Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#861 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just bought my tickets to the final using the tickets page at manutd.com - very few tickets for the game are remaining, judging by the effort it took to find two together on both there and the RLWC ticket page - surely a great sign?

#862 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

As a visual aid, a football league play off (2004) between Hudds and Mansfield attracted 37,298 people to the Millennium, here's a photo of the stadium mid game.

Attached File  image.jpg   99.87KB   6 downloads

Edited by welshmagpie, 28 July 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#863 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

As a visual aid, a football league play off (2004) between Hudds and Mansfield attracted 37,298 people to the Millennium, here's a photo of the stadium mid game.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I assume there are plenty of empty seats off camera? That crowd figure is half full, yet there aren't half the seats empty there.

#864 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

I assume there are plenty of empty seats off camera? That crowd figure is half full, yet there aren't half the seats empty there.

I'd like to think we will be easily able to top the figure at that game, anyway on topic here's a snap at the other end.

Attached File  image.jpg   107.96KB   1 downloads

#865 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'd like to think we will be easily able to top the figure at that game, anyway on topic here's a snap at the other end.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Those top tiers are massive aren't they! If we can fill the bottom two tiers at least that will look very impressive.

#866 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

No no, I wasn't taking it that way, was genuinely interested as to what kind of feedback you were getting as to why people didn;t want to go.

I'm in a slightly different position that I live in Edinburgh, and trying to get people interested in a weekend in Cardiff is much easier than getting them to come along to Workington!

Tell him the match is on the edge of the lake district in Keswick West, why els call the ground Derwent Park?
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#867 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Tell him the match is on the edge of the lake district in Keswick West, why els call the ground Derwent Park?

I'm pretty sure I couldn't get that many on a coach trip to the Lakes in November either.

#868 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm pretty sure I couldn't get that many on a coach trip to the Lakes in November either.

Judging by the traffic someone does :(
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#869 Jules1973

Jules1973
  • Twitter
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

At the moment we're attending....

Opening Weekend -  hotel booked already - travelodge above the Walkabout

Saints game - Aus v Fiji

Final

Probably

Wire game - NZ v Samoa

Wigan - Quarter Final

~ Jules

#870 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 795 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

Just wondering: are we ever going to hear of any TV coverage of RLWC 2013 beyond the UK and Oz????

#871 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Got a reply from RLWC2013 on their FB page in response to the journo's twitter I received this reply to my question of whether he's tweets were correct  re: poor ticket sales at Millennium & Wembley- "I can categorically state he is wrong on both counts".

#872 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Got a reply from RLWC2013 on their FB page in response to the journo's twitter I received this reply to my question of whether he's tweets were correct  re: poor ticket sales at Millennium & Wembley- "I can categorically state he is wrong on both counts".

What a surprise. :no2:

#873 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

I've been following ticket sales at both locations for along time now. I don't have the details on me as I am away from home at present but only 2 x £30 bays are left available at Cardiff along with 1 x £25 bay. Only 3 x £20 bays were available this morning. Now I think the RLWC are being very crafty with this and closing bays when a certain amount have been sold in order to fill up those other areas. However, that will look great on TV in my opinion. I spoke to the RFL on the phone the other day and they are about to open up the £50 area in the Upper East Stand too. A few more sections are also sold out in the £60 and £99 sections as well.

Other evidence to good ticket sales in Cardiff is the difficultly in booking accommodation in Cardiff itself. There is very little available. Therefore I think the journalist is well off the mark with his estimates for Cardiff.

As for Wembley, most sections are stating tickets unavailable on the website as well so again I think he is inaccurate with his comments.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#874 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

I think the journo bloke just said it so the RLWC would hopefully respond with some figures for him, and everyone, to publish.

It's been a while I think since any sort of press release relating to ticket numbers.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#875 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,699 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Yeah. We need to know about the allegator.

not the crocodile? :-)

#876 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,699 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

I think the journo bloke just said it so the RLWC would hopefully respond with some figures for him, and everyone, to publish.

It's been a while I think since any sort of press release relating to ticket numbers.

i admire your attribution of motive to the journo , though fear it is misplaced.

#877 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

i admire your attribution of motive to the journo , though fear it is misplaced.

I'm just trying to make sense of this crazy world we live in.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#878 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,699 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Good luck with that. If you are sucessful, a fortune awaits.

#879 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

I've been following ticket sales at both locations for along time now. I don't have the details on me as I am away from home at present but only 2 x £30 bays are left available at Cardiff along with 1 x £25 bay. Only 3 x £20 bays were available this morning. Now I think the RLWC are being very crafty with this and closing bays when a certain amount have been sold in order to fill up those other areas. However, that will look great on TV in my opinion. I spoke to the RFL on the phone the other day and they are about to open up the £50 area in the Upper East Stand too. A few more sections are also sold out in the £60 and £99 sections as well.

Other evidence to good ticket sales in Cardiff is the difficultly in booking accommodation in Cardiff itself. There is very little available. Therefore I think the journalist is well off the mark with his estimates for Cardiff.

As for Wembley, most sections are stating tickets unavailable on the website as well so again I think he is inaccurate with his comments.

Yes - it looks like there are very few areas where you can get more than 2 tickets together in the £30 section. It's slightly annoying how they have done some of this though as I wanted lower tier seats in this area and was told there weren't four seats together, however now there are. I hope it is just due to clubs returning tickets rather than them playing any kind of system.

The reason i hope this is that due to this, my family bought 4 cheaper tickets in the top tier.

#880 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

I think the journo bloke just said it so the RLWC would hopefully respond with some figures for him, and everyone, to publish.

I think it's only a couple of weeks ago they announced the 40% total sold.

This is a tough one, as Sally Bolton made the statement a while back that she doesn;t want to spend all year talking about crowd numbers, but I do think they need to say something on both of these games.

It is public that the sales are not going as well as hoped - people will believe a journalist over a generic press release which is the counter to these claims. 

If we have sold over 20k for Cardiff, I think this could be extremely positive. They could be announcing that it is already a record crowd for the stadium for a Test match, will be the largest ever Wales crowd etc. all with three months still to go. The fact that they aren't prepared to quote a number does worry me slightly, but then the stuff we see, as Geordie Saint highlights does give me some comfort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users