Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#1161 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Throw in what we know as middle tier sales (10 of 52 bays at Wembley & 20 of 43 bays at Cardiff) that gives both grounds a rough sales total of 33,900 at Wembley and 29,400 at Millennium.

You can't buy 2 x tickets together in 22 of 52 bays in Club Wembley; both sidelines seem to be gone so you can only buy behind the posts/corners. Only £99, £40 and £30 tickets are currently available. Hence why I reckon they'll open the Upper Tier in the £20 ticket bracket.  

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#1162 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

around 60% of the tickets have already been sold......which is about the same for the entire last world cup in the super mad for it rugby league land of australia...they "sold"* 293,965 tickets for the entire comp...we've beat that already.

where did you hear the 60% stat?

#1163 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Just ordered my first tickets: for the QFs at Wrexham and Warrington, and for me and the missus at Old Trafford. When I get travel sorted, will also be sorting Wembley and the Wigan QF.

Unfortunately I don't think I can get to Cardiff within my budget, which is a shame.

Edited by Just Browny, 08 September 2013 - 02:42 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#1164 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

where did you hear the 60% stat?

Its 60% of tickets sold are to new people, not 60% of tickets have been sold.

#1165 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

To my mind, if we can get to 40k at Wembley and 35k at Cardiff, we will have done enough not to be concerned. With OT already taking care of itself the 3 big events will look good enough for us to concentrate on the RL and relax about the empty seats.
We massively under sell ourselves as a sport in this country. After football and kick for touch, no other sport would be able to shift 500k tickets for its World Cup.
We will remain lower down the establishment pecking order than cheese trolling, but as every year go es by and newspapers become less and less significant, it will matter less.
Am so excited you can cut me with a knife!
In an ideal world, I'll spend the evening of the Wembley game discussing with JB how the Kiwis couldn't live with the Myler/McIllorum combination as we sip our soft southern ales.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 08 September 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#1166 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

To my mind, if we can get to 40k at Wembley and 35k at Cardiff, we will have done enough not to be concerned.

We'll get more than that. I'm going to go for 70k at Wembley and 55k at Cardiff.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#1167 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Just ordered my first tickets: for the QFs at Wrexham and Warrington, and for me and the missus at Old Trafford. When I get travel sorted, will also be sorting Wembley and the Wigan QF.Unfortunately I don't think I can get to Cardiff within my budget, which is a shame.

No Avignon or Perpignan?

#1168 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

It looks like the top tier of the Panasonic Stand (behind the sticks?) is now open at Huddersfield - just bought some £10 tickets in NU1.

#1169 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

To my mind, if we can get to 40k at Wembley and 35k at Cardiff, we will have done enough not to be concerned. With OT already taking care of itself the 3 big events will look good enough for us to concentrate on the RL and relax about the empty seats.
We massively under sell ourselves as a sport in this country. After football and kick for touch, no other sport would be able to shift 500k tickets for its World Cup.
We will remain lower down the establishment pecking order than cheese trolling, but as every year go es by and newspapers become less and less significant, it will matter less.
Am so excited you can cut me with a knife!
In an ideal world, I'll spend the evening of the Wembley game discussing with JB how the Kiwis couldn't live with the Myler/McIllorum combination as we sip our soft southern ales.

The key thing seems to be that we're going to get decent crowds at the big 3 and the tickets have been sold in a way that ensures we will get maximum atmosphere for the crowd that is there. The tournament will also make a decent profit. We will get decent TV coverage in a number of key countries and the structure of the fixtures as in 2008 will give some good competitive games. And there are several weeks until it starts for it to get even better.

Those of us with tickets need to just get ready now and enjoy it. Should be a very enjoyable few weeks with some great moments.

#1170 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Its 60% of tickets sold are to new people, not 60% of tickets have been sold.

thought I had never heard this 60% sales figure.

#1171 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Doesnt a £13-15m turnover seem rather low? Based on 500k sales at an average of £20 each thats £10m - that suggests that sponsorship, tv right, merchandise, hospitality etc is really low.

#1172 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

We'll get more than that. I'm going to go for 70k at Wembley and 55k at Cardiff.

It would be wonderful if we did, I'd be ecstatic. I was thinking of the level at which we could ignore the crowds and concentrate on the rugby.
For all the Northern Solers of the world 70k of mostly southern fans at Wembley would suggest there's a market for TGG darn sarf after all...

#1173 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Doesnt a £13-15m turnover seem rather low? Based on 500k sales at an average of £20 each thats £10m - that suggests that sponsorship, tv right, merchandise, hospitality etc is really low.

Not sure if the £20 average is correct. 55% of tickets were priced at £20 or less. But either way does suggest that the ticket sales will be a massive part of the deal.

#1174 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Just calculated that I've bought 41 tickets for the World Cup at a cost of £678 so that's about an average cost of £16.50, which is probably a reasonable average ticket price as it is a mix of ticket deals.

#1175 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

There is a significant difference between a virtual sell out, which is what is being claimed and an actual sell out.  A virtual sell out implies that at least 90% of the available seats within the bays they are talking about have been sold, with the remaining seats being either scattered singles or the handful of scattered small groups.

The claims by Bolton and Wood of virtual sell outs for Wembley and Cardiff is very encouraging. Based upon that, assuming that there is still there is 10% of singles and small groups in the lower tiers at both venues, that means 30,800 tickets have been sold for London, and 21,100 at Cardiff.

Throw in what we know as middle tier sales (10 of 52 bays at Wembley & 20 of 43 bays at Cardiff) that gives both grounds a rough sales total of 33,900 at Wembley and 29,400 at Millennium.

Both encouraging sales so far, with Cardiff's likely to be significantly larger considering the number of other bays on sale.

Also great to see Old Trafford is now past the 45,000 mark.  Though how far past is anyone's guess... 

The news of 60% of all ticket sales being outside of RL's heartland is really encouraging.  RL fans already know how good our sport is, and I believe if they're not going to a game, most likely they'll be watching at least one.  We need to continue to use this tournament to lure new people to the sport, and show potential sponsors the appeal our code can have.

Speaking of sponsors, I look forward to who they name as the first for the tournament. I'm expecting someone who has/is involved in RL to be named (ie. Gillette, Emirates, Heinz, Tetley, Irn-Bru).  I just hope it is someone of decent enough profile, otherwise I'm sure the critics will be out in force again...

Reading the article again, it doesn't mention ticket sales for Wembley at all.

#1176 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

So now, we are really in the home straight.

When will they get things like the merchandising sorted?

Few issues for me:

1) The shop on the official site isn't currently working properly. Click on the link for adults and it is blank.

2) Really basic merchandise for the majority of clubs - only range of products for England, NZ and Aus.

3) Where are the shirts? A few of these have been released, you can pick up the Scotland, Fiji, Cook Islands, Australia shirts on other sites, but not the official shop.

4) Winter range? Apart from scarves and a couple of hoodies, why have they focused on vests and t-shirts - the tournament is in November ffs.

I actually have money that I want to spend for the games I am going to and it's like they want to make it difficult.

The organisers have done a lot of great stuff with this tournament, and I am as excited as anything about it, but why do we always have to accept a 2nd rate experience on even some of the most basic things?

#1177 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

on the subject of ticket price in regards to turnover & profit...

ticket prices for the last world cup where ridulously low....my ticket for england v png cost £6...england v nz was a tenner....i was given a free ticket for ireland v samoa....i think my world cup final ticket cost more than all the other games i attended in total lol

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#1178 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

ticket prices for the last world cup where ridulously low....my ticket for england v png cost £6...england v nz was a tenner....i was given a free ticket for ireland v samoa....i think my world cup final ticket cost more than all the other games i attended in total lol

they were low but then we benefited on the exchange rate.

I paid a tenner for my Wembley doyble header semi for this one, and using codes you can get tickets for £5 to some games.

#1179 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

Your free ticket for Ireland v Samoa wasn't from the Peter Wynn rugby store was it? I was in there on the way to the game and they gave me free tickets!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#1180 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

I thought the RLWC08 could/should have been better promoted and many crowds were very disappointing. The final really became the saving grace of the tournament.

What was successful about RLWC08 was the branding which I think is excellent and the merchandise was tremendous. I bought jerseys, beer coolers, scalves from memory (spent about $3-400). Bit disappointed that they are not taking advantage of potential merchandise sales leading up to the tournament with no jerseys on sale (yet?) etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users