Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#821 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Anyone have any tips for getting a decent hotel for the semis at a good rate ?

Got the Kings Cross Travelodge for £35/room, booked it a few months ago but there may still be rooms at a decent rate. Tube goes from Kings Cross to Wembley with only abou 4/5 stops
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#822 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,769 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

Had a text fron Orange the other day trying to sell me rlwc hospitality. Good stuff as they must have a pretty large customer base.

#823 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

Couldnt get any of the boys to do semi and final so theres a load of us going to the final but i really fancied the semis as well Thing is I've had to do some bargaining with my worse half she thinks we are going on a romantic break Friday and Saturday night so she's up for drinking all day Saturday as long as she can go shopping all day Friday..... Fair deal like but I can't really stop that far out of London.

A little far from wembley (but only one change of transport) but a great place to stop is Greenwich. I stay there a lot for work and it is only 10 mins to central London. Hotel rates are good as long as nothing is on at the O2. At the budget end there are a Premier Inn, Ibis and Travelodge and you often get a good rate at the Mercure or Novotel.
I even got a reasonably priced room there during the Olympics. I'm sure the Mrs would like the shopping in Greenwich as well. Lots of great independant places, and some good eating / drinking establishments.

#824 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Had a text fron Orange the other day trying to sell me rlwc hospitality. Good stuff as they must have a pretty large customer base.

Impressed with that!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#825 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Are we there yet?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#826 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

More interesting RLWC tidbits in today's SMH

World Cup door remains open for SBW, whether he's contracted or not

Sonny Bill Williams will be eligible for selection in the season-ending Rugby League World Cup even if he has not signed an NRL contract for next year.

His future remains uncertain as he signed just a one-year deal with Sydney Roosters. The Bondi Junction outfit is desperate to retain him and the ARL Commission earmarked changes to the salary cap that will make league a more attractive option for star players.

However, the lure of returning to rugby - and the prospect of playing at the Olympics in sevens and in another World Cup tilt in the 15-man game - will also be strong for one of the biggest drawcards in either code. It is also unclear what impact his interest in boxing might have on his availability.

However, Williams would be eligible to play in league's showpiece international event if he remains a free agent. It is possible he could be considered even if he defects back to rugby.

Advertisement

''From an RLIF point of view, the federation would work hard to ensure the best possible players represent their country,'' said Rugby League International Federation secretary Andrew Hill.

''If Sonny hasn't got a registered contract with the NRL, I don't see that as being a reason for him not to participate in the Rugby League 2013 World Cup.''

The rule also applies to departing Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall, who could make his league swansong at international level before switching to union. Asked if a player would be eligible for the World Cup even if contracted to a rival code, Hill - who also holds an executive posting at the ARLC - said: ''That would be a matter the RLIF board would have to consider in conjunction with the member nations of the international federation.''

Injuries limited Williams to just seven rugby league Tests between 2004 and 2008 and he was not part of the team that upset Australia in the last World Cup final. While Kiwi officials desperately want him to be part of their title defence, Williams also qualifies for Samoa.

Manly centre Steve Matai, who has represented New Zealand on a dozen occasions, will switch his allegiance to Samoa. He has already been in Williams' ear in an attempt to get him to do likewise.

''After our last game we played against the Roosters, I had a quick chat to him afterwards,'' Matai said. ''I said: 'What are you doing at the end of the year? Let's go play for Samoa.' He hadn't made his mind up yet. I think he'll get a lot of backlash if he chooses to play for Samoa instead of New Zealand. But I'll ask, don't worry about that.''

Matai has been chipping away at another schoolfriend with dual eligibility, Thomas Leuluai. The three, who attended Mount Albert Grammar in Auckland together, have until early October to decide whether to reunite for the Pacific nation.

Hill said there was no specific deadline. ''The week after the NRL and Super League grand finals is the week each nation must submit its playing squad to the World Cup organisers,'' he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2a8gwKklK

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2a8gqaBJz

#827 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

First World Cup was 1995. Tonga-NZ at Wilderspool. Awesome. That tournament probably made me an RL fan for life.

Me too!

(At the time there was some very disparaging articles in some of the broadsheets before the tournament started sating that as league was a game played only in half of Australia and two counties in the north of England a World Cup was a ridiculous idea).

I can still remember watching Mathew Ridge"s drop goal attempt in the last minute against Australia on a little tv in my parents house.

Edited by westlondonfan, 26 July 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#828 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Got the Kings Cross Travelodge for £35/room, booked it a few months ago but there may still be rooms at a decent rate. Tube goes from Kings Cross to Wembley with only abou 4/5 stops

Just checked that out on Tripadvisor CF. Looks like you were over charged. Anyone else have any ideas for hotels in London at around sixty to seventy five quid a night for the semi weekend? I don't want to be too far out of the way. :D

rldfsignature.jpg

#829 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Mr Smith from the Yorkshire post is reporting that only 10,000 tickets have been sold for the millennium stadium.  That doesn't seem to fit in with the impression I have got from here? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#830 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Mr Smith from the Yorkshire post is reporting that only 10,000 tickets have been sold for the millennium stadium.  That doesn't seem to fit in with the impression I have got from here? 

I am in complete disbelief from that figure, so much so that I actually crossed a line in questioning him about it.

I don't care if people do call me a sock puppet anymore, I'm still going to talk the game up wherever possible.

Posted Image

#831 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Just checked that out on Tripadvisor CF. Looks like you were over charged. Anyone else have any ideas for hotels in London at around sixty to seventy five quid a night for the semi weekend? I don't want to be too far out of the way. :D

Trip Advisor, booking.com and Laterooms will cover about all of your options.
Add a search on Travelodge and Premier Inn as well.
We used LondonTown.com for Wembley CC Final rooms and have the Crown Plaza in Blackfriars for £76 per night.

#832 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

I am in complete disbelief from that figure, so much so that I actually crossed a line in questioning him about it.

I don't care if people do call me a sock puppet anymore, I'm still going to talk the game up wherever possible.

It does seem a low figure.  He's also saying Wembley sales are poor too.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#833 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Trip Advisor, booking.com and Laterooms will cover about all of your options.Add a search on Travelodge and Premier Inn as well.We used LondonTown.com for Wembley CC Final rooms and have the Crown Plaza in Blackfriars for £76 per night.

Cheers Shaun.

rldfsignature.jpg

#834 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I was going to post something about Canetman's identity being finally revealed, but realised he'd never claim a figure as high as 10,000. :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#835 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

It doesn't add up that figure. Of the middle tier at Millennium we know 21 of 38 bays are sold out. That in itself is 10,000 tickets.

Throw in the other 10 bays in the bottom tier and that's another 5,000 tickets.

So that's 15,000 assuming no other bays have sales in them which we know there has been.

Honestly if only 10,000 tickets had been sold only one side of the ground would still be open.
Posted Image

#836 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Who is this guy? What is his evidence? Has anyone forwarded a copy of his comments to the rfl/RLWC press team
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#837 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Who is this guy? What is his evidence? Has anyone forwarded a copy of his comments to the rfl/RLWC press team

He's a journalist and he has a source....

#838 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Where has he said this?

#839 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Where has he said this?

Twitter -

@PeteSmithYEP - Been getting some stick for saying ticket sales for the Cardiff World Cup opener are poor. The figure I've heard is 10,000

And

Not heard how they are going, but Wembley's not great apparently.

#840 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

If you click on the buy a ticket link for Millenium Stadium, there are 29, by my count, bays that say 'sold out'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users