...3-rlwc-schedule

Can anyone confirm this?

From what I've heard from a spokesman from the Scottish RL, this is on the cards but cannot be confirmed yet. Watch this space!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#799 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Anyone got an idea of any decent hotel rooms available in or near Cardiff at £60-£75 for the Sat 26th October? Preferably near a rail link into Cardiff city centre. ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#800 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Anyone got an idea of any decent hotel rooms available in or near Cardiff at £60-£75 for the Sat 26th October? Preferably near a rail link into Cardiff city centre. ;)

I'm struggling for reasonable accommodation, I'm swaying towards Bristol or Swansea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users