Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Enabling Closer games as opposed to tryfest blowouts

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Very few games these days are within less than a converted try. This makes the game a turn off despite the so called improvements like the 10m rule and penalties for holding on for more than a nanosecond to make the game more open. In actual fact, making the game more open has the adverse affect and leads to blowouts. I'd rather see a 9-8 close game than tryfests. This would also make more sense than trying to get all teams to be superhuman - which is not going to happen on limited sky money. I also dont think the game is as enjoyable to play now due to too much emphasis on getting back 10m rather than playing the core game of rugby league.

I'd like to see us take a small step backwards and look at reducing the 10m rule and also minimise the impact if a refs whistle (i.e. tackle count does NOT go back to one after a penalty).

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Like it or not the casual sports fan prefers try fests. Been too a few of my friends house with a large number of people, I managed too get two RL games on the tv. One was Saints v Wire whilst the other was London v Wire. The RL in the former game was of a much higher standard but many people didn't enjoy it as it was too close and not much was happening. Whilst the london game people loved due to the amount of attacking display which was happening as its very easy too watch.

Keep the game as it is, its very entertaining, noticeably different from RU and people enjoy playing and watching it.

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I think one sided games are just something 'rugby' has to live with. They aren't new.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

A game can be close and tense yet end up with a difference of more than 6.

#5 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Like it or not the casual sports fan prefers try fests. Been too a few of my friends house with a large number of people, I managed too get two RL games on the tv. One was Saints v Wire whilst the other was London v Wire. The RL in the former game was of a much higher standard but many people didn't enjoy it as it was too close and not much was happening. Whilst the london game people loved due to the amount of attacking display which was happening as its very easy too watch.

Keep the game as it is, its very entertaining, noticeably different from RU and people enjoy playing and watching it.

You are kidding right? To say the London game was better is laughable.

Did people not enjoy it before the 10rule?

#6 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I think one sided games are just something 'rugby' has to live with. They aren't new.

The high frequency of them is new - and has got worse since to silly 10m rule

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

You are kidding right? To say the London game was better is laughable.

Did people not enjoy it before the 10rule?

My opinion no, other peoples opinion yes. I can't go into detail why they liked it, they just did. These people who don't watch the game much are people who we should be trying to watch the game more often, you cant call their opinions laughable.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

This makes the game a turn off

Crowds up, viewers up..in SL at least. Are there blow-outs in the Championship as well?

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

The high frequency of them is new - and has got worse since to silly 10m rule

I'd like to see some scores from different eras to compare.

#10 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

As an amateur 'Second Row' Rugby League player I bloody love the 10m rule, however I don't think many people who haven't ever played RL have a grasp of how increadibly knackering a full 80 of any level of Rugby League is, especially on the back-foot. Although I'd bloody hate for the RFL/ARLC to reduce it to 7m (or even go back to 5m. URGH!), as that would decrease the power of the collision and make the game less expansive than it can be on the 3rd, 4th and 5th tackle.

I disagree with your initial post but I defintely agree about the players having to jump up as soon as a tackle is completed as they do in the NRL and Internationals. I've said it before. I'd have absolutely no problem if Refs allowed 4-5 seconds for players to control the ruck.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#11 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

As an amateur 'Second Row' Rugby League player I bloody love the 10m rule, however I don't think many people who haven't ever played RL have a grasp of how increadibly knackering a full 80 of any level of Rugby League is, especially on the back-foot. Although I'd bloody hate for the RFL/ARLC to reduce it to 7m (or even go back to 5m. URGH!), as that would decrease the power of the collision and make the game less expansive than it can be on the 3rd, 4th and 5th tackle.

I disagree with your initial post but I defintely agree about the players having to jump up as soon as a tackle is completed as they do in the NRL and Internationals. I've said it before. I'd have absolutely no problem if Refs allowed 4-5 seconds for players to control the ruck.

I played with a 5m rule and it enabled skill to get through defences rather than making it easier for the attacking team. Basically pace and power are now dominant given the extra yardage which results in larger score margins. Why are we constantly trying to make RL progressively more difficult to play as well from a fitness point of view. What next -a15m rule and 11a side?

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

What next -a15m rule and 11a side?

nope. Maybe a 5 yard rule, though. As that is less than 5 metres, then surely that would be even better.

#13 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

I played with a 5m rule and it enabled skill to get through defences rather than making it easier for the attacking team. Basically pace and power are now dominant given the extra yardage which results in larger score margins. Why are we constantly trying to make RL progressively more difficult to play as well from a fitness point of view. What next -a15m rule and 11a side?

a big difference now is the fitness of the forwards who can cover across more and by and large are faster . now if we go back to contested scrums with the ball going in strait that would tire the forwards a bit and give skillful halfbacks a better chance to prise open gaps in defences . of course this will never happen as theres not a hooker around these days who would have a clue how to strike for a ball or of course any props with the skills to help there hooker in the scrum.
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#14 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

5m rule existed at a time when defences were very poorly organised and drilled. There wasn't more skill and guile needed there were just far more holes in defence.

Watching back at old games and halfbacks werent any more skillfull or artful then than now.

The major difference in blowout scores is fitness and how long the ruck lasts. Winning teams are allowed to hold down longer and that's the biggest advantage you can get now

#15 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Blow out games are boring to watch.

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Blow out games are boring to watch.

I think so too. But they have always been a part of RL and it isn't just another stick to beat modern RL with.

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

The number of blowout games is vastly exaggerated.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#18 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I suggest more surging on the terraces (without women or families) and playing the game in a rectangular ground.

That should solve the problems, what.
People called Romans they go the house

#19 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think so too. But they have always been a part of RL and it isn't just another stick to beat modern RL with.

Your right.
There is much more than blow out score to beat it with ;)

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Bring back hacking.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users