Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dutch linesman dies after attack by players

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,082 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

http://bbc.co.uk/new...europe-20583970

FFS :angry:
Fides invicta triumphat

#2 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

All in the name of sport! Tragic.

#3 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'll say it again - soccer is endemically sick from top to bottom.

LUNEW.jpg

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

A youth match?

For ######'s sake.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

I'll say it again - soccer is endemically sick from top to bottom.

If the same number of people played RL worldwide as do soccer, then this could well be a RL linesman in the frame. Its a knobhead thing, not exclusively a soccer thing. Soccer is most popular - by some distance- hence has more idiots.

#6 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

If the same number of people played RL worldwide as do soccer, then this could well be a RL linesman in the frame. Its a knobhead thing, not exclusively a soccer thing. Soccer is most popular - by some distance- hence has more idiots.

Of course there is nothing intrinsic in the game per se. But it's nothing to do with numbers either - I don't recall any angling riots. Soccer has got to the point where cheating has been normalised such that it is now intrinsic to the sport at all levels.

LUNEW.jpg

#7 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

cheating has been normalised such that it is now intrinsic to the sport at all levels.

Too true - according to esteemed ex-players etc, even if you could stay on your feet in a challenge, you are "entitled" to go down and get a free kick
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Soccer has got to the point where cheating has been normalised such that it is now intrinsic to the sport at all levels.

Rugby league is a great game but it isn't played by angels.
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,900 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Indeed. In the past year or so, there have been plenty of news stories from Australia about violence at youth RL matches.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Too true - according to esteemed ex-players etc, even if you could stay on your feet in a challenge, you are "entitled" to go down and get a free kick

Seeing players celebrating and being congratulated on " getting a penalty" is a prime example. My eldest and hits friends, despite my protestations, practice falling over.

LUNEW.jpg

#11 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Absolutely, but I would contend that a genuine ethos out fair play is still key to the sport and the culture that surrounds it, in this country at least.

LUNEW.jpg

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

no. That's rugby union you are thinking of.

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Absolutely, but I would contend that a genuine ethos out fair play is still key to the sport and the culture that surrounds it, in this country at least.

Yes and I agree but RL is not free from idiots. I can think of 2 people who are incredibly racist yet are RL fans. Certainly they are not representative of the average RL fan but we can't do too much backslapping yet.

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,900 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Yes and I agree but RL is not free from idiots. I can think of 2 people who are incredibly racist yet are RL fans. Certainly they are not representative of the average RL fan but we can't do too much backslapping yet.

It is also a question of numbers - with so many more fans than any other sport, Football is statistically more likely to have so many more unpleasant people among them.

Edited by Futtocks, 04 December 2012 - 12:40 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Terrible incident really, but I don't think it's the sport that is the issue in question, more the attitude of the youths in question. One of my friends refs football at lower levels, and always says he thinks that U15s-U18s are the worst age groups due to the hormone levels, and the need to look "hard" in front of their friends. Several times, he's been threatened and verbally abused; as a big lad I suspect that one or two may have had second thoughts about trying any more than that. He even told me that he'd been abused at Belle Vue (he's a Wakey fan for his sins) by a lad who he'd previously sent off in a game and took a lengthy ban for abusing the ref, so these things do sometimes carry on long after the initial event.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I remember reffing a union game many years ago, sharing the changing room with the football referee. We were chatting away when the home team football captain came in, looked at the ref and said "oh for f***'s sake, not you again you c**t. I hope you're not going to be the complete w**ker you were last time you were here". He then turned around and stormed out slamming the door. The football ref shrugged and said that that was sadly common, although rarely as blunt.

If that happened in either code of rugby, the game would start with that one player not coming on the field if it even started at all.

I've seen similar, but not as bad, in more than a few other occasions with shared changing rooms. I wouldn't be a football official for even professional footballer salaries, never mind the token amount they get at lower levels.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

The ref should have either barred the guy from playing or refused to ref the game.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

The ref should have either barred the guy from playing or refused to ref the game.

The one significant difference I see between soccer and other sports is that abuse of the ref is part of the game in soccer where it is not in the others.

Cheating happens in all sports.
- Severus, July 2012

#19 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Cheating happens in all sports.

Of course it does. However, it is not endemic in other sports like it is in soccer.

LUNEW.jpg

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,900 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

There was one story I remember, possibly apocryphal but I'd like to think not. At amateur level, a referee actually red-carded one of the players for mouthing off at him in the pub after the match. :D