League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Conferences or SL1 SL2. Scottish football seizes the initiative.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 811 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

You know what I mean. Besides, it ain't over yet HMRC are challenging the ruling.

And isn't it only one of the HMRC cases?

#42 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Scottish Football today voted to increase the size of their premier league to 24 clubs which would be split into two divisions of 12. The chairman of the SPL, ironically a Mr Doncaster, talked about the need to give a greater share of the league revenues to more teams. There would also be p and r from the 18 clubs left out of the 24.

I have proposed similar schemes for RL before and had the idea rejected out of hand. It seems that Scottish football thinks it is a feasible proposition. They recognise the inequities of their present set up and are moving to a model that is of benefit to ALL of the scottish Football League clubs.

Mr Doncaster had the following to say

"We now have the opportunity to sit down with the rest of Scottish football, with the remaining 18 Scottish Football League clubs, in fact all the Scottish Football League clubs, with the Scottish FA and how we might try to agree a package that works for everyone for the benefit of Scottish football.

"We understand that there needs to be a lot of redistribution from the biggest clubs and that is something the clubs in principle bought into today."

The commitee looking at the re organisation of RL should note and take this into account when planning the future of RL.

In my opinion, like the Scottish Football League, we should be looking to increase the number of clubs sitting at our top table and not looking at reducing even further the size of our top division and only admitting new clubs once every blue moon.

I know the big issue is how to pay for such plans but, at the very least, we ought to put the idea on the table.

The Bundesliga should be the blue print on how Rugby League should be run

#43 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

For conferences to work, you need teams of more even ability than we have now.

Before you can achieve that, you need clubs with more even finances.

The NFL have achieved that by pooling their income.

We're a long way from that.

If we go for mixed ability conferences, we'll just end up with a lot more blow-out scores.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#44 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Besides, it ain't over yet HMRC are challenging the ruling.

Well, we'll see. Bearing on mind that HMRC lost on the facts of the case rather than an interpretation of the law.

Caveat - I might change my mind once I've read a decent report of the case.

#45 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

The Scottish league is only doing this as a quick fix to get Rangers back in the top flight ,I guarantee in a few years they will be trying to break away into a smaller group to keep the money for themselves

#46 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

The Scottish league is only doing this as a quick fix to get Rangers back in the top flight ,I guarantee in a few years they will be trying to break away into a smaller group to keep the money for themselves

Are they ?

Current system - assuming Rangers keep winning....

2012/13 Div 4

2013/14 Div 3

2014/15 Div 2

2015/16 Div 1

Conference System

2012/13 Div 4

2013/14 Conference

2014/15 Div 2

2015/16 Div 1

So, if that's the plan, it's not a good one.

#47 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,459 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

How so?

A Fev Blog

#48 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,459 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

The NFL have achieved that by pooling their income.

We're a long way from that.

;) Quite.

A Fev Blog

#49 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

My local Darts an Domino society run a very good competition with 3 highly competitive leagues with P&R. They should be the blue print on how Rugby League should be run.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Do you mean the fact that they have to make a profit or they are relegated ? If so we would end up with a 5 team SL and a huge CC competition. Come to think orf it that might be a good thing.

#51 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Do you mean the fact that they have to make a profit or they are relegated ? If so we would end up with a 5 team SL and a huge CC competition.

If it was a rule that clubs had to make profits to stay in Superleague, they'd make profits.

Interestingly, Leigh, Sheffield and Fax all made profits in their most recently published accounts (2011)

#52 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

If it was a rule that clubs had to make profits to stay in Superleague, they'd make profits.

Interestingly, Leigh, Sheffield and Fax all made profits in their most recently published accounts (2011)

I thought Leigh nearly went under in 2011?

#53 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Clearly not the case as it has been stated that entry to the proposed SPL2 will be on league position. If by the time the proposals are implemented Rangers are in one of the positions between 13 to 24 then they are already in the second tier of Scottish football.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#54 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Again, people keep referring to 'conferences' in relation to the Scottish football re-organisation, and then relate that to how rugby league can be organised on a regional basis.

Just to emphasise, no-one is proposing to have conferences in Scottish football, and, similarly, the SPL are not wanting to expand their top division. What is being proposed is to expand the Scottish Premier League to, effectively, two divisions of twelve, leaving the remaining 18 SFL clubs to play in a separate competition (replacing a top division of twelve and three SFL divisions of ten).

These two divisions of twelve of the SPL will be transformed into three divisions of eight after the clubs have played each other twice - based upon their finishing positions in the first phase of the season. The starting line-up of SPL1 and SPL2 will be based upon the finishing positions in these three divisions - effectively making the middle division a promotion/relegation play-off.

From what I have read of fans' comments, those who express a view are almost all against the idea. And if the idea is to try and sustain 24 full-time clubs then it is all going to end in tears; that would be as grand a folly as trying to create 20 full-time rugby league clubs based upon the current situation in England and France.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#55 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

How so?

Clubs must make a profit. Grounds must be a certain standard. Junior development is a must, unlike certain Super League clubs who only pay lip service to junior development, and are always looking at ways of getting around the import rules.

#56 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I thought Leigh nearly went under in 2011?

They made £32000, chipping a modest but respectable hole in the losses they'd made in previous years.

#57 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

I think conferences for our sport are only really suited for lower level RL. Maybe when more "new" clubs join the championship 1 then they may feel a need a spilt into conferences.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#58 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Let's make it a rule starting yesterday then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users