League Express

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

The only bad thing about the front cover of League Express is that it is three soccer players rather than real sportspeople, such as Olympic/Paralympic medalists. Pity it had to be three soccer players. Makes us look a bit desperate. But perhaps we are!

Anyway, as for the poll, I put Leuluai because he was a fabulous player and critical for Wigan long before Tomkins came on the scene. As a Saints fan I'm glad he has gone because whenever we played Wigan we could guarantee that Leuluai would cause us problems, even in the days when Wigan were pants. He would always up his game against us. But even though he played for Wigan, he was a player I really respected.

#22 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

How are soccer players not sports people? Fair enough a small minority of them have poor lifestyles, but to become a premier league footballer takes a hell of a lot of dedication. How does it make us look desperate with 3 of the most recognisable sportsmen in the uk on the front of our paper?

#23 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

This thread is rugby league fans in a nutshell.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

How are soccer players not sports people? Fair enough a small minority of them have poor lifestyles, but to become a premier league footballer takes a hell of a lot of dedication. How does it make us look desperate with 3 of the most recognisable sportsmen in the uk on the front of our paper?

Completely agree. They aren't just any old players either but possibly the 3 most recognisable too. Certainly Rooney is. Its no mean achievement to get the pic at all.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

If three of the most recognisable players from one of the biggest sporting clubs in the entire world is now considered "desperate" I really do despair. If it had been three reserve players who only ever get on in the league cup against league 2 opposition it might be close to having a point...

Edited by Amber Avenger, 06 December 2012 - 09:24 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#26 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

advised to miss the test and go missing for 48 hours to allow the charlie to get out of his system, an 8 month ban was deemed better than a 2 year ban foe a current england international. at least RL is honest and up front about drug cheats regardless of who they are............

OK. Have i missed something here or are you seriously out on a limb here? I have never even seen the allegations you're making before let alone any evidence to support them. In fact there is much, so far as i was aware, that would directly contradict them.

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Eek. Back to Tomkins or Sinfield this Monday then.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

This thread is hilarious!

I looked at the front page and thought "Thats a good picture, great publicity for the game and the World Cup". Nothing more, nothing less. Why it gets over analysed is beyond me.

Think Rio posted this picture on twitter to millions of followers, the three of them made the sports pages in Australia discussing Rugby League and how the dressing room is split at OT over who each of them supports.

Its all publicity! Its great! Its the thing everyone keeps moaning that the RFL never do! So embrace it! Similar to Leeds and the Kevin Sinfield day, its about creating as much media interest, buzz, hype about the game and its stars.

#29 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Lovely stuff this thread. Really lovely stuff.
Posted Image

#30 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

It's fine. I thought it was an alright idea. My only slight concern was those who just pick-up the paper from the shelf may've missed it by mistake with it being overtly another sport. But then thay may not have happened at all.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Eek. Back to Tomkins or Sinfield this Monday then.

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

Edited by hindle xiii, 10 December 2012 - 04:38 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

They must be getting pretty desperate if they are putting RL players on the front of the paper again! ;)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

This thread is rugby league fans in a nutshell.

100% spot on. Un-#####-believable. :rolleyes:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users