TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#321 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

With a trimmed wage bill...........

Comes a trimmed team that cannot compete and loses matches.

With continuous defeats the crowds drop.

John M has it right

#322 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

been reading this topic with intrest as a fev fan i really hope salford do survive this situation rugby leauge needs a salford rfl the problem is every team in sl are running behond there meens trying to please the rfl and sle with posh new stadia wages they can't really afford how many teams in sl own there own ground ??? not many i bet then theres rent on sumat you'll never own people on here are saying if salford go belly up put leigh in sl ??? well that fine by me i dont want my team in at the moment were ok where we are reaching finals winning tne leauge the last 3 years how many teams can say they own there own ground with 17 acres of land to go with it were getting it sorted with the new stand we dont pay rent we can sell land if we wanted but choose not to things are looking good for fev for the future but sl no thanks at the mo leigh its all yours if you want it cos i dont

#323 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

If clubs are going to go bust midway through a 3-year term with this regularity then the RFL really need to rethink licences.

#324 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

If clubs are going to go bust midway through a 3-year term with this regularity then the RFL really need to rethink licences.

Why are licenses even relevant to this? In the current financial climate, you could argue that with P&R and the risks associated with it there could be even more clubs going bust.

It's really not relevant, Salford would be run badly with ###### crowds whether there was P&R or licensing.

#325 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

been reading this topic with intrest as a fev fan i really hope salford do survive this situation rugby leauge needs a salford rfl the problem is every team in sl are running behond there meens trying to please the rfl and sle with posh new stadia wages they can't really afford how many teams in sl own there own ground ??? not many i bet then theres rent on sumat you'll never own people on here are saying if salford go belly up put leigh in sl ??? well that fine by me i dont want my team in at the moment were ok where we are reaching finals winning tne leauge the last 3 years how many teams can say they own there own ground with 17 acres of land to go with it were getting it sorted with the new stand we dont pay rent we can sell land if we wanted but choose not to things are looking good for fev for the future but sl no thanks at the mo leigh its all yours if you want it cos i dont

I will second that we don't want and were not ready for SL yet. We are better staying away until the next round of licensing. But I don't know if people are saying put etc in if Salford go belly up but if they are Leigh are not ready either they were in a lot better position when they were in last time and they got hammered every week. I don't think anyone in the champ is ready yet but financially no one in our league is in a better position than us but SL is a financial graveyard at the minute and we could probably cope financially but we would struggle so the rest definatley would. But I really do hope Salford don't go belly up I wouldn't wish that on our near neighbours never mind another RL club. I just hope they can get through this and come back stronger from it hopefully.

#326 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

By mentioning the possibility to reduce wages I was thinking of the £451k Salford spent on wages in 2012 over 2011.
There is plenty scope there to cut costs without affecting the team too much. What where their respective league positions 2011 and 2012?
Also they are paying £370k rent at SCS on thirteen home games. That is a fortune given the size of the stadium and their crowds. Surely this is an amount that could be re-negotiated with Peel given their close relationship with the Reds and ownership of the place. Those two amounts alone come to £821k and is more than they owe to start the new season.
Of course they need more revenue but those costs really do need looking at again.

#327 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

No they don't.

RFL/SLE set the number of clubs for Superleague. (14 this time)

the license commitee pick the best (14) resourced clubs.

And that's it.

Licenses are not the cause of anyone going kaput.

It's the salary cap being too high and the resources in terms of fans and players being too low for the number of clubs

The right balance needs setting.

#328 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Licensing the RFL way doesn't work, it may have worked with a competent process evenly implemented by impartial auditors.
Our sport is seen as a joke at the top and I couldn't argue with that perception. We need some wealth creators within our administration before its too late, bean counters and pen pushers have limited appeal.
In the meantime we must deal with clubs using administration as a benefit, no pain is associated with it as in Bulls, Wakey and probably now Salford - it does our image even more harm.

#329 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Why are licenses even relevant to this? In the current financial climate, you could argue that with P&R and the risks associated with it there could be even more clubs going bust.

It's really not relevant, Salford would be run badly with ###### crowds whether there was P&R or licensing.

Yeah but at least, they could be relegated. Now they are committed to another two seasons.

#330 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

No they don't.

And that's it.

It's the salary cap being too high and the resources in terms of fans and players being too low for the number of clubs

The right balance needs setting.

I somehow doubt that Salford are among the best 14 right now, nor for the next two seasons.

#331 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Licensing the RFL way doesn't work, it may have worked with a competent process evenly implemented by impartial auditors.
Our sport is seen as a joke at the top and I couldn't argue with that perception. We need some wealth creators within our administration before its too late, bean counters and pen pushers have limited appeal.
In the meantime we must deal with clubs using administration as a benefit, no pain is associated with it as in Bulls, Wakey and probably now Salford - it does our image even more harm.

Well done, I think you got them all in in the one post.

Oh hang on, you seem to have missed 'sold down the river'

only 9/10

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#332 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I posted earlier what was happening in the 60's at Oldham, their decline started in 61 ( no P&R ) and accelerated with the introduction of P & R which coincidently coincides with Bradford's infamous down turn and departure into oblivion. No licensing, no P&R and P&R, the game went belly up for clubs then, as it does now.

The introduction of P&R was slagged off when introduced, a lot of clubs hated it and saw it as their ruin.

Edited by Padge, 19 December 2012 - 09:01 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#333 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Slightly concerning thing coming out of Salford is the current Chairman saying that their problems are all down to the fact that at Barton the only real revenue stream for the Reds (and I presume also the Sharks) is ticket sales. Whereas at the Willows, they had other revenue streams connected to the stadium. Surely when they were costing the move to Barton, someone somewhere at the club factored in the loss of this revenue from non playing commercial activity into the budgets? Is that where they got the 'finger in the air' figure of 8,000 average crowds a figure several thousand higher than they had been getting at the Willows.

Funny old world really. If Saints had stayed at Knowsley Road the club would have probably gone bust, whereas it looks like had Salford stayed at the Willows they would be in much better shape than now. I still think it right the RFL insist on upgrading facilities, but thankfully they have injected a dose of realism and are taking account of the economic climate,

Edited by foozler, 19 December 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#334 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

I somehow doubt that Salford are among the best 14 right now, nor for the next two seasons.

That's not the point one little bit.

Do you think Fev, Leigh, Fax or Eagles had more money or resources in 2011 and do you think any of them would have managed to do better than Salford.

#335 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Slightly concerning thing coming out of Salford is the current Chairman saying that their problems are all down to the fact that at Barton the only real revenue stream for the Reds (and I presume also the Sharks) is ticket sales. Whereas at the Willows, they had other revenue streams connected to the stadium. Surely when they were costing the move to Barton, someone somewhere at the club factored in the loss of this revenue from non playing commercial activity into the budgets? Is that where they got the 'finger in the air' figure of 8,000 average crowds a figure several thousand higher than they had been getting at the Willows.

Funny old world really. If Saints had stayed at Knowsley Road the club would have probably gone bust, whereas it looks like had Salford stayed at the Willows they would be in much better shape than now. I still think it right the RFL insist on upgrading facilities, but thankfully they have injected a dose of realism and are taking account of the economic climate,

incompetence. thats what it sounds like to me. I know people like to hold JW up as a hero, and its good to see anybody invest in RL but there has been next to nothing that has ever impressed me about Salford as a business.

#336 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

What are you talking about?

And that's it.

Please try to deal with this and please try to suggest where the licensing system doesn't work.

Tell me where they made a mistake i.e who should have been in instead of Salford??

#337 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Salford had stagnant crowds at The Willows and were told by the RFL move to a new stadium or your out of SL.

There was surely no doubt about factoring in any "loss of revenue" what over rode this was the loss of their Superleague place.

It seems to me they decided to move in a gamble on fans responding, based on the alternative being the fans response to demotion to the CC's forever.

i.e. walking away a la Oldham

Edited by The Parksider, 19 December 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#338 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

That's not the point one little bit.

Do you think Fev, Leigh, Fax or Eagles had more money or resources in 2011 and do you think any of them would have managed to do better than Salford.

Fax Leigh or us would have done just as good if not better if we would of had all the years they have had in SL. But you can't really ask that question because us and fax haven't been given a craic at it. Where as Leigh have but even then they only had 1 season. So like I said who knows if we would of had the years they have had in SL silly question really as no one would know the answer only guessing.

Edited by thundergaz, 19 December 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#339 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

I am now officially sick of not knowing what is going to happen to my club. We have had months of doom and gloom and nothing to be positive about. I am prepared for the worst (as are most of our fans) - we keep hearing "investment imminent. But it isn't is it? We are not told what the options are if no money turns up. I seem to remember SKY programs devoted to "Save the Bulls" and lots of RFL announcements - but we get nothing but "we are talking to mystery investors".

What a cruel way to treat players, employees and supporters. All most of us want is to watch our team play rugby - I will accept any division and I will go wherever (within reason! :lol: ) - I just wish to know if we will have any sort of club to follow next season - is that too much to ask after supporting the club?

#340 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Fax Leigh or us would have done just as good if not better if we would of had all the years they have had in SL. But you can't really ask that question because us and fax haven't been given a craic at it. Where as Leigh have but even then they only had 1 season. So like I said who knows if we would of had the years they have had in SL silly question really as no one would know the answer only guessing.

So let me get this right, you are saying Leigh should have been given 3 years to get it right rather than being thrown out for not being good enough in year one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users