Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#181 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yes they did, you nicely missed off the purchase of the lease for "iconic" Odsal and the 'cough' "market value" rental terms.

An asset they still hold incidentally, which they wouldn't (as in refused to) sell on to the new management.

As the original sale of the lease was ostensibly to prevent people who didn't have the best interests of RL at heart from gaining control , I suppose in a couple of years they will hopefully feel able to sell the the lease to OK Bulls. As they have already turned down the price they paid for it, plus received rent, it seems like the RFL have actually got a decent deal. Still, carry on as you are and don't let the facts spoil a good rant.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#182 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Funny. I have no problem finding reports of the previous evening's soccer games.

Lucky them, not sure what the deadlines are for written copy but some Nationals won't take pictures after 8.30pm.

#183 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Problem solved. See here

#184 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I`d go with Salford Butlers at a pinch JM - can you fix it? :lol:

#185 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

You may be wrongly confusing me with Jim wot fixes it. :) Did you know by the way that the Met have now arrested the whole of the 1970s?

#186 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

There isn't enough young talent to go round.

Believe me, there is.

Salford & Manchester have a combined population of approaching 3/4 Million people. There is lots of talent here. It's just a matter of looking in the correct places.

Wythenshawe, in the south of the city, has a population of approx 85k, which is bigger than most traditional 'rugby league towns'.

The phrase about leading a horse to water and not drinking when referring to the Reds springs to mind.

#187 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Believe me, there is.

Salford & Manchester have a combined population of approaching 3/4 Million people. There is lots of talent here. It's just a matter of looking in the correct places.

Wythenshawe, in the south of the city, has a population of approx 85k, which is bigger than most traditional 'rugby league towns'.

I don’t understand your post in any practical way whatsoever?

You may mean that if everyone played Rugby League and all other sports and pastimes were banned we’d beat the Australians all the time and have 200 professional clubs.

But I don’t know of anyone from Wythenshaw playing RL and going on to turn professional.

I do know from a lifetime of experience that in a free country that RL is the choice of a minority of people. The games too tough to ever spread with any popularity, even the historically geographically spread union sees massive drops in numbers playing at the clubs, with “fourhs” and “thirds” closing.

Only where the game is successful historically and successful in Superleague can any club turn out a professional quality local born first XV11. That’s in places like Hull, Wigan, St.Helens, and Leeds. Even the Bulls massive success post 1995 hasn’t seen participation levels rocket that much, and where a club is in decline like Widnes post 1994 the local junior scene can decline just as alarmingly.

That is the situation in practice, that any club even with an army of volunteers can change en masse the mindset of the mass of kids who don’t want to favour high contact sport over soccer in particular is positive thinking yes, but…

As for Salford even in their early seventies hey day the players were all but Sammy Turnbull shipped in from here there and everywhere. Building a winning side like that necessitated a club not just to spend money, but the biggest money. Today no SL club can outspend another. No SL club that cannot match the salary cap can obtain quality talent, no club at all that cannot pay £1.6M in wages a year can hold onto the talent that is in short supply and always will be.

#188 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Wilco hopeful of new owners within 1 week
http://www.thesun.co...team-alive.html

#189 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

2010, Wakey in trouble, 2011 Crusaders drop out, 2012, Bulls almost fold, 2013 Salford on the brink. Who's next? Cas? Hull KR? More of the wonderful success stories of Super League since licensing! :unsure:
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#190 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

its not the licensing process that has caused clubs to be badly managed......

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#191 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

"Inside a week we may have something in place. The business plan and budget for 2013 are robust. I’m very confident we can make a profit.”

We have had this sort of thing since September ( and for years to be honest! :lol: ) and still nothing actually in place. Since our "home" game at Leigh debacle v Wakefield its been speculation and hints.I think I will reserve my opinion until we see some names to these backers - until then its all talk ...

#192 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Bradford have raided crisis club Salford to complete their latest acquisition for Super League XVIII.

Oof!

http://www.sportingl...woop-for-sidlow
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#193 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

No - they always were.

#194 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I don't think lasting 30 years as owner of a rugby league club would give much credence to suggesting John Wilkinson has badly managed a rugby league club,despite poor attendances.Perhaps the requirement of a new stadia during a doube-dip recession,banking crisis and job losses in construction played a small part.
Of course,some clubs with/using an iconic stadium like Bradford were exempt from the requirement.
Always nice to see owners who abdicate their responsibilities - from Wrexham to Bradford walk away without even the slightest admonishment.
Strange how the person who introduced the licensing has been chief executive at two liquidated clubs.He does seem to have a propensity for 'restricting trade'.

#195 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

2010, Wakey in trouble, 2011 Crusaders drop out, 2012, Bulls almost fold, 2013 Salford on the brink. Who's next? Cas? Hull KR? More of the wonderful success stories of Super League since licensing! :unsure:

Leigh in trouble, Bramley Blackpool and Huyton gone, rochdale and york closed, swinton and hunslet shadows of their former selves. Oldham disaster.

More of the wonderful breathtaking success stories of semi professional Rugby ;)

Edited by The Parksider, 14 December 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#196 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

I don't think lasting 30 years as owner of a rugby league club would give much credence to suggesting John Wilkinson has badly managed a rugby league club,

Really ;) ????

How else do you explain their struggles then??

Did you not know that when a club does well it's "well managed" and when a club does badly it's "badly managed".

Could not be simpler could it.

Just manage all your problems away.

#197 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Correct.

Its not the cure it was mis-sold as either.

#198 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

That is the situation in practice, that any club even with an army of volunteers can change en masse the mindset of the mass of kids who don’t want to favour high contact sport over soccer in particular is positive thinking yes, but…

London ? 30 years ago there were next to no kids playing the contact sport of RL in London. Today it is a success story and not especially anywhere near the broncos either.

I don't see why that cannot be replicated in Wythenshaw. Your constant nada, nada, nada only in SL refrains gets so boring and mindnumbingly negative.

#199 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Leigh in trouble, Bramley Blackpool and Huyton gone, rochdale and york closed, swinton and hunslet shadows of their former selves. Oldham disaster.

More of the wonderful breathtaking success stories of semi professional Rugby ;)

And those quoted clubs share of the Sky largesse was how much?

#200 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Didn't the championship clubs give up (for a 1 off lump sum) their sky share years ago to do the half winter season? And so they could persue their own TV deal? Or is my memory tricking me? (happens...often...)
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users