Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#801 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I'm struggling for reasonable accommodation, I'm swaying towards Bristol or Swansea.

I'm probably going to be looking for somewhere half way between Cardiff and Hull

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#802 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'm struggling for reasonable accommodation, I'm swaying towards Bristol or Swansea.

I've just booked a double room in Cwmbran at the Premier Inn for £55 including breakfast Dave. Room only was £39. It's a mile and a half from the railway station and it's eight quid return to Cardiff on the train. If you try this option go straight to the Premier Inn website rather than cheap hotel sites like lastminute or trivago.

Edited by deluded pom?, 21 July 2013 - 05:44 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#803 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Going to the final, semi final, England v Ireland, tonga v Italy, Fiji v Ireland and PNG v NZ. Bought all them tickets also going to go to England's quarter final plus hopefully PNG v France

#804 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

i booked for me and the fiance around christmas if i remeber right. 3 nights (thur, fri, sat) at the atlantic travelodge for £72 - chuffed!!

Edited by colin84hunter, 22 July 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#805 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm probably going to be looking for somewhere half way between Cardiff and Hull

I'm liking the idea of Birmingham...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#806 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

I've just booked a double room in Cwmbran at the Premier Inn for £55 including breakfast Dave. Room only was £39. It's a mile and a half from the railway station and it's eight quid return to Cardiff on the train. If you try this option go straight to the Premier Inn website rather than cheap hotel sites like lastminute or trivago.

im finding plenty of reasonable options for swansea and Bristol with cheap regular trains too so I think it should be ok. Quite like swansea for a pint too so that may be favourite!

#807 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm liking the idea of Birmingham...

I knew if I waited long enough someone would use that sentence. You do realise that is already the banner promotional tag on the Birmingham tourist board website - you are credited as B Rooza :)
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#808 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

I moved to Cardiff 8 years ago, just for this possibility.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#809 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Going to every game in Great Britain apart from PNG v France, Wales v Cook, and Tonga v Italy, so that will be 21 games in total. This in part will be possible thanks to the generosity of my employer giving me five days of special leave to work as one of the volunteers in addition to the annual leave that I will be using. As I live in Kent this means that I will be booking accommodation for the 17 nights that I will be on the road, and using a large proportion of the English motorway network (desperately hoping for no snow in November). If I can make this effort, then there is no reason that those who live in the heartlands and profess to  love the game cannot take in one or two games minimum. If everyone who is a fan, puts aside any club allegiance or grievance they feel they may have with the RFL, and commits to attending one game this would go a long way towards creating a vibrant and successful tournament.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#810 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Going to every game in Great Britain apart from PNG v France, Wales v Cook, and Tonga v Italy, so that will be 21 games in total. This in part will be possible thanks to the generosity of my employer giving me five days of special leave to work as one of the volunteers in addition to the annual leave that I will be using. As I live in Kent this means that I will be booking accommodation for the 17 nights that I will be on the road, and using a large proportion of the English motorway network (desperately hoping for no snow in November). If I can make this effort, then there is no reason that those who live in the heartlands and profess to  love the game cannot take in one or two games minimum. If everyone who is a fan, puts aside any club allegiance or grievance they feel they may have with the RFL, and commits to attending one game this would go a long way towards creating a vibrant and successful tournament.

Amen to that

#811 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Well said - everyone will have some form of commitments over this period but we should all looking to get to what games we can.

I finally booked my first tranche of tickets last night with more to follow closer to the time when I know my work commitments.

#812 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

GW1

Opening Games - Booked for me and fiance

NZ - Sam - put down to Volunteer

Fiji - Ire - Put down to Volunteer

GW2

Eng v ire - Booked for me Father and Brother in laws to be (neither have been to a game of RL before)

Wal v USA - Booked for me and Fiance

Ton v Coo - Put down to volunteer

GW3

Sco v USA - Booked for me, brother and Dad (Scottish - neither have been to a game of RL before)

NZ v PNG - Booked for me (staying in Leeds before off to Hull in the morning)

Eng - Fij - Booked for me

Ton v Ita - put down to volunteer

GW4

QF2 - 2 Tickets bought

QF3 - 2 Tickets bought

QF4 - Put down to volunteer

GW5

SF - My Stag Do to Antwerp but i will try and watch the game, convert some belgians 

GW6

F - More expensive seats bought for the final as i get married the day before (i wasnt getting married on the saturday no way!!) - for me and the wife

Every other game i will watch, if not live then on the premierplayer

I cant wait

#813 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

GW6

F - More expensive seats bought for the final as i get married the day before (i wasnt getting married on the saturday no way!!) - for me and the wife

Now that is commitment! :D

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#814 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

Spoke to the RFL today on the phone:

1. You can now buy £50 tickets in the Upper East Stand at Cardiff via the phone.

2. Club Wembley seats are available via phone. They cost £40 each.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#815 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Try Hotels on outskirts of Cardiff in towns like Caerphilly, Pontypridd and Newport all short train rides from Cardiff

#816 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Anyone have any tips for getting a decent hotel for the semis at a good rate ?

#817 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Anyone have any tips for getting a decent hotel for the semis at a good rate ?

Just don't stay right in central London and you should be able to get a pretty decent room for under £100.

#818 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Couldnt get any of the boys to do semi and final so theres a load of us going to the final but i really fancied the semis as well Thing is I've had to do some bargaining with my worse half she thinks we are going on a romantic break Friday and Saturday night so she's up for drinking all day Saturday as long as she can go shopping all day Friday..... Fair deal like but I can't really stop that far out of London.

#819 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Some Travelodge prices for either Friday or Saturday night for the semi-finals :

Farringdon Fri £48 Sat £87
Bethnal Green F £58 S £60
Wembley F35 S £76
Ealing F £32 S £40
Kew Bridge F £31 S £41
Fulham F £51 S £104
Battersea F £48 S £71
Borehamwood F £24 S £29
So a few to be had there. These will not be flexible rates.

#820 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Try Hotels on outskirts of Cardiff in towns like Caerphilly, Pontypridd and Newport all short train rides from Cardiff

Tried Caerphilly Dug but to no avail but got sorted in Cwmbran. Right side of Cardiff for me and half a hour on the train.

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users