Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#341 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

incompetence. thats what it sounds like to me. I know people like to hold JW up as a hero, and its good to see anybody invest in RL but there has been next to nothing that has ever impressed me about Salford as a business.

The situation is that Salford have not managed 6,000 crowds since the early seventies, and not managed to develop any significant number of home grown players, and so devoid of fans and players to a level they could utilise to be a top club, they were a "second division club".

The reason they actually managed to be a second division club in the top division for the bulk of the 35 odd years since they were big was Mr. Wilko paid for them to be there.

It seems clear to me it was not incompetence, It was Mr. Wilkinson covering the losses with his money but never putting in enough investment in to develop the game in Salford below the first XV11.

You cannot criticise anyone for throwing money at a lost cause, you certainly cannot criticise anyone for not throwing even more money at it especially when the sums required to make RL succeed in Britains top soccer metropolis were/still are phenomenal.

#342 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

So let me get this right, you are saying Leigh should have been given 3 years to get it right rather than being thrown out for not being good enough in year one.

I don't agree with no P&R but that is the rule. But back then it wasn't so no I don't think they should of had 3 year but I also don't think a lot of the rest should be having 3 year after 3 year either. Same as I don't agree with the champions being the GF winners the champions should be the league winners IMO but hey they are the rules. Just another money making scheme that's all.

#343 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

The introduction of P&R was slagged off when introduced, a lot of clubs hated it and saw it as their ruin.

Bramley detested it.

Dick Gibson one of the directors said to me it would be the death of the club.

Anyone remember Bramley??

#344 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Just another money making scheme that's all.

God forbid professional RL should try to make money Gaz?

#345 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

God forbid professional RL should try to make money Gaz?

I wouldn't mind if some of it was filtered down parksider or some of it pumped back into our league. The greedy sods in SL keep it for themselves. And still teams are going bust just makes you laugh doesn't it.

#346 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

I don't agree with no P&R but that is the rule. But back then it wasn't so no I don't think they should of had 3 year but I also don't think a lot of the rest should be having 3 year after 3 year either. Same as I don't agree with the champions being the GF winners the champions should be the league winners IMO but hey they are the rules. Just another money making scheme that's all.

So every bonkers chairman with enough money to buy promotion but not enough money to pay for an SL place should be allowed to cause immense damage to a club just for his own one season ego.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#347 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

It's the salary cap being too high and the resources in terms of fans and players being too low for the number of clubs

That sounds more like a plan to kill all the donkeys to me rather than one to fix the games problems.

#348 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

So every bonkers chairman with enough money to buy promotion but not enough money to pay for an SL place should be allowed to cause immense damage to a club just for his own one season ego.

Any club that deserves the right to be promoted I. E GF winners as the rules stand should be aloud the chance yes.

#349 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Fax Leigh or us would have done just as good if not better

Gaz, Mr. Wilkinson and his partner Mr. Clague put £millions into Salford over the years

Fax, Leigh and Fev over the whole period of SL did not have anyone to put £millions in so no they would NOT have done better than Salford.

You don't seem to want to grasp the idea that the more money a club has the better you do in Rugby League.

I can remember all the times Jerry Mason or Graham Liles pumped thousands into Hunslet and we got promoted as a result, and the times when they were skint and didn't put any money in and we were struggling not to come bottom of division 2.

Forget good and bad management, it's a red herring. It's all about money.

#350 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Gaz, Mr. Wilkinson and his partner Mr. Clague put £millions into Salford over the years

Fax, Leigh and Fev over the whole period of SL did not have anyone to put £millions in so no they would NOT have done better than Salford.

You don't seem to want to grasp the idea that the more money a club has the better you do in Rugby League.

I can remember all the times Jerry Mason or Graham Liles pumped thousands into Hunslet and we got promoted as a result, and the times when they were skint and didn't put any money in and we were struggling not to come bottom of division 2.

Forget good and bad management, it's a red herring. It's all about money.

It's always been the same the more money you have the better you do but maybe not at the moment with the salary cap because IMO that makes it more of a level playing field. Also IMO with no relegation no club should be going bust in SL.

Edited by thundergaz, 19 December 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#351 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

It's all about money.

Haven't I heard that somewhere before?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#352 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I wouldn't mind if some of it was filtered down parksider or some of it pumped back into our league. The greedy sods in SL keep it for themselves.

Gaz. SKY will only allow the SL clubs to have the money, how does that make them greedy?

#353 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

It's always been the same the more money you have the better you do but maybe not at the moment with the salary cap because IMO that makes it more of a level playing field. Also IMO with no relegation no club should be going bust in SL.

The salary cap isn't set at a level to stop clubs going bust, the clubs themselves scrapped that idea years ago.

The salary cap allows any club to overspend by as much as they can, regardless of the damage caused. That's what the clubs wanted that is what the clubs got.

#354 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Gaz. SKY will only allow the SL clubs to have the money, how does that make them greedy?

Your telling me the SL clubs and the RFL didn't have a say in it? You've got to be having a laugh. The SL clubs and the RFL pee in the same pot their up each others backsides.

#355 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

It's always been the same the more money you have the better you do

THANK YOU that is why busted flushes like London, Salford and Hull.K.R. get in superleague because rich men gave them millions.

That is why superb clubs like Fev, Fax and Leigh cannot compete with rubbish clubs who have rich owners.

Fev beat Cas, neither club has any money so it was an even contest.

Money, money, money, money, money etc etc...

#356 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Your telling me the SL clubs and the RFL didn't have a say in it? You've got to be having a laugh. The SL clubs and the RFL pee in the same pot their up each others backsides.

Oh dear, you seem to have been asleep for a long while Snow White.

#357 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

SKY wanted to screen elite RL that meant a small professional league. They paid the money to get the product they wanted.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

The piper had no alternatives.

#358 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

THANK YOU that is why busted flushes like London, Salford and Hull.K.R. get in superleague because rich men gave them millions.

That is why superb clubs like Fev, Fax and Leigh cannot compete with rubbish clubs who have rich owners.

Fev beat Cas, neither club has any money so it was an even contest.

Money, money, money, money, money etc etc...

We have got money probably more than c@s. But for you to say it was an even contest that's not a comment we shouldn't have got anywhere near them Never mind beat them. There is a bigger gulf between champ one and champ two than their Is between the bottom of SL and top of the champ.Also the champ is more competitive and more entertaining to watch.

Edited by thundergaz, 19 December 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#359 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

All most of us want is to watch our team play rugby - I will accept any division

I just wish to know if we will have any sort of club to follow next season

Mr. Wilkinson would only accept SL.

So you may have no club because JW may have gambled it away on Barton.

All these rich people pick up clubs with the intention of taking them to the top, and will take whatever gambles they can after all you can always go into administration. The fans don't complain, they love the ride but cry when it hits the buffers.

There are some clubs who will give you what you want Mr. Hound.

Batley are one of them.

#360 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

We have got money probably more than c@s. But for you to say it was an even contest we shouldn't have got anywhere near them Never mind beat them.

Why not? You have players many of whom have played SL? That's what top CC teams do they get the best SL rejects.

Castleford did not have any top players because the rich clubs bought them all, apart from Chase.

On the day your excellent coach got your lads to see to Chase and you won.

Great one off win.

Sure Cas were the professional team and fitter, but you gave your all that day and then a week or two on it showed when you let Sheffield score 60.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users