and two minute wonders

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Tame Tupou was another at the Bulls. Felt sorry for him, as he was never going to live up to Vainikolo, but he was essentially a waste of a place at the club
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#22 landy13

landy13
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Suprised no one has mentioned Matt Orford, so much more than a waste of a quota place!!

Logan Swann came with lots of expectation, and sadly didn't deliver

Not sure if Glenn Tomlinson was on the quota when he was at the bulls (or if he'd lived here long enough to come off it) but he didn't produce the goods at Bradford, a batley Legend but for what ever reason it didn't work at Bradford
www.matchdayphotography.com

#23 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

and the message here is..... stop signing overseas sh*te

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#24 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

after his first season many wigan fans would have put pat richards on this list, but look what happens when a good player is given a chance.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

after his first season many wigan fans would have put pat richards on this list, but look what happens when a good player is given a chance.

See also Matt King at Warrington.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

add rhys hanbury to that list as well was widnes best player last season.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#27 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hudson Smith- Was so homesick that once released from his contract he signed for Bradford. Good business for Salford.

I give you the biggest waste of a team spot overseas or not

Mark Corvo- suppose to be a Bronco first teamer, once took a tap penalty on Wakefiled's line, only had to flop over the line and he managed to knock on.

In the same team was that other Aussie superstar Paul Carridge, nothing I can say will describe this guy, not sure the Parra fans have forgiven him yet for the grand final.

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

I thought Swann did a very good job when he came to Warrington.

#29 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

so did i...............

#30 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Suprised no one has mentioned Matt Orford, so much more than a waste of a quota place!!

Not sure if Glenn Tomlinson was on the quota when he was at the bulls (or if he'd lived here long enough to come off it) but he didn't produce the goods at Bradford, a batley Legend but for what ever reason it didn't work at Bradford

Orford wasn't a waste of a quota place in the same way as the others on this thread. A top class player whatever happened.

Swann was a big disappointment for me although we played him at 13 and he just wasn't mobile enough. When he played second row he looked very capable - I thought he was alright given the circumstances. Tomlinson was very good for us, just the player we needed at the time alongside Robbie, right at the start of SL. I'd say he did exactly what we needed him to, then moved him on when the level went up.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#31 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

and the message here is..... stop signing overseas sh*te

Aye lad. There's plenty o sh*te over here...

#32 northernrob

northernrob
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

I'd have to disagree with Terry Holmes being a waste. Even though we made the long journey to Swinton to see the first dislocation and saw the second in a A Team game (was it foggy or is that just my memory).
After the shoulder operation he played his part - that long pass was great and he must have given some pointers about pushing at the scrum. You younger fans won't know what that means !

#33 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Doc Murray at Wigan and Shem tatupu also at Wigan.

To many, Doc Murray was one of the finest signings ever made by Wigan
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#34 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Came across another today in the form of Basil Ake for Northern. I seem to think he saw service with York but didn't play too many times with us. Anyone? :huh:

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#35 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Former all black full back John Gallagher at Leeds, not sure if he was counted on the quota as he was born in London?

#36 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Former all black full back John Gallagher at Leeds, not sure if he was counted on the quota as he was born in London?

He was on the quota of Leeds Rubbish Antipodeans. They always had at least one in the team. Disappointingly, they don't seem to have one at the moment. Brett Delaney showed discrete promise but then he spoiled it all by getting good at the back end of last season.

Hetherington, try harder will you. You're messing with the game's noble traditions.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,603 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

He was on the quota of Leeds Rubbish Antipodeans. They always had at least one in the team. Disappointingly, they don't seem to have one at the moment. Brett Delaney showed discrete promise but then he spoiled it all by getting good at the back end of last season.

Hetherington, try harder will you. You're messing with the game's noble traditions.

Has Ben Cross been forgotten already?
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#38 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Has Ben Cross been forgotten already?

I think he played okay against us for Widnes.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#39 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

This always comes up. He signed a one year deal, and in his first (or was it second?) game he got a knee injury which finished his season. He went back home to have the operation done. A bit harsh to say he was a waste of a quota space. If it wasn't for the injury, well who knows...

He‘s a professional wrestler now in New Zealand.

Cummins Out.

#40 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Dane Dorahy, Lee Finnerty but the winner must be Anthony Seuseu who managed to even struggled at reserve grade. How he ever got to make an appearance in the NRL I will never know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users