RLEF media release

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

The 2013 Rugby League European Bowl will feature the Czech Republic, Norway and Ukraine with the biggest ever prize attached for the victors. The winning nation will be promoted to the 2014-15 European Shield.

Played annually since 2008, the Bowl reverts back to the triangular format used in 2009, when Ukraine won on their only appearance. They open proceedings on 6th July at home to Norway.

"The Bowl will be the first official European championship since rugby league became an accredited sport in Ukraine," said national team coach Artur Martyrosyan. "This means that our team has an even greater responsibility; besides the commitment to our fans we have the expectations entrusted to us by the state's administrative resources."

The Czech Republic have won the Bowl for the last two years, beating Hungary XIII both times, while Norway lost to Malta in 2010 on their debut in official RLEF competition. All three countries see the tournament as a key part of their progression and a chance to test each other against previously unknown opponents.

Warren Heilig, the head of Norwegian rugby league, is equally focused. "Rugby League Norge is enormously proud to take part in the 2013 European Bowl. We know the step up in class will be a tough assignment for our boys but that the guys will rise to the occasion. It would be an unbelievable feat to make the European Shield."

The Norwegians play two games on successive weekends, while the Czech defending champions complete the fixtures hosting Ukraine in late September.

"The CZRLA is greatly looking forward to defending the European Bowl against very strong opposition in 2013," noted head coach Andy Mulhall. "This provides a great opportunity for our national team players to measure their development and experience a higher level of competition then they have previously been exposed to. Next season will see an expansion once again in Czech domestic Rugby League participation and activity and the incentive of playing in the Bowl for our top stars is a big one."

GAME 1 - 6 JULY 2013
UKRAINE v NORWAY, Dinamo Stadium, Kharkov, Ukraine

GAME 2 - 13 JULY 2013
NORWAY v CZECH REPUBLIC, Bislett Stadium, Oslo, Norway

GAME 3 - 29 SEPTEMBER 2013
CZECH REPUBLIC V UKRAINE, Municipal Stadium, Vrchlabi, Czech Republic

PHIL CAPLAN
RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

Edited by Honor James, 02 December 2012 - 11:15 AM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

That's great news.

What about Serbia, Russia, Germany, Holland, Denmark and Malta. How do they fit into the European international jigsaw. Are they in the Shield or in nothing. Poland also just established a team. Is there a level for them to compete at?. It's all very promising but I can't quite figure out the hierachal standings of the various teams. Also, what about Lebanon?. Although I guess they are in Asia, surely we shouldn't leave them to stagnate and just play in RLWC qualifiers every four years? They should be included in European competitions so they can progress like the others are doing.

#3 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

would be a good idea to have a team from the championship involved playing under say england champinship instead of it being sl players that get picked all the time ??? would give players from the championship something to aim for am sure the would compete with some of the lesser well known teams in europe

#4 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

What about Serbia, Russia, Germany, Holland, Denmark and Malta. How do they fit into the European international jigsaw. Are they in the Shield or in nothing. Poland also just established a team. Is there a level for them to compete at?. It's all very promising but I can't quite figure out the hierachal standings of the various teams. Also, what about Lebanon?. Although I guess they are in Asia, surely we shouldn't leave them to stagnate and just play in RLWC qualifiers every four years? They should be included in European competitions so they can progress like the others are doing.

Serbia, Russia, Germany and Italy are in the European Shield. The Netherlands does not have a team. Denmark will be playing in the Scandanavian Cup against Sweden and Norway. Poland are not at the stage where they are ready to play international matches. Lebanon will probably be in the MENA competition again. I don't know about Malta, they will probably organize their own fixtures if they have any.

would be a good idea to have a team from the championship involved playing under say england champinship instead of it being sl players that get picked all the time ??? would give players from the championship something to aim for am sure the would compete with some of the lesser well known teams in europe

No, apart from anything else these matches are played in summer while the Championship season is taking place.

Edited by Evil Homer, 02 December 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#5 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

or is it the championship team might do better than the full sl england team

#6 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

or is it the championship team might do better than the full sl england team

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Ukraine v Norway or Norway v Czech R sound tempting.

Never been to any of those countries, and I did enjoy my Scandanavian RL trip earlier in the year...

Saying that, a trip to the home of the Mad Squirrels in the run up to the RLWC is also tempting me!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

If you choose Norway, then start saving now-it makes Denmark look cheap! Travel to Ukraine is now visa free but Kharkiv is a tricky destination to reach, involving either a lengthy sleeper train journey from Kiev or risking the rather dodgy services provided by Air Ukraine. The airline is certified by the USA Federal Aviation authority as being Category 2, ie does not comply with International Civil Aviation standards,(eek!). The crazy rodents option is growing more appealing by the minute. If you do decide on the Ukraine option, do let me know and I can provide you with some travel website links to help you plan your trip.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users