Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

RLWC2013 media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1685 replies to this topic

#1501 brooza

brooza
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Just seen that the group B programme doesn't include France v NZ or France v Samoa, so they must be getting their own programmes (presumaby by a company other than Programme Master)

Incidentally, you can preorder all the programmes for £40 (plus £5 for the preview issue)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#1502 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

beIN Sport will be broadcasting RLWC2013 matches in France. Not sure how important that is, but I think they were the broadcasters linked with a Toulouse entry in Super League. Good figures in the World Cup, can't harm any potential link up there.

#1503 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Sally Bolton on Radio Manchester says more tickets sold for Limerick than for Hull KR & 70% of tickets for Cardiff are sold to people outside the traditional areas.

#1504 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

beIN Sport will be broadcasting RLWC2013 matches in France. Not sure how important that is, but I think they were the broadcasters linked with a Toulouse entry in Super League. Good figures in the World Cup, can't harm any potential link up there.

hope their website is no guide - they have a rugby 13 part of the rugby section...and it has more union stories then league ones!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#1505 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Sally Bolton on Radio Manchester says more tickets sold for Limerick than for Hull KR & 70% of tickets for Cardiff are sold to people outside the traditional areas.

Hmm that might say more about sales at Hull Kr than it does for Limerick given that the Limerick game is one of the few where you can get an idea of ticket sales due to being able to see which seats have been sold via Ticketmaster and there doesn't appear to be tons sold at this stage (albeit terrace sales aren't possible to track). 

#1506 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

13,000 tickets sold for Avignon. For the Limerick game, they bid very strongly to get the game and Munster Union club were part of that consortium to bring the World Cup there. Each team in the World Cup will be having one open training session each week in the World Cup.

#1507 RLX111

RLX111
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Catalans dragons home games are broadcast by the station.Top team of presenters,NRL games each week and a magazine programme as well!Great link up.

#1508 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Apparently More corporate hospitality packages have been sold for this world cup than any other, according to a report on running rugby.com

Although i only imagine the last world cup would have had decent numbers for corporate sales.

The target for the volume of sales expected remains confidential but Running Rugby has been informed that it will be the “largest ever hospitality audience at a Rugby League World Cup” and sales are said to be gathering pace.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#1509 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Apparently More corporate hospitality packages have been sold for this world cup than any other, according to a report on running rugby.com

Although i only imagine the last world cup would have had decent numbers for corporate sales.

Good news. Though as you say, don't expect the bar had been set very high!

Saw something today too, that said the crowd for the 1972 World Cup final (the last high for our international team) was less than 5,000, so that puts this year's event into some kind of perspective. In rugby league terms it is looking like it will be a major success.

#1510 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,138 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

we need to remember that SWS - we should compare to our previous tournaments and look to make progress, not compare to other sports.

#1511 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

Saw something today too, that said the crowd for the 1972 World Cup final (the last high for our international team) was less than 5,000, so that puts this year's event into some kind of perspective. In rugby league terms it is looking like it will be a major success.

That was one of my first memories of international rugby league, the game being played in front of huge empty terraces.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#1512 parklandswolf

parklandswolf
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

4 of of us off to Limerick, dog racing Friday night, golf Sat then the match. Also up 30 of us goin St Helens from my local and not got tickects yet, like alot of RL fans.

#1513 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

There are few more powerful images in the history of our game, for me, than Sullivan's wonderful try in front of a near-empty stadium.

Edited by Just Browny, 26 September 2013 - 10:04 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#1514 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hmm that might say more about sales at Hull Kr than it does for Limerick given that the Limerick game is one of the few where you can get an idea of ticket sales due to being able to see which seats have been sold via Ticketmaster and there doesn't appear to be tons sold at this stage (albeit terrace sales aren't possible to track). 

As it stands from what we can see, 2,589 of the 6,925 seats available on the open side (East Stand) of Thomand Park have been sold.  The GA area in front of that stand can hold around 3,000.. 

Unless they are letting tour groups sell into the West Stand, I agree with Nathan, the statement by Sally wasn't very encouraging...

Posted Image

#1515 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

As it stands from what we can see, 2,589 of the 6,925 seats available on the open side (East Stand) of Thomand Park have been sold.  The GA area in front of that stand can hold around 3,000.. 

Unless they are letting tour groups sell into the West Stand, I agree with Nathan, the statement by Sally wasn't very encouraging...

The 2000 World Cup opened in Belfast in front of a crowd of 3207, 1782 and 3164 were the two other crowds in Ireland at that World Cup. That gives you some idea of what rugby league has previously achieved in Ireland.

#1516 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

The 2000 World Cup opened in Belfast in front of a crowd of 3207, 1782 and 3164 were the two other crowds in Ireland at that World Cup. That gives you some idea of what rugby league has previously achieved in Ireland.

Oh understand that Ireland has never drawn big crowds before, with the current known Limerick crowd being in the top 5 crowds drawn in the country for an international of all time and the match on track to set a new record.

Was more worried about Hull if Limerick is supposedly selling better than it.
Posted Image

#1517 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hmm that might say more about sales at Hull Kr

I have visions of having the new stand at HKR all to ourselves for PNG v France. It only appeared on the website a couple of weeks ago.
People called Romans they go the house

#1518 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

The gate was given  as 4500, played at Stade de Gerland, Lyon.

#1519 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,623 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Just got my tickets for the Wembley semi in the post. Complaining on here clearly works!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#1520 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Impressed by the photos posted on Facebook today of how the opening ceremony will look.

Am at a wedding that day, but the over/under for the number of times I sneak out to get a peak of the telly is 17.5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users