Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull City Council close Library to save annual rent of £85,000.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

So, who owns the building that the library was situated in?

Well, Hull City Council actually. :rolleyes:

http://www.thisishul...tail/story.html

What an absolute farce.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

it all stems from the internal accounting rules set up by a certain government years ago, if one department works in a building 'owned' by another department then you have to have an over paid bunch of accountants to prove that the council paid proper rent to itself and wasn't treating itself favourably by renting its own buildings to itself for nothing.

Strangley the same government didn't apply the same rules regarding rent backs to private businesses using it is a tax fiddle.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Local government accountancy rules were ridiculous for many years, but towards the latter end of my time there... I left in 1998 ... they became much more flexible. I'd have thought that the true savings on closing the library come on staffing, heating, transport, archiving etc. The rent argument may be just a filibuster.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

For once, I agree with Padge on a political issue. See BBC explanation from 2002 about how this works.

#5 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

So, who owns the building that the library was situated in?

Well, Hull City Council actually. :rolleyes:

http://www.thisishul...tail/story.html

What an absolute farce.

We have spent a lot of money improving and extending the Western Library in the Boulevard, which is quite close, so I don't believe people will suffer from closing the library at the stadium.

Back to the Boulevard it is then.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#6 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Shame
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#7 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Back to the Boulevard it is then.

If only I'd thought of that as a headline...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users