Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#1181 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

So now, we are really in the home straight.

When will they get things like the merchandising sorted?

The organisers have done a lot of great stuff with this tournament, and I am as excited as anything about it, but why do we always have to accept a 2nd rate experience on even some of the most basic things?

Has the merchandise operation been outsourced as per the tickets etc? I remember reading that Sally Bolton's team is just 12-strong. If this includes merchandising, there aren't enough people.

I completely agree with your last sentence. Nothing is ever seamless with our game and it usually the basic things we get wrong...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#1182 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

I was hoping they were going to be selling the England shirts at the event they held in Trafalgar Square the day before the Chellenge Cup Final but there was nothing to buy. With 10,000 people seeing the cup I'm sure they could have sold a bit aswell, unless of course they weren'y allowed to.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#1183 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Has the merchandise operation been outsourced as per the tickets etc? I remember reading that Sally Bolton's team is just 12-strong. If this includes merchandising, there aren't enough people.

I completely agree with your last sentence. Nothing is ever seamless with our game and it usually the basic things we get wrong...

I was thinking more about this and I suspect that as everybody has their own deals, the RLWC site will probably not sell the shirts as the RLWC will not get their split, so they are trying to sell the generic t-shirts and vests.

As has already been mentioned, the merchandise and souvenirs that were available for the 2008 WC were brilliant, the shops at the grounds were fully stocked in all sorts - I remember getting a full range of scarves, looks like I will get to use them for this world cup!

Since the shop was launched in around April, the Mascot section has had a Coming Soon message. Well, the tournament is almost here and nothing yet.

I also think it is actually pretty poor that the England shirt hasn't been launched yet. The England shop is dire, with almost everything sold out, but not signposted so you have to test every product to see what is in stock. In this day and age, this really isn't good enough.

It really does feel like we are supporting a backward sport at times when it comes to basics.

#1184 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

Was the merchandise available in Oz better than the online store?  I remember just being presented with a range of garish baseball caps and the like all following a set template of TON, SAM, ENG for the branding.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#1185 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

Was the merchandise available in Oz better than the online store?  I remember just being presented with a range of garish baseball caps and the like all following a set template of TON, SAM, ENG for the branding.

It was more the range of stuff - keyrings, scarves, t-shirts, bottle holders, stationary etc. - so maybe we will see more things closer to the time. I think it was also the fact that you could go into general sports shops over there and get nations shirts and the like, but unfortunately we aren't in a position to do that I suppose.

When you look at the merchandise for this World Cup, there is actually some quite nice stuff, once you go to links that work! Some quite nice t-shirts, but it is more the basic issues:

Under the Adults section:

Hoodies - only Tournament, Australia, NZ and England.

Polos - page is blank

Shorts - England, Australia and NZ - are shorts that in-demand?

Vests - quite nice if you like that sort of thing - not sure they will be in massive demand in November. Why only 11 of the 14 nations?

T-shirts - quite nice - only 11 nations again, why no USA, Italy or Cook Islands?

Print T-Shirts - these are decent and have all 14 nations.

Scarves - quite nice, if pricey, but why only 12 nations?

Beanies - just the three big nations.

Pin Badges and Keyrings - very nice range.

So they have done some rally nice things, but when you ignore some nations altogether, and don't even include Wales in some of the ranges then you look cheap.

#1186 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Australia have announced their train on squad to go to PNG, further players will be added as teams get eliminated from the NRL play-offs

The Holden Kangaroos / Prime Minister’s XIII train-on squad is:

Matt Gillett - Brisbane Broncos

Corey Parker - Brisbane Broncos

Ben Hannant - Brisbane Broncos

Sam Thaiday - Brisbane Broncos

Brett Morris - St George Illawarra Dragons

Jarryd Hayne - Parramatta Eels

David Shillington - Canberra Raiders

Josh Papalii - Canberra Raiders

Jarrod Croker - Canberra Raiders

Josh McCrone - Canberra Raiders

Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers

David Taylor - Gold Coast Titans

Ryan James - Gold Coast Titans

Kevin Gordon - Gold Coast Titans

Aidan Sezer - Gold Coast Titans

Albert Kelly - Gold Coast Titans

Greg Bird - Gold Coast Titans

Nate Myles - Gold Coast Titans

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#1187 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

Most of the stuff I bought in 2008 was from the grounds. The organisers still have perhaps 6 weeks before the first game and a month during the tournament for this stuff. Might there be a delay while they sort out sponsors, who presumably want to see their names on the shirts?
I live the logo - we have such a beautiful trophy to play for, we should use it at every opportunity.

#1188 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

PNG players selected for trials, again more players will become available later

‘2013 Telikom PNG Kumuls’ World Cup Campaign’

Team Kumul Red vs Team Kumul Gold Game:

Team Kumul RED
1. Adex Wera
2. Gary Loh
3. Francis Paniu
4. Willie Minoga
5. George Benson
6. Roger Laka
7. Noel Zemming
8. Esau Siune
9. Wartovo Paura Jr
10. Petero Sunivalu
11. Sebastian Pandia
12. Larsen Marabe
13. Paul Aiton
14. Lawrence Tu’u
15. Elijah Riyong
16. Bernard Tatsim
17. Adam Korave

Team Kumul GOLD
1. Josiah Abavu
2. Thompson Teteh
3. Jason Tali
4. Israel Eliab
5. Tiger Emery
6. Jessie-Joe Nandye
7. Ase Boas
8. Joe Bruno
9. Charlie Wabo
10. Enoch Maki
11. Richard Kambo
12. Dion Aiye
13. David Loko
14. Mogi Wei
15. Wellington Albert
16. James Segeyaro
17. Gonzela Urakusie

Players unavailable:
David Mead
Tyson Martin
Nene Macdonald
Ray Thompson
Jason Chan
Neville Costigan
Menze Yere
Rhys Martin
Mark Mexico

Edited by flyingking, 09 September 2013 - 10:51 AM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#1189 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Reading the article again, it doesn't mention ticket sales for Wembley at all.

My apologies, I keep forgetting that Millennium is a double header as well... 

So anyway what do we think we have for the tournament so far for each venue? Some rough guesstimates for some of the venues: 

Millennium - 30K

Workington - 8K (x2)

Rochdale - 8K

Avignon - 13K

Limerick - 2.5K

Perpignan - 4K

The Gnoll - 3K

Wembley - 20K

Old Trafford - 45K

Posted Image

#1190 Chris22

Chris22
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

For the tournament to be considered successful, the big games need big crowds. 60K for Cardiff, 70K for Wembley and a sell out at Old Trafford are the minimum requirements. Hopefully the group games can draw some good crowds too. If we can draw crowds of around 10K to Headingly and Warrington, in addition to some of the good crowds at Rochdale and Neath etc, we will have the basis for a good tournament.

Not sure if it's being mentioned but here (http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/16658285) is a link to the BBC's coverage of the tournament. Glad to see there will be regular highlights shows. But only showing 1 SF and 1 QF and only 1 non-England game, is very disappointing. The cameras will already be there and they have rights to show further matches, and it's disappointing that they aren't taking up that option. I'd like to see them put some other matches on the red button or on BBC Three like they have done for other sports recently.

Some of the best games of previous WC's have involved the 'lesser' nations, so it's a shame the nation won't have the chance to see these with the exception of Premier Sports' small subscription base.

Edited by Chris22, 09 September 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#1191 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

I think the BBC have the balance right, and having had to make the most of the 2000 shambles, are justified in being cautious. It's a far cry from their much criticised 1995 coverage. Looking forward to signing up to Premier for the first time.

#1192 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

For the tournament to be considered successful, the big games need big crowds. 60K for Cardiff, 70K for Wembley and a sell out at Old Trafford are the minimum requirements. Hopefully the group games can draw some good crowds too. If we can draw crowds of around 10K to Headingly and Warrington, in addition to some of the good crowds at Rochdale and Neath etc, we will have the basis for a good tournament.

Not sure if it's being mentioned but here (http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/16658285) is a link to the BBC's coverage of the tournament. Glad to see there will be regular highlights shows. But only showing 1 SF and 1 QF and only 1 non-England game, is very disappointing. The cameras will already be there and they have rights to show further matches, and it's disappointing that they aren't taking up that option. I'd like to see them put some other matches on the red button or on BBC Three like they have done for other sports recently.

Some of the best games of previous WC's have involved the 'lesser' nations, so it's a shame the nation won't have the chance to see these with the exception of Premier Sports' small subscription base.

It seems strange that they don't even mention that they are covering the Wales v Italy opener.

#1193 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

It seems strange that they don't even mention that they are covering the Wales v Italy opener.

I don't know if they've edited the page, but the first paragraph says:

BBC Sport will broadcast live television and radio coverage of all of England's group matches in the Rugby League World Cup, plus Wales' match against Italy.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#1194 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

I don't know if they've edited the page, but the first paragraph says:

nah, I probably missed it. I was hoping the fact they had missed it might mean that there were other games they hadn't told us about. It looks like this is it for the BBC.

#1195 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Your free ticket for Ireland v Samoa wasn't from the Peter Wynn rugby store was it? I was in there on the way to the game and they gave me free tickets!

no....i went without a ticket and hoped to pay on the door....but before i could someone gave me a free ticket outside the ground lol

Edited by roughyedspud, 09 September 2013 - 02:10 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#1196 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

no....i went without a ticket and hoped to pay on the door....but before i could someone gave me a free ticket outside the ground lol

Was that the one in Parramatta? Have you still got your green wig? Think that's the only rugby league match I've been to where we travelled by ferry!

#1197 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

yep i went on the ferry too...

was you sat in the goal end? i was the lad that caught a pat richards goal attempt...then rifled it at "samoan" kids head who was acting the fool down at the front,just skimmed his afro....lmao.....just before they all started running on the pitch lol

Edited by roughyedspud, 09 September 2013 - 04:02 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#1198 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

given my last name is wynn....i could have got away with allsorts while in parramatta lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#1199 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

yep i went on the ferry too...

was you sat in the goal end? i was the lad that caught a pat richards goal attempt...then rifled it at "samoan" kids head who was acting the fool down at the front,just skimmed his afro....lmao.....just before they all started running on the pitch lol

I was at that match as well, and got free tickets from Peter Wynn Sports (as did the people I was with) when we bought loads of random shirts to take back with us (PNG for my brother, vintage 1980s Balmain shirt for me etc). We were sat on the side. I was, predictably, wearing my Sonics shirt - apparently we made the TV coverage (you could see us when Pat Richards was taking a kick from the touchline).

It was a good day, that - much better than all the England matches I attended, which by and large were thoroughly depressing.

In other news regarding the Bristol game:

1. The promotion is hotting up - the Sonics will be hosting some touch rugby on the closed streets of the city centre in October, with a big world cup stand with people handing out fliers, fixture lists etc
2. There will be a world cup stand at the Bristol half marathon this Sunday
3. More tickets have been sold for the Bristol game than some others, including one "traditional" RL hotbed (well, we say hotbed… it's up north at least)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#1200 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:14 PM