Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#381 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Pie in the Sky

It may or may not be pie in the sky but what I do know for certain is that Mark Campbell is certainly no mug and neither is his CEO. It will be these two guys who determine whether or not Rovers are well enough equipped to take the step up and whatever route they decide upon will be the right one.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#382 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

What as crowds got to do with it? Can you imagine the FA saying to the champ clubs you can't get promoted because you only have 10k fans but you need 30k to get in or your ground isn't good enough or you only have 5 mil to spend on players you need 20 mil etc etc etc its people like you that kill our sport and its romance. If you win promotion no matter who you are you should go up.

To enter the football league a club needs to meet minimum stadium criteria. To then progress into the championship / premier league a club needs to meet further stadium criteria. For example, terracing is banned in the top two divisions and there are specific requirements for press and broadcast facilities, size of changing rooms, etc, etc. So yes, the FL/FA could tell a club it cannot be promoted.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#383 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

We see how HKR have settled on a £1.1M salary cap, no doubt Cas, Wakefield, Salford (if they survive), Bradford will be settling for something like the same.

Think in bradfords case the decision to spend well below salary cap has been forced on us by circumstance. Firstly the reduction in central funding for the next two years. Secondly, and more importantly, the uncertainty over the ownership and our SL status meant we couldn't start signing players until September. By this time in the season most players have their contracts for the next year sorted. We could have either signed players who weren't upto the grade just to make the numbers up and be able to say we've spent full cap, or keep the cap space available and go with a smaller squad. Personally think we've gone the right route. If someone becomes available mid season we have space to move and it gives our younger players a chance to stake a claim for starting spots, Would expect us to start recruitment very early next year for 2014 season and be spending close to full cap.

#384 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Gaz. SKY will only allow the SL clubs to have the money, how does that make them greedy?

This is a statement I see repeated regularly but I can't recall seeing any official confirmation of it. Can anyone point me in the direction of such confirmation? If its accurate, how have the RFL been able to withold a significant proportion of Bradford's sky allocation as a fine/punishment & where is it going?

Please dont misunderstand my question as being advocacy for sharing tv money evenly, it's anything but. I'm simply interested to discover whether it is true or another 'blame Sky' urban myth.

Edited by intheshed, 20 December 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#385 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

SL clubs ultimately decide what happens to the SKY monies

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#386 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

This is a statement I see repeated regularly but I can't recall seeing any official confirmation of it. Can anyone point me in the direction of such confirmation?

Demon says the money is for SL to share, but I take your point it seems to be for RFL to withdraw. I take it there is nothing for the championship clubs because SKY were prepared to screen their matches but not pay for them. If somewhere in the SL/SKY contract there is a clause the money can be shared beyond the SL incumbents and to the Champioship clubs I'd have guessed we'd have heard about it loud and clear from the odd chairman or two?

#387 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Think in bradfords case the decision to spend well below salary cap (2013) has been forced on us by circumstance. Would expect us to start recruitment very early next year for 2014 season and be spending close to full cap.

Point taken and as per Mr Craiq's post he doesn't see "Bradford down amongst the dead men" and nor do I.

#388 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

What is patently obvious is the heartland clubs of HKR/Cas/Wakey/Salford/Widnes have similar challenges and potentials to the Leigh/Fax/Fev/Oldham's barred from the elite. Either go to 2 tens or bring back P&R to allow clubs to have the dream and find their position through natures way, because in reality it is only these 9/10 clubs effected either way.

I think that's a good shout myself although I'd take Wakefield out. I've stood in a 10K crowd at Belle Vue and in Newmarket one can only see those becoming more regular.

There but for the grace of a rich man goes HKR/Cas/Salford/Widnes/Leigh/Oldham/Halifax/Featherstone......

And how about London/Huddersfield too...

All clubs who would struggle in Superleague without someone rich to bankroll them.

Leaving the real Superleague of Leeds/Hull/Wigan/Warrington/Bradford/Saints/Wakefield/Catalans.

Oh how Maurice and the RFL would have wished the SL game would have made it in Paris, Gateshead, Wales Barcelona, Toulouse and London and that those smaller championship clubs had faded into a merger with their local rivals.

We may have then seen what Superleague was really meant to be rather than what it is in danger of becoming i.e. the old first division without the stars.

#389 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

I do know for certain that Mark Campbell is no mug and neither is his CEO. It will be these two guys who determine whether or not Rovers are well enough equipped to take the step up and whatever route they decide upon will be the right one.

You seem uncertain about the 2015 application going in and Mr. Nahaboo's input? Can you clarify things for us Terry?

#390 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,456 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

The Sky money is equally divided between the 14 SL clubs plus the RFL so the RFL get one fifteenth of the Sky money. Championship club Chairmen made a very poor decision some years ago to accept a one off payment of £10.8 million from Sky in order that they could seek coverage elsewhere. When that happened with Premier Sports the clubs end up with very little in the way of payment for the coverage.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#391 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,620 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I like Featherstone and their fans, but to suggest that they're a bigger club than Castleford is utterly proposterous. I also admire the clubs ambition to get into Super League, but I'm afraid that no matter how many times they win the Championship, or how many new stands they erect, they're never going to get there. If Salford (hopefully not) go belly up, then it'll be full speed ahead for another French outfit - probably Toulouse. Featherstone just doesn't fit with the RFL's adherence to the laws of 'expansionism' - like it or not (for the record, I don't like it). In a European Super League age, where clubs have been mooted in Dublin, Barcelona and Glasgow, does anyone really believe that RL authorities are going to see a club from a tiny former pit village as the way forward for them?
Also, the top Championship clubs CAN compete with a number of SL clubs in one-off matches as we've witnessed in some recent CC ties, but there's still a massive gulf in playing quality that means the likes of Halifax, Sheffield, Leigh, Batley and Featherstone (as they are now) would get stuffed most weeks in SL.

They haven't. These are just silly internet rumours without any substance.

#392 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

You seem uncertain about the 2015 application going in and Mr. Nahaboo's input? Can you clarify things for us Terry?

I think what terry means is that mark and Craig work very hard for our club and run the club. If it wasn't for these 2 we wouldn't be in the position were in now. I think what he's trying to say is everyone thinks our application hinges on mr Nahaboo but it doesn't it hinges on mark and Craig.

#393 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,620 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

That's not the point one little bit.

Do you think Fev, Leigh, Fax or Eagles had more money or resources in 2011 and do you think any of them would have managed to do better than Salford.

No, but we're now talking 2013.

#394 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

No

No will do fine.

The licensing panel made the right decision.

That was in 2011.

#395 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I think what terry means is that mark and Craig work very hard for our club and run the club. If it wasn't for these 2 we wouldn't be in the position were in now. I think what he's trying to say is everyone thinks our application hinges on mr Nahaboo but it doesn't it hinges on mark and Craig.

Why?

Are they going to bankroll the deficit the shortfall in fans will create for the club?

Terry has said Mr. Nahaboo will do this.

#396 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

They haven't. These are just silly internet rumours without any substance.

Well Warrington got a substantial crowd in Barcelona. Or was that an internet rumour.

#397 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Why?

Are they going to bankroll the deficit the shortfall in fans will create for the club?

Terry has said Mr. Nahaboo will do this.

Are you forgetting mark as got plenty of money too? Mr nahaboo is helping with finances yes but is he be all and end all of our application no.If mark decided he as had enough and walked away we would be in a bad way. If mr Nahaboo walked away it wouldn't worry me no where near as much as it would if mark left.

Edited by thundergaz, 20 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#398 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

The problem is that you a driving finances down rather than working on bringing finances up.

We don't need ideas to use less money, we need ideas to generate more money.

Yes, but until such extra financing can be found and to avoid any more clubs doing a Bradford or a Salford, maybe it would be prudent to trim the wage bill to affordable levels.

#399 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I like Featherstone and their fans, but to suggest that they're a bigger club than Castleford is utterly proposterous. I also admire the clubs ambition to get into Super League, but I'm afraid that no matter how many times they win the Championship, or how many new stands they erect, they're never going to get there. If Salford (hopefully not) go belly up, then it'll be full speed ahead for another French outfit - probably Toulouse. Featherstone just doesn't fit with the RFL's adherence to the laws of 'expansionism' - like it or not (for the record, I don't like it). In a European Super League age, where clubs have been mooted in Dublin, Barcelona and Glasgow, does anyone really believe that RL authorities are going to see a club from a tiny former pit village as the way forward for them?
Also, the top Championship clubs CAN compete with a number of SL clubs in one-off matches as we've witnessed in some recent CC ties, but there's still a massive gulf in playing quality that means the likes of Halifax, Sheffield, Leigh, Batley and Featherstone (as they are now) would get stuffed most weeks in SL.

They would so get stuffed in SL BUT so do London, Widnes, Salford, Castleford and in the 8 games against those teams and maybe the home games against some other lesser like like Hull KR and Huddersfield they would have a chance of winning and the worst team from that little group would be relegated be it Fev or one of those other strugglers.

#400 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

To enter the football league a club needs to meet minimum stadium criteria. To then progress into the championship / premier league a club needs to meet further stadium criteria. For example, terracing is banned in the top two divisions and there are specific requirements for press and broadcast facilities, size of changing rooms, etc, etc. So yes, the FL/FA could tell a club it cannot be promoted.

The stadia not being up to scratch that the licencing committee used to regulalrly beat CC clubs around the head with is really becoming passe.

Halifax, Leigh, Featherstone, Workington, Sheffield are SL ready.

Batley have an excellent stadium which couod easily be SL compliant if the capacity was upped a little.

Dewsbury are updating their ground as we speak.

York have a new groundshare with York City promised which will be SL compliant

Whitehaven are waiting for the Pow Beck scheme to be built.

This leaves only Keighley, Hunslet and Barrow who could be denied on ground criteria.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users