TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Conferences or SL1 SL2. Scottish football seizes the initiative.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Scottish Football today voted to increase the size of their premier league to 24 clubs which would be split into two divisions of 12. The chairman of the SPL, ironically a Mr Doncaster, talked about the need to give a greater share of the league revenues to more teams. There would also be p and r from the 18 clubs left out of the 24.

I have proposed similar schemes for RL before and had the idea rejected out of hand. It seems that Scottish football thinks it is a feasible proposition. They recognise the inequities of their present set up and are moving to a model that is of benefit to ALL of the scottish Football League clubs.

Mr Doncaster had the following to say

"We now have the opportunity to sit down with the rest of Scottish football, with the remaining 18 Scottish Football League clubs, in fact all the Scottish Football League clubs, with the Scottish FA and how we might try to agree a package that works for everyone for the benefit of Scottish football.

"We understand that there needs to be a lot of redistribution from the biggest clubs and that is something the clubs in principle bought into today."

The commitee looking at the re organisation of RL should note and take this into account when planning the future of RL.

In my opinion, like the Scottish Football League, we should be looking to increase the number of clubs sitting at our top table and not looking at reducing even further the size of our top division and only admitting new clubs once every blue moon.

I know the big issue is how to pay for such plans but, at the very least, we ought to put the idea on the table.

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

DO NOT even think about using Scottish football as a template for how rugby league should organise itself.

Ever!!!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Scottish Football today voted to increase the size of their premier league to 24 clubs which would be split into two divisions of 12. The chairman of the SPL, ironically a Mr Doncaster, talked about the need to give a greater share of the league revenues to more teams. There would also be p and r from the 18 clubs left out of the 24.

I have proposed similar schemes for RL before and had the idea rejected out of hand. It seems that Scottish football thinks it is a feasible proposition. They recognise the inequities of their present set up and are moving to a model that is of benefit to ALL of the scottish Football League clubs.

"We now have the opportunity to sit down with the rest of Scottish football, with the remaining 18 Scottish Football League clubs, in fact all the Scottish Football League clubs, with the Scottish FA and how we might try to agree a package that works for everyone for the benefit of Scottish football.

"We understand that there needs to be a lot of redistribution from the biggest clubs and that is something the clubs in principle bought into today."

The commitee looking at the re organisation of RL should note and take this into account when planning the future of RL.

In my opinion, like the Scottish Football League, we should be looking to increase the number of clubs sitting at our top table and not looking at reducing even further the size of our top division and only admitting new clubs once every blue moon.

I know the big issue is how to pay for such plans but, at the very least, we ought to put the idea on the table.

Was it a recent RFL meeting you proposed this at?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Oh. Okay. The NFL use conferences, as do the NBA, as do the NHL, as do MLS. Let us look at their models then.

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Was it a recent RFL meeting you proposed this at?

I wish, but no, unfortunately, it was only on this lowly forum.

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/doncaster--is-part-of-scotland--after-900-year-old-administrative-error-comes-to-light.html
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

DO NOT even think about using Scottish football as a template for how rugby league should organise itself.

Ever!!!

+1

#8 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

http://uk.news.yahoo...s-to-light.html

Would make a fine addition to the SPL!

#9 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ever!!!

Bradford seemed to be using Rangers as a template last season.

Edited by flyingking, 03 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#10 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/doncaster--is-part-of-scotland--after-900-year-old-administrative-error-comes-to-light.html

In a certain NW city where they speak like St Helensers, they only tend to nick hubcaps off cars. Is that problem endemic in Donny? How do they move the trains?

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Bradford seemed to be using Rangers as a template last season.

You do realise how much debt Rangers actually owed?

#12 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Oh. Okay. The NFL use conferences, as do the NBA, as do the NHL, as do MLS. Let us look at their models then.

Thats because the USA/Canada is huge. Scotland, however, is not.

Cummins Out.

#13 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

There are only two clubs capable of winning the league in Scotland and currently one of those isn't even in the right league to do so. So for the next two/three years it is a certainty that Celtic will win the league. I cannot think of any competition in any sport anywhere in the world where there is a greater certainty of outcome than the Scottish top division. And, they don't even want to be there and would jump ship at the earliest opportunity.
Not really an example we should follow.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

It is as far as I know.

Andy Gatcliffe stated that they will be discussing the structure of SL, and his personal preference is 2 divisions of 10 for SL. There was a huge thread on here about it.

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thats because the USA/Canada is huge. Scotland, however, is not.

Certainly one of the reasons thay have conferences in the USA is the size of the country. The other point about them is that you can get more clubs in the league.

One of the problems with p and r is the fate of the relegated team and the fact that they might destroy years of positive progress because of one bad season on the field.

The beauty of conferences or dual leagues is that you can add to the league without removing anybody. If the divisions get too big then you split into three conferences instead of two.

Thus in RL , given they meet the criteria, Leigh, Featherstone, Halifax, Sheffield, Toulouse or down the road a Cumbrian franchise or a midlands team or a Welsh team could be admitted to SL and there is no need to remove any of the existing teams. Just thinking off the cuff without really checking the numbers you could have an Eastern Division, a Western Division and a Southern/French/ Welsh division.

I think that is what they are looking at for the Scottish League plus there is a suggestion that they might do some form of revenue sharing so you don't get the huge disparity between Celtic, previously Rangers, and the rest of the league.

I think parity is good. For instance, if revenue sharing enabled Salford to seriously compete with Wigan, Saints and the other big boys, a Salford V Wigan fixture with a top two place at stake should sell out Salford City Stadium and get a large TV audience rather then the mediocrity of that fixture as of now.Everybody, including Wigan who had initially had to share a little wealth , would benefit. The reverse fixture at DW should pull in 18 to 20 thousand instead of 14 .

I don't know how the Scottish League intend to finance this expansion of their top division. That will be the critical element and has always been the main stumbling block to any such exspansionary schemes in RL.

I just thought it was interesting that a league, which in many ways mirrors RL, in that it has a few huge teams, some middle level teams and some wannabes is looking to implement an expanded dual league system. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

So they're completely restructuring the league setup to get Rangers back to the top?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

So they're completely restructuring the league setup to get Rangers back to the top?

No, it will be the top twenty-four at the time of the re-org.

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Certainly one of the reasons thay have conferences in the USA is the size of the country. The other point about them is that you can get more clubs in the league.

Why not have one big league - just don't play every other team home and away. ;)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Ever!!!

I see the NCL as the equivalents to the SJFA ... I think we can make this work ...
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

You do realise how much debt Rangers actually owed?

Now they've won their tax case - not all that much, actually. They probably didn't need to go bust.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"