Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#201 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Didn't the championship clubs give up (for a 1 off lump sum) their sky share years ago to do the half winter season? And so they could persue their own TV deal? Or is my memory tricking me? (happens...often...)

And, in retrospect, do you think that was a wise move. Maybe we would still have Bramley and Blackpool if they hadn't signed away their share from Sky. And whilst we are on the subject, Parksider quoted Oldham as a semi pro disaster. If I recall there downfall came when they were in SL.

#202 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

London ? 30 years ago there were next to no kids playing the contact sport of RL in London. Today it is a success story.....

I don't see why that cannot be replicated in Wythenshaw.

Whats mind numbingly boring is your wishful thinking that RL can push and promote itself to such an extent it will turn everyone on and people will take the game up and watch the game and championship clubs will grow and flower into professional clubs etc etc etc.

Get a history of RL book and read the reality of the games struggles from day one to today. 126 years of struggle with another 126 to come.

As for YOU saying London junior RL is a "success story" my word how you can do an about turn and a back flip if it suits you?

The south east is a massive area such that we may just be able to sustain a junior RL big enough to feed a superleague club.

Whilst that is a success for us, what we will achieve is miniscule against what Soccer and RU achieve in London.

You know full well we are not a success in London but we have found enough interest across a very big place to make having an SL club there worthwhile.A success relative to our size.

All this "can be done" nada nada nada isn't debate. It's fantasy Rugby League.

Please can we have an additional forum on here for the fantasists??

Lets go into business together, I can formulate a sensible and realistic business plan for us whilst you close your eyes and dream we'll be marks and spencers.

#203 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

And those quoted clubs share of the Sky largesse was how much?

1. The SL clubs struggle because they have to pay £1.6M wages and turn over £4M+ with only £1.2M of SKY money subsidy.

2. The CC clubs struggle because they have to pay £300K wages and turn over £1M.

Business wise it's a bigger struggle to find the money for Superleague.

The lower down the leagues you go the easier it is to survive.

Somehow championship clubs are worse at surviving than SL clubs.

But let's not let the facts get in the way of another dig at Superleague.

#204 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Your boring and mindnumbingly negative.

Your a dreamer who cannot grasp facts :lol:

LOCK IT!!!

#205 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I wish I had half of the same time to post as The Parksider does. Congrats to him for being able to chillax on here.

I hope Salford drag themselves out of whatever mess they're in and get themselves competing in Super League as they should be. There are some good folk who watch Salford and they have the potential to be a big club (note: as Salford, not some 'Manchester' fake club who wouldn't attract one extra fan).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#206 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I think you will find that the MEN article is wrong. The truth lies elsewhere. It has been very bad PR from Salford but their future is secure.

No don't lock it.

Lets get back to the subject of the thread.

Can you add any more at this point in time??

Is Mr. Wilkinson's assertion investors are on the way in line with your assertion above?

#207 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I wish I had half of the same time to post as The Parksider does. Congrats to him for being able to chillax on here.

Your hardly a part timer at 9775 posts.

My downfall is arguing with Tro, Lobby, Mr. K, Lizzy, etc.

I dream of Fev, Leigh, Keighley and Fax getting in Superleague.

Then I may be released from this treadmill......

#208 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Quote - I think you will find that the MEN article is wrong. The truth lies elsewhere. It has been very bad PR from Salford but their future is secure.

Not seen this posted, but if true, are Salford just going to make up the numbers now, even if they survive?
They've lost a good few players from last seasons squad, signed one who'd you regard as a good squad player, not a front line one. All potential players available have been snapped up and its going to be a real job just to get a team on the field that has some unity and depth of teamwork. Timescales are against them.

#209 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

To be honest Shaun - if we still have a club to support next year that will have to be enough. Making up the numbers be it in SL or CC1 is better than having the club I supported since childhood disappear.

#210 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

To be honest Shaun - if we still have a club to support next year that will have to be enough. Making up the numbers be it in SL or CC1 is better than having the club I supported since childhood disappear.

Good on yer. Hope it works out.

#211 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Quote - I think you will find that the MEN article is wrong. The truth lies elsewhere. It has been very bad PR from Salford but their future is secure.

Not seen this posted, but if true, are Salford just going to make up the numbers now, even if they survive?
They've lost a good few players from last seasons squad, signed one who'd you regard as a good squad player, not a front line one. All potential players available have been snapped up and its going to be a real job just to get a team on the field that has some unity and depth of teamwork. Timescales are against them.

Didn't Wakey and Crusaders pull together decent sides at the last minute??

Plenty of time yet shaun!!

#212 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

SO that's Bradford making up the numbers on half the funding and Salford making up the numbers as well.

Can't wait.

#213 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Shame it was someone else's money.

#214 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Shame it was someone else's money.

It's all on someone else's money SKY, creditors, local rich man, sponsors benevolence etc.

Perhaps all clubs SHOULD go back to part time and balance their books against turnstyle income??

It would be more honourable.

#215 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

SO that's Bradford making up the numbers on half the funding and Salford making up the numbers as well.

Can't wait.

I wonder if Salford can beat Halifax's record of 2003. They would have to do something like cheat the cap to get minus points though, so it may be hard.

#216 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

And Crusaders were full of legit players?
Its easy to sign a side containing players that have no right to work in the UK.
I hope Salford don't follow that route.

#217 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

I wonder if Salford can beat Halifax's record of 2003. They would have to do something like cheat the cap to get minus points though, so it may be hard.

Break the cap! It would be worth the points deduction to see us able to do that :lol:.- the only caps being broken will be the ones being handed round for donations, hopefully bursting with loose change ... . Bucket collections outside Tesco etc... being organised by fans for next week, if the supporters meeting on Monday does not get good news.

It might be hard to get minus points - but our club is very special and has proved capable of any kind of absurdity in the last few years. However at the moment there will be no club for people to laugh at anyway ;) I hope it doesn't come to that ...

Edited by 41hound, 15 December 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#218 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,158 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

All the best hound, hope you get a few quid.

#219 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

It's all on someone else's money SKY, creditors, local rich man, sponsors benevolence etc.

Perhaps all clubs SHOULD go back to part time and balance their books against turnstyle income??

It would be more honourable.

How you can use the absolute farce that was Crusaders as an example for Salford to follow and then justify it by claiming that running a club at an unsustainable loss is perfectly fine?

Advising anyone to run an enterprise illegally demonstrates you are neither a solicitor or an accountant but you do a fine interpretation of a merchant banker.

#220 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Perhaps all clubs SHOULD go back to balancing their books against income??

It would be LEGAL.

FIXED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users