Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#921 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Given that we don't have a media that will hand out press coverage for us we need to really work hard for all our publicity. We can't sit back and hope that things improve, we need to get out there and make it happen. For starters, I would organise a national tour of the country, focused on areas where the games are occurring and taking the trophy to local schools, fetes, shows etc to generate publicity in the local area. We could perhaps work with logistics partners to facilitate this e.g. a car hire company to transport the stands, trophy etc between towns.

I would also try and engage with the national network of Rugby League clubs by offering them incentives to buy tickets (such as cashback schemes) as this effectively gets the clubs working as sales agents for the World Cup.

Finally, given that we are not blessed with a massive budget for the tournament, I would seek to make use of social media by creating profiles on Twitter, Facebook etc and then holding competitions and posting regular updates to engage with the millions who use these channels.

I would like to see the TV broadcaster of the major games (BBC) promote it more. Not just on TV but also on web-sites in particular BBC sports website. For example like Sky did for the recent Lions tour. When ever I clicked in to watch a Rugby League video on the Sky website I got a promotional advert about the Lions tour before the video sequence. 

Through the clubs community, school work, and other RL web sites  could have competitions for the children that included having to get parents participation.   If at the beginning did a really big prize (a bit like willy wonka golden ticket) through web sites and social media of RFL, clubs and Broadcaster that built up week by week that reached a crescendo with the grand prize.... Hospitality for them and family plus on air seat in the BBC commentary panel for major match days and trips to NRL games in Australia, etc etc...

#922 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

:)

Still interested in the views of the straw pollsters as to what would inform their work colleagues about an event they were previously unaware of

My straw poll was mainly work colleagues and friends that would be described by marketing people as  "professionals in the higher income brackets".  Most in the ICT sector.  Heavy users of social media and latest hi-tech gizmo's (I personally am not a technophile) in particular smart apps on smart-phones and users of digital media.  So any promotional material via those channels like a apple I-phone app that had competition that incorporated Rugby League aspects pushed through the channels that the marketing team would have information on that is accessed by high aspirational professionals with a high level university degree .  Any marketing professionals would have that info... but I would guess that the marketing professionals would write off this section as unlikely to attend so why waste time.   I would suggest they would be wrong as a lot have children that would love sport and to promote it as an elite sport would gain interest.  Plus I'm one that loves rugby league and have done since a very early age.

Edited by redjonn, 05 August 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#923 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

My straw poll was mainly work colleagues and friends that would be described by marketing people as  "professionals in the higher income brackets".  Most in the ICT sector.  Heavy users of social media and latest hi-tech gizmo's (I personally am not a technophile) in particular smart apps on smart-phones and users of digital media.  So any promotional material via those channels like a apple I-phone app that had competition that incorporated Rugby League aspects pushed through the channels that the marketing team would have information on that is accessed by high aspirational professionals with a high level university degree .  Any marketing professionals would have that info... but I would guess that the marketing professionals would write off this section as unlikely to attend so why waste time.   I would suggest they would be wrong as a lot have children that would love sport and to promote it as an elite sport would gain interest.  Plus I'm one that loves rugby league and have done since a very early age.

I hope they are reading this but just in case I will quote it to them on their Facebook page etc; Sounds like good ideas, not sure on costs though

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#924 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

People ask how they can spread or assist the RLWC2013 word? Click on articles like this

http://www.bristol-c...phy-in-bristol/

Also, fb friend the official page and share it, comment on stories etc

https://www.facebook...yleagueworldcup

Everything help :)

#925 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

The World Cup organisers have now opened up the top tier of the East Stand. Great news and an indication that ticket sales continue to progress nicely at Cardiff.

https://www.eticketi...rlwcsite_reskin

#926 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

I would like to see the TV broadcaster of the major games (BBC) promote it more. Not just on TV but also on web-sites in particular BBC sports website. For example like Sky did for the recent Lions tour. When ever I clicked in to watch a Rugby League video on the Sky website I got a promotional advert about the Lions tour before the video sequence. 

Through the clubs community, school work, and other RL web sites  could have competitions for the children that included having to get parents participation.   If at the beginning did a really big prize (a bit like willy wonka golden ticket) through web sites and social media of RFL, clubs and Broadcaster that built up week by week that reached a crescendo with the grand prize.... Hospitality for them and family plus on air seat in the BBC commentary panel for major match days and trips to NRL games in Australia, etc etc...

Has anyone emailed the BBC to suggest they promote it a bit more?

#927 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

The World Cup organisers have now opened up the top tier of the East Stand. Great news and an indication that ticket sales continue to progress nicely at Cardiff.

https://www.eticketi...rlwcsite_reskin

Shush! Trying to buy 12 tickets on the front row over the next couple of days! :tongue:

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#928 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yet again all of the graphics on the ticket site are down, meaning nobody can buy any tickets. This really is unacceptable.

#929 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

Yet again all of the graphics on the ticket site are down, meaning nobody can buy any tickets. This really is unacceptable.

I find the staff at the RL ticket office fantastically helpful and it's much easier to book by phone than struggle with the website.

#930 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Very happy this morning - 12 x tickets bought for the opener on the very first row of U10! :D

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#931 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Been good to see the focus on the USA v Cook Islands this week. Tickets are only on sale in 3 of the 4 stands, but seat tickets in the east stand seem to have sold out and in one block in the south stand. I reckon that 572 terrace tickets have also been sold. Be interesting to see how tickets move over the new few weeks and in the lead up to the match itself. In the eastern terrace, my ticket was number 36, so they've been selling 30-40 tickets each month for that part of the ground each month.

Not exactly a stampede for tickets but coming along nicely. Probably about 1500 tickets sold so far.

#932 brooza

brooza
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Been good to see the focus on the USA v Cook Islands this week. Tickets are only on sale in 3 of the 4 stands, but seat tickets in the east stand seem to have sold out and in one block in the south stand. I reckon that 572 terrace tickets have also been sold. Be interesting to see how tickets move over the new few weeks and in the lead up to the match itself. In the eastern terrace, my ticket was number 36, so they've been selling 30-40 tickets each month for that part of the ground each month.

Not exactly a stampede for tickets but coming along nicely. Probably about 1500 tickets sold so far.

I have ticket #251 in UPTR (WHICHEVER ONE THAT IS) WHICH i ORDERED ON 17/07

EDIT: damn capslock

Edited by brooza, 08 August 2013 - 09:57 AM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#933 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

The Upper Tier is harder to judge. It holds 33,000. Out of 42 sections, 18 have been opened for purchase (approximately 14000 seats). Now only 3 of them actually have tickets to release at present as ticketmaster/the RFL seem to shut sections after a certain amount have been sold. Many of the Cat 7 sections were around the rows 12-15 mark when they were last open and most of the Cat 6 sections were rows 17-19. The website states that the Upper Tier has between 33-37 rows per section. Therefore I will be conservative with this estimate and state that a minimum of 1/3 tickets have gone in the available upper tier sections, so approximately 4700-5000 seats.

Slightly incorrect in my observations of the Upper Tier. Looks like they have sold more (basing my estimates on purchasing 5 seats together). Currently up to:

U2 - Row 13, U3 - Row 15, U4 - Row 19, U14 - Row 21, U15 - Row 19, U16 - Row 18, U17 - Row 17, U18 - Row 21, U19 - Row 19, U20 - Row 20, U21 - Row 23, U22 - Row 23, U23 - Row 13, U24 - Row 13, U25 - Row 17, U35 - Row 17, U36 - Row 13, U37 - Row 11.

Good news as it looks like around half the available Cat 6 and Cat 7 tickets have been sold. Continued strong sales and we'll hopefully see North Upper Tier opened up as well.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 09 August 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#934 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

On my way home from the office last night I saw an advert at Baker Street Tube station for the Rugby League World Cup Roadshow in Trafalgar Square on Friday 23rd August.

It should be good even if that buffoon Boris turns up.(I hope we give him a traditional warm northern welcome!)

#935 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Lots of talk about ticket sales are this, ticket sales are that. I am hopful they are doing well and there are a lot of signs that they are:-

• Press releases from various clubs saying there are not many tickets left in various sections (Rochdale, Workington, Neath etc...) 
  • The RLWC organisers saying they are ahead of schedule to sell 500,000
  • The RLWC being top of the most popular sports events on ticketmaster website
  • New marketing ideas that are being pushed at regular intervals (today's being the trafalgar square event) 
  • Large areas of the big 3 matches marked as 'Sold Out'
My only concern is that, once again, specific numbers are ot being discussed. Surely if 30,000 tickets had been sold for the opener they would have said, or 50,000 for the final or even 20000 for Wembley.

Am really hopeful that there will be a big turn out at most matches and will be talking as many friends as I can to as many matches as I can get to without getting divorced.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

I used to be a big fan of announcing the amount sold but I think this has actually backfired in the past and we've ended up with less there than was announced.

I can see the reasoning in announcing that it is about to sellout but often I think it puts people off. I remember I managed to get tickets to the GB vs Aus game at Wigan in 2003 on the day despite announcements all week that it was about to go.

I like the vague yet positive statements, they imply that it is going to be a success without discouraging people from buying thinking that they have or are likely to fully go.

#936 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

I like the vague yet positive statements, they imply that it is going to be a success without discouraging people from buying thinking that they have or are likely to fully go.

Completely agree. Sometimes I think our enthusiasm for events gets in the way and we want exact details of how they are going rather than just letting the events sell themselves. I am a nightmare for it (see my constant posts on ticket sales! :D). As league fans, we do find reasons not to go rather than to go in my experience so the current announcements are good in my opinion.

It should be good even if that buffoon Boris turns up.(I hope we give him a traditional warm northern welcome!)

So in order to sell the RLWC to the population of the capital, you'd chose NOT to utilise the most influential man in the city? That would be a clever idea! I hope Boris gets heavily involved and even attends the semi-finals himself. As much as certain people are not liked by the more traditional rugby league areas due to politics etc, we should positively encouraged anybody (well almost anyone!) to attend RL events across the country.

#937 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

So in order to sell the RLWC to the population of the capital, you'd chose NOT to utilise the most influential man in the city? That would be a clever idea! I hope Boris gets heavily involved and even attends the semi-finals himself. As much as certain people are not liked by the more traditional rugby league areas due to politics etc, we should positively encouraged anybody (well almost anyone!) to attend RL events across the country.

Quite. And Boris has been on hand to boost all the other events that are fully or partly in the capital.

He'll give good quotes and increase the chance of the media acknowledging the existence of the tournament.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#938 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

300 of these currently in the London underground system...

BRJRdKxCAAAI2vG.jpg

Posted Image

#939 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have ticket #251 in UPTR (WHICHEVER ONE THAT IS) WHICH i ORDERED ON 17/07

EDIT: damn capslock

That means they have shifted 82 tickets on that terrace at Bristol in the last 3 weeks. Be interesting to see what figures are in a week or so, after this week's awareness raising campaign.

#940 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ooh, got to start looking out for those posters on the Tube now! :)

Edited by Futtocks, 08 August 2013 - 12:31 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)