Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#1 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

http://menmedia.co.u...15m-rescue-fund

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#2 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

"Struggling Salford Reds are poised to receive a bailout of up to £1.5m to secure a takeover of the club by supporters".

"Salford City Council chiefs hope to pledge a loan facility of up to £750,000 Peel Holdings – who are joint owners of the Salford City Stadium along with the council – are set to put up the rest of the cash"

"The resulting rescue plan – set to go before Salford council's cabinet next Tuesday – is being dubbed a ‘fresh start’ by insiders"

Sadly this isn't rich Peel Holdings taking the club over and pledging to turn them into a competitive outfit. Red Willow got that spot on so well done you.

It would be a fresh start, but to start doing what - continuing to struggle for players, struggle for wins and struggle for fans?

Anyone know who these "supporters" are who are to take the club over, more to the point do they have money? and are they expected to pay the £1,5M back in time??

Press releases tend to help one to ask questions rather than answer them.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

so the owe the salford council upwards of £2.25m......christ!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

so the owe the salford council upwards of £2.25m......christ!

And they are to loan you players and take spectators from the oldham area/ it might be the other way around.

#5 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

To be honest lads the MEN has been batting around all sorts of stuff in the last 3 months! It has not been very accurate. We have had all sorts of articles and interviews with people outside the club. But absolutley nothing from Peel / Salford Reds and just a bit of political speak from the Council.

Better wait to see what is officially announced to get the full picture. It is agony for us Reds fans, but there is nothing but rumours so far ...

#6 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think you will find that the MEN article is wrong. The truth lies elsewhere. It has been very bad PR from Salford but their future is secure.

#7 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I hope RJ is correct.
It will be a good day for Salford and us all when they do confirm the new details securing the club's future.

#8 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I think you will find that the MEN article is wrong. The truth lies elsewhere.

What truth?? where??

#9 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

It is not for me to say at this stage. You will find, however, that it is true.

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I thought from the link address that it was a £15 million prize fund!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

I have to say that Rugby League coverage in the M.E.N. is about as accurate as it is in the South China Daily
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#12 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

I thought from the link address that it was a £15 million prize fund!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - that would be something!!

#13 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

We seem to lurch from one PR disaster to another, no season tickets, no new signings, players leaving.

Getting more and more disillusioned by the day.

Salford don't have the fan base to run the club by a supporters trust. The council shouldn't spend money on someone else's business when they are £4 in the red.

#14 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

It is not for me to say at this stage. You will find, however, that it is true.

I hope you are right RJ but I spoke to someone v high up in the club and certainly the Board will be stepping down and I dont blame them. I had hoped that somebody at Peel (not the Company) would have been the White Knight but it doesnt seem to be the case.

I agree with Red Willow - Supporters Trust and Council run are non starters.

#15 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - that would be something!!

Well that's what I thought! Happy days are here!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

You will find that it is true.

Where will I find it??

#17 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

The word for which you are searching is "when", which is self evidently in the future.

#18 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Salford are a joke sadly who dont deserve to be in SL. With clubs like Salford, London, Castleford etc there is a strong case for less clubs in SL OR be replaced IF Championship clubs are meeting the minimum standards set out. It cant be that hard to communicate to fans and not waste so much money surely? From the Salford fan I know, he wished the club would get out of SL and rebuild in the Championship even if it takes many years. He said they will never get out of this situation whilst in SL and each year gets worse. I dont know if the Salford fans on here agree with that though.
They are a disaster case that seemingly cant do anything right- not even do the basics in running a club. Even IF a investor is found and decides to inject cash it is just papering over the cracks. The club needs to get rid of many people especially on the business and communication side of things and start living within its means and sort themselves out before its too late. The talk of an investor has been going for months now and it must be a worry that nothing is seemingly happening. Salford cant even bring in players. The new season must be a worry as they have let some quality go and brought in no real experience or quality to replace whats gone. The worry for Salford and the game is the longer talks are ongoing the bigger the problems Salford have. Even if somebody invests money most of that will just go to sort out old debts and not too much will be used to push Salford forward both on and off the field. And if the old people are still involved will anything really change?

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Salford are a joke sadly who dont deserve to be in SL.

So were Oldham, so where Halifax, Leigh, Workington, Sheffield. I don't believe you support the promotion of aforementioned pathetic clubs (some if not all) back into SL.

The M.E.N. report was more than likely written/encouraged or assisted by Swanny.

Edited by Padge, 05 December 2012 - 12:00 AM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

pu kcoc

Edited by Padge, 05 December 2012 - 12:00 AM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users