Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Players who were a waste of a Quota place

and two minute wonders

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Well after flicking through my collection of programmes, and I would have said I had an encyclopaedic knowledge of players who have graced Bulls/Northerns first team, I came across a name I couldn't remember. In 1993/4 we had a player who played one game for us Fa'amsulu Afoa (spl) or something along them lines. He went on to play for Penrith.

Anywho it got me thinking of players who have been here one minute and back overseas the next or were just a waste of a quota place. Here's my Bradford Bull's List

Phil Howlett - Not a bad player but joined us for the back end of a season and that was it, in the late 90's. Why? Two Minute Wonder.

Michael Hogue - Solid prop who managed just a handful of games if that before being shipped to Paris. Waste of a Quota place

Hudson Smith - Former Salford player who struggled to make an impact for the Bulls. Could have been good. Waste of a quota place

Eugene Bourneville - Signed whilst Northern was on the up in the 90's and helped us to a mid place finish. Played two seasons for what appeared to be his only pro club.........ever. Waste of a spot.

Nick Zisti - The legend that is. Qualifies for both! What happened I don't know. He could have been a world beater. Waste of a quota spot/two minute wonder.

I'm sure there are more in the vaults.

Edited by Mumby Magic, 01 December 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#2 Rawschach

Rawschach
  • Coach
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Dallas mead at wire, always remember that one. Wigan had a few, Koloi, Brady Malam??? Saints got the wrong Adamson. Leeds had some like Mathiou, Clark etc

Hudson Smith was annoying, at times he looked top drawer but never seemed to do it often enough. Didn't he retire young and go travelling?

Bourneville, had forgotten about him. Very average.

Zisti was good for Mariners, was excited when he signed......

Suspect worrincys oz club's fans had a thread like this.

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

All I recall of Hudson Smith is he had size 14 feet or something.

Howlett looked decent and can't recall why he didn't stay...Canberra?

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Doc Murray at Wigan and Shem tatupu also at Wigan.

#5 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

to many to list at headingley but will make do with ben walker
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#6 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Don't know how far back you are going, but Terry Holmes must be up there.

#7 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Don't know how far back you are going, but Terry Holmes must be up there.

dont think the import quota inclued welshmen but maybe it should do
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Mark Carroll at London broncos, came with a big wrap as the Aussies would say and tame tupou at Bradford, a poor mans Lesley vainikolo.

#9 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Jeff Wittenburg for the Bulls is another. I think it was Matty Elliot who signed him describing the catch as like being hit up the ###### by a rainbow. How wrong he was.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#10 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Blake Cavenna - Widnes 2003, don't think he even played a game

#11 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

to many to list at headingley but will make do with ben walker

Another should have been player. Great that is.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#12 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Dallas mead at wire, always remember that one.

This always comes up. He signed a one year deal, and in his first (or was it second?) game he got a knee injury which finished his season. He went back home to have the operation done. A bit harsh to say he was a waste of a quota space. If it wasn't for the injury, well who knows...

#13 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

What year was the overseas quota introduced?

#14 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Bournville was good to watch. Right firework.

I'd have to have Shane Rigon and Justin Brooker on that list.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#15 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

Willie mason.

#16 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'd have to have Shane Rigon and Justin Brooker on that list.

I seem to remember Nobby (on TV) going on that he'd virtually had to smuggle Rigon out of Aus he was that good
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

at widnes the top of the list is occupied by the legend that was owen craigie, played a couple of games and destroyed bradford on his own and then.........................buggered off back to oz at the first opportunity.

followed closely by david peachey, in his time a world class performer but disappeared after a cold night in barrow..............

blake cannova, came third, he never played a game for us in 2002 but made himself a name by robbing his team mates pockets and disappearing.......

anthony watts is fourth, after watching the karalius cup game at langtree last season we couldn't wait to see him in league action, and we did for 40 minutes against salford. last seen in handcuffs strapped to a stretcher in oz.....

and in fifth spot we had the legend kyle white, brother of the london bronco's star josh white, but arguably the worst player i have seen in a widnes shirt....he is only 5th because we were ###### back then but kyle was shiter than ######
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

I remember Salford signed Paul Carige, the blond bombsite. After everone realised he always stepped to his right after taking the ball, that seemed to exhaust all his evasive options.

Edited by Futtocks, 03 December 2012 - 10:21 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Never backed down in a fight. I liked him.

I thought Jeff Wittenburg was pretty good too. He never incresed his pace above a trot, which was why a lot of fans didn't like him, but he always got five yards and dragged a couple of tacklers with him to the floor.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#20 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Doc Murray at Wigan and Shem tatupu also at Wigan.

And also at Wigan I'll add David Vieliki (not sure how it was spelt)