Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#841 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

If you click on the buy a ticket link for Millenium Stadium, there are 29, by my count, bays that say 'sold out'

Exactly, there is a difference between blocking out a section because you don't want to (or can't) sell it and putting in 'sold out' . Also, if ticket sales are so poor why have they opened around another 20 bays in the last month?

The organisers also mentioned that 40% of all tickets had been sold. Why would they mention this if they had only sold 12% of tickets for the opener?

Northern journalist in doom shocker.

#842 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

RLWC officials should rebut this, can anyone confirm they know about these allegations
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#843 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

RLWC officials should rebut this, can anyone confirm they know about these allegations

Yeah. We need to know about the allegator.

rldfsignature.jpg

#844 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

This is the one thing that worries me tbh. We keep hearing that the big games are selling well, but obviously 'well' is subjective.

The amount of open bays suggest decent sales but the lack of any number suggests it could be lower than many think.

Saying ticket sales are going well and they are looking for a full house is a positive story.
Announcing sales of say 9k will not help.

I think had sales passed 20-25k we would have heard a number.

#845 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

My contacts suggest that investors are ready to build a new super stadium for west Cumbria - okay my contact is the voice in my head, but...
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#846 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

This is the one thing that worries me tbh. We keep hearing that the big games are selling well, but obviously 'well' is subjective.

The amount of open bays suggest decent sales but the lack of any number suggests it could be lower than many think.

Saying ticket sales are going well and they are looking for a full house is a positive story.
Announcing sales of say 9k will not help.

I think had sales passed 20-25k we would have heard a number.

But why would the RFL put 29 bays as 'sold out' as opposed to greying out etc? Even they can be this stupid. This was only done recently too. Some of the other bays you also can't buy 3 seats together. At least 15-20 new bays have been opened up in the last month.

Edited by Scubby, 27 July 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#847 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

But why would the RFL put 29 bays as 'sold out' as opposed to greying out etc? Even they can be this stupid. This was only done recently too. Some of the other bays you also can't buy 3 seats together. At least 15-20 new bays have been opened up in the last month.

im not sure what the capacity of those bays are. Are they 500 each? Thatd be around 15k. Are some smaller?

#848 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

im not sure what the capacity of those bays are. Are they 500 each? Thatd be around 15k. Are some smaller?

I've just done some calculations regarding sold out areas at the Millennium.

Lower Tier Capacity: 23,500
Bays: 42 (average 559 seats in each)
Sold Out: 10 (5,595 seats)

Middle Tier: 18,000
Bays: 38 (average 474 seats in each)
Sold Out: 20 (9,480 seats)

All rough estimates.

#849 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

All rough estimates.

Similar to Dave T's assumption. But this is not taking into account sales in any of the other bays. I make it that approx. 90 bays are currently available for sale and 29 are marked as sold out.

#850 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Similar to Dave T's assumption. But this is not taking into account sales in any of the other bays. I make it that approx. 90 bays are currently available for sale and 29 are marked as sold out.

Aye obviously there's more tickets to add to that, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we've sold well over than what that Yorkshire journo is spouting.

I must say however I had a horrible empty feeling in my stomach just thinking about 10,000 being the actual number. I'm planning on taking my parents, both huge welsh union fans to the game... The thought of an awful attendance at a ground that they regularly visit for sold out union games really upsets me.

#851 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Aye obviously there's more tickets to add to that, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we've sold well over than what that Yorkshire journo is spouting.

I must say however I had a horrible empty feeling in my stomach just thinking about 10,000 being the actual number. I'm planning on taking my parents, both huge welsh union fans to the game... The thought of an awful attendance at a ground that they regularly visit for sold out union games really upsets me.

RL fans are notoriously lazy beggars. They will wait until the last minute as usually happens. The feel for this World Cup has not been like any other in recent memory. Why would thousands of people buy tickets to Rochdale and Bristol and not give a stuff about seeing the opening ceremony and a double header (including England v Australia)? I predict at least 60k in Cardiff for the opener.

Edited by Scubby, 27 July 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#852 Intake Don

Intake Don
  • Facebook
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

On the subject of Wembley i bought sum tickets just over a month ago in the £20 category and they wer on row 38 and now wen i put in the same amount of tickets in for the same section ther on row 2 so correct me if im wrong but for the bottom sections of stadiums they always start from the top row which means quite a few tickets hav been sold since i bought mine

#853 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

From an interview with Sally Bolton in the Independent today:

Will people come and watch in decent numbers, especially when you are going up against the football season?

SB: Our target is half-a-million ticket sales across the 28 games. We have 40 per cent of our ticket sales target done – our big push starts now.

http://www.independe...ps-8735138.html

I'm looking forward to seeing what "the big push" involves!!!

Edited by Jim from Oz, 28 July 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#854 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Me too. Great stuff as the 'push' so far has probably been bigger than anything seen before!

#855 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Me too. Great stuff as the 'push' so far has probably been bigger than anything seen before!

Fingers crossed on this one Dave.

rldfsignature.jpg

#856 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I really want to go to the opening games now i feel its my duty to go just dont know how I can pull it off its a hard sell to people who aren't massive fans. I've got loads coming to the final.

#857 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

I really want to go to the opening games now i feel its my duty to go just dont know how I can pull it off its a hard sell to people who aren't massive fans. I've got loads coming to the final.

why are you finding it a hard sell Mick?

The following events should be easy and attractive for you to take neutrals:
Opener - Eng v Aus is a brilliant event.

NZ v Samoa - nice ground, atmosphere and two huge teams hitting each other.

Eng v Fiji - as above, Eng should win but that doesnt bothrr fans of otger sports!

Semi finals - double header with potentially Eng v NZ and Aus v Samoa - should be awesome!

I understand some games are a tough sell, im not getting many from Edinburgh to come to Workington but there are some great events to get new fans involved.

#858 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

All rough estimates.

Just having a scan at some photos of the stadium, and some of the middle tier blocks are very small, particularly at the end. A quick count shows that some of the sold out blocks in the corner have a capacity of around 250 - so four of the blocks account for 1k sales. The middle tier corners probably only hold around 3.5k combined and this accounts for 12 of the sold out blocks.

Of course these are just done with the naked eye, but gives an indication that sales could be slightly more challenging than we hope.

The huge £60-99 sections along the touchlines worry me, although to get 4 together you are moving out towards the 20m line.

#859 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

I meant the game at Cardiff Dave. A lot of the people who are coming to games with me are casual fans so are happy to attend the local games to us which are the games at headingley hudds and halifax but won't do the final and opener due to cost and if its one or the other the final is always going to be more appealing so there's 20 of us going to that.
Please don't think I'm moaning about the venue or anything like that as that's not what I'm getting at all.

#860 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

I meant the game at Cardiff Dave. A lot of the people who are coming to games with me are casual fans so are happy to attend the local games to us which are the games at headingley hudds and halifax but won't do the final and opener due to cost and if its one or the other the final is always going to be more appealing so there's 20 of us going to that.
Please don't think I'm moaning about the venue or anything like that as that's not what I'm getting at all.

No no, I wasn't taking it that way, was genuinely interested as to what kind of feedback you were getting as to why people didn;t want to go.

I'm in a slightly different position that I live in Edinburgh, and trying to get people interested in a weekend in Cardiff is much easier than getting them to come along to Workington!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users