Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dutch linesman dies after attack by players

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

The ref should have either barred the guy from playing or refused to ref the game.

That's the point though. That just does not happen in soccer. The FA would probably blame the ref for being over-sensitive.

LUNEW.jpg

#22 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

The one significant difference I see between soccer and other sports is that abuse of the ref is part of the game in soccer where it is not in the others.

It's getting worse in RL - in my opinion and experience. However the leagues will still largely back referees when they clamp down on it.

I'm not sure I would red card someone in the pub, but if it was part of the official post-match activities I would happily report any player or coach who verbally abused me in that environment.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Of course it does. However, it is not endemic in other sports like it is in soccer.

One word - Cycling.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

That's the point though. That just does not happen in soccer. The FA would probably blame the ref for being over-sensitive.

Perhaps once they might have but I'm not so sure today.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

One word - Cycling.

No - you don't get 8 year olds blood doping and taking EPO.

LUNEW.jpg

#26 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

All those that are taking the moral high ground should go try and watch under 15's RL, I've seen teenage refs threatened by 50 year old men, that are supposed to be coaches. Same men threatening under 15's players. I've been asahmed to follow the sport sometimes. As an earlier poster said, idiots are everywhere it's not just football. Get of your high horses. One thing I hate about RL is the holier than thou attitude. No wonder no one takes us seriously. We are no better than any other sport, just different.

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,022 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Of course it does. However, it is not endemic in other sports like it is in soccer.

or cycling.
or horse racing.
or boxing
or weightlifting
or athletics
or....
or...

#28 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

All those that are taking the moral high ground should go try and watch under 15's RL, I've seen teenage refs threatened by 50 year old men, that are supposed to be coaches. Same men threatening under 15's players. I've been asahmed to follow the sport sometimes. As an earlier poster said, idiots are everywhere it's not just football. Get of your high horses. One thing I hate about RL is the holier than thou attitude. No wonder no one takes us seriously. We are no better than any other sport, just different.

One look at the Yorkshire Junior league discipline sheet is enough to turn anyone off the sport. Spectators and coaches manhandling and abusing under 10s, referees being threatened, under 8s games being abandoned.

80% of this ###### is adults - relatively little is the players, and some of their offences are incited by the coaches and supporter behaviour.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

One look at the Yorkshire Junior league discipline sheet is enough to turn anyone off the sport. Spectators and coaches manhandling and abusing under 10s, referees being threatened, under 8s games being abandoned.

80% of this ###### is adults - relatively little is the players, and some of their offences are incited by the coaches and supporter behaviour.

Spot on.Heard of one game where the ref was walking off and the kids kept playing,no arguments,no fighting just kids enjoying the game,all the while parents were arguing left ,right and centre and this was an u8's game.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#30 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,809 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

A couple of severely punished criminal convictions would assist in this area.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#31 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

My nephew's son is a rugby league referee and who has told me of the appalling verbal abuse that he has suffered, although he hasn't encountered any physical attack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users