• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

It's character building.

Ever been to Luton? Stevenage? Just the same.

Just now, when I said that Slough was the worst place I'd ever visited. It was because I'd blacked Luton out of my mind completely.

Something I notice about Southerners is the comedy Northerner routine that they like to put on when they find out where you're from. I always smile indulgently at them as they go "Ooop North. Has thou a whippet?" and so on, because I know they live in Luton and they have to find some escape somewhere.

That's me.  I'm done.

#62 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have also spent a lot of time recently in Guildford. It is a ######. It has no redeeming features whatsoever.

I went there once and it was shut.

LUNEW.jpg

#63 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'd be quite happy for the South to cut us off. We could perhaps make common cause with the Scots then. Perhaps we could withdraw all our men of the Scottish Regiments and the Yorkshire Regiment from Afghanistan and let the Southerners carry some of that burden, because I can't speak for the Scots but there have seemed to be a disporportionate number of Yorkshire lads getting themselves killed lately.
We could cut off their power too. Most of the coal fired stations are in the Aire and Trent valleys. Many of the gas fired ones are on Humberside. Perhaps we could get rid of the Royals at the same time. For once I find myself agreeing with Kelvin McKenzie. (they can keep him too!)
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#64 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Actually, I quite like Littleborough ... they had the foresight to use Yorkshire stone for most of its town centre buildings.
:)

Yorkshire Stone ??? There is plenty of Millstone Grit in Lancashire, particularly in and around Rochdale.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#65 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

Just now, when I said that Slough was the worst place I'd ever visited. It was because I'd blacked Luton out of my mind completely.

Something I notice about Southerners is the comedy Northerner routine that they like to put on when they find out where you're from. I always smile indulgently at them as they go "Ooop North. Has thou a whippet?" and so on, because I know they live in Luton and they have to find some escape somewhere.

I can't think of anything positive to say about Luton and I've spent several hours trying to think of something.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#66 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

I'd be quite happy for the South to cut us off.

As a born and bred southerner please don't lump me in with the South East of England. As someone blessed with a Wiltshire/West Country accent I'm as foreign as the north to them.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#67 heartofGold

heartofGold
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

As a born and bred southerner please don't lump me in with the South East of England. As someone blessed with a Wiltshire/West Country accent I'm as foreign as the north to them.

If it makes you feel any better I get my accent ripped every day by my work colleagues (especially the one who sits next to me who comes from Warrington). She is trying her hardest to teach me how to say milk and sandwich properly (miwk and saaamwige). Being from saaaf eass landan I'm the only member of staff not allowed to record the answer phone message :(.

As for Luton the only thing I could come up with is they do provide a very good circumcision service. As a surgery we send all our parents requesting this for their babies there.

oy shked helwa el horiya

#68 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,836 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

I don't buy this 'unfriendly southerners' line either, I've met many great people in London boozers, not least the last time England played Aus at Wembley.

People are the same all over the country, most sound as a pound, a few miserable sods and a small minority of pricks.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#69 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Seconded. The south west feel the same about the south east as northerners do about 'the south'.
Fides invicta triumphat

#70 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Agreed, Johnoco, plus Guildford was a fine place for the 7 years I spent there until 1999. Clearly my departure has had a negative effect as Steve May has discovered. Sure Rogues bar has gone but The Angel Hotel and other good restaurants are still there,.and its so close to Shere etc etc.

#71 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Actually, I quite like Littleborough ... they had the foresight to use Yorkshire stone for most of its town centre buildings.
:)

Because it's slightly thicker than Lancashire stone.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#72 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't buy this 'unfriendly southerners' line either, I've met many great people in London boozers, not least the last time England played Aus at Wembley.

People are the same all over the country, most sound as a pound, a few miserable sods and a small minority of pricks.

I agree, I've even met some decent folk in pubs in Cardiff ;)
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#73 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Shhh! The northern monkeys are all having a whinge.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#74 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,836 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

I agree, I've even met some decent folk in pubs in Cardiff ;)

Ah...that.... ;)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#75 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

It's personal choice insofar as you need a job and your salary dictates where you can afford to live.

Complete nonsense. By your own rationale, people resident in Yourkshire and lancashire but working in London do so because wages in Lancs & Yorks are not enough to live on. Salary in the UK dictates your lifestyle noty your ability to live. How many people on this forum have taken a new job that required greater travelling distance but better prospects and financial rewards ?

"Relatively local" varies a lot. In the South East people spend a lot of time commuting, more than we do in the north.

The stats available contradict what you say. Latest studies state average commute is 77 minutes per day which is 13 more minutes than the UK average. Particularly given incoming intercity arriving before 10:00 are typically full by the time they get south of Birmingham or West of Reading or North East of Chelmsford. Going in the opposite direction they look like a ghost train. The reverse occurs after 16:00.

The thing is that Londoners are always telling me how there are so many great things in London but they never go to these things. I have.

So who goes to these events? Must be Expat Northerners in London? Would these be the same people who cannot be bothered to watch the Broncos when it is the best value and cheapest pro elite sport in London they would rather watch the game on TV in a pub.

Why are there so many folk from the South East living in Leeds?

The only ones I met have been people who returned to Leeds after working in London for a number of years. The others were students.

You have still not defined what you mean by quality of life. It means different things to different people.

In terms of quality of life you do realise only one city in the UK made the top 50 cities for QOL and guess which it was. No city place in Northern England made the rankings, Scottish cities made it on the list as did Dublin. In terms of infrastructure London is one of the top ranked cities in world.

#76 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Complete nonsense. By your own rationale, people resident in Yourkshire and lancashire but working in London do so because wages in Lancs & Yorks are not enough to live on. Salary in the UK dictates your lifestyle noty your ability to live. How many people on this forum have taken a new job that required greater travelling distance but better prospects and financial rewards ?

The stats available contradict what you say. Latest studies state average commute is 77 minutes per day which is 13 more minutes than the UK average. Particularly given incoming intercity arriving before 10:00 are typically full by the time they get south of Birmingham or West of Reading or North East of Chelmsford. Going in the opposite direction they look like a ghost train. The reverse occurs after 16:00.

So who goes to these events? Must be Expat Northerners in London? Would these be the same people who cannot be bothered to watch the Broncos when it is the best value and cheapest pro elite sport in London they would rather watch the game on TV in a pub.

The only ones I met have been people who returned to Leeds after working in London for a number of years. The others were students.

You have still not defined what you mean by quality of life. It means different things to different people.

In terms of quality of life you do realise only one city in the UK made the top 50 cities for QOL and guess which it was. No city place in Northern England made the rankings, Scottish cities made it on the list as did Dublin. In terms of infrastructure London is one of the top ranked cities in world.

When you see figures quoted like £2,731 per head being spent on improving transport infrastructure in London, as opposed to £5 per head in the North East England region, then it's little wonder.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#77 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Now that is nonsense. London is about the only place where you can have a job but not afford to live there. Leeds certainly isn't like that.

Source?

Tourists.

Source?

If by infrastructure you mean transport then you must be kidding. Milan has a far better underground system. Even Bucharest is better.

#78 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

There are people like that but offices in London are incredibly unfriendly, impersonal places. People simply do not talk to each other. Pubs can be another matter.

#79 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

http://www.dailymail...owns-south.html

Top five towns all in the north. None of the top ten in the south east.

Nine of the top 10 unhappiest places in the south east.

But what would I know?

#80 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2100600/Happiness-survey-Finds-9-10-unhappiest-towns-south.html

Top five towns all in the north. None of the top ten in the south east.

Nine of the top 10 unhappiest places in the south east.

But what would I know?

Swindon in joint 11th and above O****d. RESULT!!!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users