RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Topic! 50 years on.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

OK, I took Bryce's advice and started a new topic!
Since this is the 50th anniversary of the 62-63 Championship season, what does everyone want to see to commemorate this great feat?
Some ideas:
Return to M27.
Adopt Blue Monkey's jersey suggestions.
Dinner similar to the 5 Cups one.
Commemorative match as close to the day the Championship was clinched.
Also, is there enough video in the public domain to release a DVD? Then we can start the discussion about the dumbing down of RL with some evidence to look at! :D
Posted Image

#2 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

For me it has to be the stadium.

#3 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'll put money on it this thread descends into an argument about the squad and the stadium not being built. Lol
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#4 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

I'll put money on it this thread descends into an argument about the squad and the stadium not being built. Lol

I don't agree Barnie!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#5 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Would be great if the planning permission went in before Christmas.Would be the best present ever for any Swinton fan.

#6 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Swinton were on the tele several times in the early sixties, the most notable was a cup match against Featherstone Rovers where all the match was televised. This was either 1960 or 1961, and was i think on grandstand. The lions had just signed a centre from Widnes called Mcgillycuddy and it was his first match. Have the BBC or ITV got the film or anybody else for that matter, and does anyone know how to go about approaching the two companies to see if they have the film. By the way the Lions hammered the Rovers.

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm with duffymoon

#8 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Would be great if the planning permission went in before Christmas.Would be the best present ever for any Swinton fan.

I think we'll all second that one. Roll on some really ho! ho! ho! news.

#9 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I think we'll all second that one. Roll on some really ho! ho! ho! news.

Well at least we agree on summat Keith!

See you at the launch!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#10 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

The problem with Swinton being televised by the BBC is they regularly taped over RL matches as Video tape was so expensive then, I think you would be lucky to have any BBC footage at all, I think your best bet would be private collectors of Pathe films
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users